Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 PM   #281
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperFaNaTic View Post
The Flames are 13th in the league for goals with 58. The Flames are producing enough goals.
Do they look like a mid pack offensive team to you? Not to me, they look much much better with the chances they generate and aggressive offensive zone play.
They are 5th in shots on net as well per game.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 PM   #282
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Smith on 960

No idea how the goal went in. Can't happen
Letting your team down is the the most frustrating and disappointing thing in your career. When it's on you, it's really disappointing

Asked if he's had stretches like this before: absolutely. Have to work hard, practice and work your way through it. Grind your way through it.

Felt good coming in. Had a nice week of practice. Worked hard to find it and get the confidence back

No idea how it got through me.

Try to get some sleep tonight, come back tomorrow and get back on it.

Smith wasn't hiding from it. A bit sarcastic but that came across as a guy who is really frustrated with himself. Handled the questions professionally in my opinion.

You have to go with Rittich next. But I will admit I appreciate smith owning it.
Very reminiscent of Elliott in the 2015 playoff series vs Anaheim....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 PM   #283
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Smith on 960

No idea how the goal went in. Can't happen
Letting your team down is the the most frustrating and disappointing thing in your career. When it's on you, it's really disappointing

Asked if he's had stretches like this before: absolutely. Have to work hard, practice and work your way through it. Grind your way through it.

Felt good coming in. Had a nice week of practice. Worked hard to find it and get the confidence back

No idea how it got through me.

Try to get some sleep tonight, come back tomorrow and get back on it.

Smith wasn't hiding from it. A bit sarcastic but that came across as a guy who is really frustrated with himself. Handled the questions professionally in my opinion.

You have to go with Rittich next. But I will admit I appreciate smith owning it.
Sounds good, I hope he can be a good professional and be solid backup for this team. I’m sure a man with his ego becoming a backup will be a tough pill to swallow but if he wants to win and stay in the league that’s what he will have to do. Him starting multiple games in one week is only going to hurt his chances of staying in the league.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #284
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Good to hear he's at least being honest with himself.
Which is why I only want him demoted to backup and not strapped to a rocket and fired into the sun. Owning it is great... but doesn't change a damn thing.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #285
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Just heard Smith's post-game interview. He completely owned the 3rd goal, and said those kinds of goals can't go in, especially when your team is playing as well as they were in that game. Good to hear he's at least being honest with himself.
Cool. Doesn’t solve the problem. The #### worker knows he’s ####. Great, our bottom line still suffers
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #286
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Which part of the “ last 4 games “ did you not understand?

They were 3rd in goals for 2 weeks ago.

My fault I am sorry. Point being, it is unfair imo to blame this on players when they had 44 shots, allowed only 22 shots, and dominated possession. Team can’t gain any momentum if their goalie lets in a softie every game.

Last edited by KipperFaNaTic; 11-15-2018 at 10:50 PM.
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #287
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lost is all this is that I thought Brodie had a great game. Skated the puck well and got the puck on net. At least he's really turned his career around playing with Gio.

Andersson looked great too. Was on the ice in the dying seconds and got a chance at the end.

Price was excellent. Some say he was good, not great. But that's because Carey Price makes it look easy. Kipper had the same effect. He'd be the reason the team won, and yet he made it looks simple. Price didn't need to make 10-bell saves. He was always in excellent position and was able to see through screens and anticipate plays. All game long I kept thinking how lucky the Habs are to have Price, and how awesome it would be if the Flames' had a goalie like him.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #288
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Very reminiscent of Elliott in the 2015 playoff series vs Anaheim....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I think Elliott in 2015 playoffs is the angriest I've ever been with the Flames goalies in the 35 years (or so) watching the team.

With Smith, the guy is winding down his career. He's proud but it doesn't change the fact that he's done.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #289
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Listening to Loubo and Wills on my way home from the game makes me want to puke in my mouth. Trying to deflect it away from Smith and put it in the shoulders of “world class goaltender” Carey Price.

Loubo needs to go back to covering junior hockey. I don’t give a #### if he’s a nice guy or not. He’s paid millions of dollars to stop the goddamn puck and no one in this organization owes him ####.

Listening to those two you’d think we were an elite team at the top of the standings when in fact we’re very average and a bubble playoff team at best. Lousy goaltending, average defence and average defence most nights it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #290
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Do they look like a mid pack offensive team to you? Not to me, they look much much better with the chances they generate and aggressive offensive zone play.
They are 5th in shots on net as well per game.
6 goals in the last 4 games. Don’t fall in love too much. I’d say this team has a lack of scoring depth. They sure can hit the net with shots though...
Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #291
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich needs multiple consecutive starts. He should be starting the rest of this home stand at the very least. If Smith is here to stay for the year let him try work out of his funk in a couple of intense practices. Don’t risk valuable points in important games hoping he finds his game. Also get the guy a sports psychologist stat. We’ve been extremely fortunate that the OOT’s have been very very friendly as of late and hasn’t completely knocked us out of the playoff picture, not starting a guy with top 3 GAA’s and Sv% is asinine at this point.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #292
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Price was cool and in control. Played the angles perfectly. He’s elite.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #293
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Call out some calls for sure. But you're setting a terrible terrible precedent for your team if you constantly go after the officials. You should be coaching them to ignore the refereeing BS and play through. Steel yourselves against tyranny and you shall prevail. Or something like that.
Spot on. You go to that whip too often and you start creating a room full of victims who start dividing their energy between what they can control on the ice, and something over which they have little influence.

As for Smith, I suspect the door is now officially open for Rittich to audition for the #1 spot. Peters made a choice to respect the pedigree of a veteran, and regardless of who the players want behind them, they know they play for a coach who will give you some rope as long as the effort is extended. At this point Smith has been afforded an opportunity to display his wares, and he didn't have a lot to showcase. Replacing Smith with Rittich is seemless at this point, there is far less pressure on him to succeed as the team is presently being backed by someone doubting himself, and I can't see anyone in the room believing Smith has been slighted in any manner.

Of course if Smith is in the crease Saturday night, team management sees something the rest of us don't, or are just intent on forcing a large square peg into a small round hole. Regardless, if Peters/Treliving insist on sinking or swimming on the play of Mike Smith, they're likely to become familiar with the terrain at the bottom of the pond.
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #294
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Umm this has been said for the past few games already.. how many last chances does the guy need.
You'd have to ask Peters, but if Smith goes in again against the Oilers it's the ultimate position to fail, and Peters definitely knows that.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #295
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the comments about Wills and Loubo.

Those two are seriously nauseating.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #296
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperFaNaTic View Post
The Flames are 13th in the league for goals with 58. The Flames are producing enough goals.
It's pretty sad that the Flames have to score 4 to 5 goals to win games because their goalie spots them at least 1 or 2 softies per game.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #297
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Price was cool and in control. Played the angles perfectly. He’s elite.
Lol. He has the worst save percentage of any goalie in the league over the last 50 starts.

Price rivals Lucic as the worst contract in the entire NHL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #298
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Rittich definitely needs a few consecutive starts. Hope he can run with it.

Just no idea what to do with Smith. Release him.......who do you sign? Trade him.......to where, for whom, and at what price? Keep him?

Treliving's future rests with Smith imo. If he keeps him around and Smith somehow finds his game it's the right move. If he doesn't do anything and this team is sunk due to goaltending he won't be the GM next season.

Interesting times ahead.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #299
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I really like Wills and Lou.

Perhaps it is because I live in Edmonton and see what the alternatives can be.
I’ve always liked Loubo but the past few years he’s really grinding my gears. No objectivity at all. Just a PR puppet.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #300
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silver linings for tonight:

Canucks lost again, 6-2 to the Wild.

Leafs are currently leading the Sharks 4-3 in the 3rd.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote