Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #61
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Just don't wear shorts to work.
Dress code or no dress code, don't do it.

Are you playing a sport? Are you sitting on a patio, or enjoying a nice day out in the sun? If you answered no, don't wear shorts.
Offices are always cold anyway; you'll immediate wish you just wore pants.
Ignore this. We recently moved offices where a bunch of different offices moved into one here in Quarry Park. We standardized the dress code and the biggest thing I miss is not being able to wear shorts during the summer. Back in the old office, unless I'm meeting an external client or have a big formal meeting, basically from June - Sept, I wear pants maybe 5 times max during that 4 to 5 month period, in or out of work. It was glorious.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #62
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Stretch chino shorts are awesome. I suggest a golf brand like Callaway, they are designed to look good and to stretch while playing golf. Tight canvas style shorts are super uncomfortable.

I pair them with a golf shirt on course, but have also done short sleeve button up collared shirts (untucked) with a pair of Lacoste "Marice" style shoe. Not too often though, I feel like a frat boy. Kind of like this

To be honest though, I'm patiently waiting for cargo shorts to come back. I love all the pockets hahahaha
Just to be clear, you have to be handsome AF to pull off this kind of look.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #63
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would say that if you're looking at the Banana Republic price point, check out J Crew instead. I find their materials and fit to be far superior. In terms of fit and quality, their 484 chinos might be the best value out there.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #64
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Yeah J crew is SUPER reasonable and has great stuff. I outfitted myself for a wedding for around $100.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #65
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
If that guy did up two more buttons, that'd pretty much be my go to "hot summer day" uniform.

I don't get the "don't wear shorts, but if you have to" line at all. Like all clothes, shorts work for some people and don't for others. But they're a hell of a lot cooler than jeans, and practicality counts for something. Shoes I wear with shorts, from most common to least common:
So basically, you're looking at deck shoes and low top casual leather sneakers, in various non-loud colours - white and grey are generally the best bets, followed by blue.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #66
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someday I will buy Common Projects. Maybe next summer.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #67
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
And pretty fit. It's like those chubby dudes who wear the muscle v neck shirts that look like they're about two sizes too small lol. Not a good look.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #68
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Someday I will buy Common Projects. Maybe next summer.
You can have two pairs of mine, if you feel like refurbishing the hell out of them and are a size 45.

I've always said that if you have a pair of raw denim, a pair of CP achilles, a few decent fitting shirts and a good piece of outerwear, you've pretty much got everything you need in your wardrobe (especially for Vancouver where you are). But frankly, unless you really, really love the toe shape of the Achilles, the Wings + Horns offerings are just better made shoes, and it's a Canadian company (though the shoes themselves are made in Italy). I haven't had enough time with the Garment Project Achilles-ish models to be able to speak to whether you lose anything going that alternative. They're a bit thinner, but they look as good, so we'll see, as far as the longevity goes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #69
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

How did I do?

Spoiler!

Last edited by FanIn80; 08-20-2019 at 05:03 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #70
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree with everything above except for the Lululemon bit. Their office wear is casual and can look pretty good on a certain person. Everything else, just pay some money, you are an adult.
Can I ask what's the stuff that is way off? I'm a little confused how essentially everything is essentially wrong. It's not like I'm telling him to go with a cargo shorts, Hawaiian shirt, tie and chukka boots or something.

The stuff I'm suggesting is reasonably on par with a street casual/or a slight mix of casual and formal. I believed OP was trying to move from overly casual to something closer to business attire without being all out business formal. I also don't think I suggested anything insanely different than what most others have mentioned already.

I also suggested a range of of stuff from cheap to higher end. Banana Republic/J Crew is essentially baseline, but there's stuff from Simons/H&M that can help round out gaps in the wardrobe/throw a little occasional variety for reasonably little extra money. I didn't go full on cheap or anything like suggest he go to value village.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #71
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
How did I do?

Spoiler!
Seems like a solid combo to me so far. A polo and belt would definitely round out that ensemble IMO. But others might disagree.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #72
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You can have two pairs of mine, if you feel like refurbishing the hell out of them and are a size 45.

I've always said that if you have a pair of raw denim, a pair of CP achilles, a few decent fitting shirts and a good piece of outerwear, you've pretty much got everything you need in your wardrobe (especially for Vancouver where you are). But frankly, unless you really, really love the toe shape of the Achilles, the Wings + Horns offerings are just better made shoes, and it's a Canadian company (though the shoes themselves are made in Italy). I haven't had enough time with the Garment Project Achilles-ish models to be able to speak to whether you lose anything going that alternative. They're a bit thinner, but they look as good, so we'll see, as far as the longevity goes.
It's just if I buy another pair of sneakers, my partner will murder me.

I've been wearing the heck out of a pair of Nike Internationalists all summer and will continue to do so into the fall.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #73
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
How did I do?

Spoiler!
Ah you did fine, Dad.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #74
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

No sneakerheads on CP?

Not wearing socks with sneakers is just... gross.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #75
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah no... that’s dumb.

Your physical appearance doesn’t matter. Just buy clothes that fit.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #76
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

A gentleman doesn't wear shorts ever unless for a specific activity, Tennis, Association Football or Rugby Union, if you have fallen to these depths don't worry about the shoes
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #77
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

@OP: I guess it hasn't been mentioned yet, but what about a lady's touch? Are there any lady friends with good fashion sense (doesn't have to be a significant other) who could help out in rounding out your wardrobe?

Until I met my now wife, I was a fashion idiot too. All that I know now is essentially trying different things and remembering whether my wife and sometimes her friends going:

Old 08-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Bruh these guys are all out to lunch. Get yourself a nice pair of Olukai and you’re set. The slick ones made out of leather those are class.
Quit giving away all of my super-secret styling techniques!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #79
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
A gentleman doesn't wear shorts ever unless for a specific activity, Tennis, Association Football or Rugby Union, if you have fallen to these depths don't worry about the shoes
Aeneas our European traveller says Europeans view shorts as the province of children and idiots.

I wonder how this works during their 40 C summer.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #80
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
@OP: I guess it hasn't been mentioned yet, but what about a lady's touch? Are there any lady friends with good fashion sense (doesn't have to be a significant other) who could help out in rounding out your wardrobe?

Until I met my now wife, I was a fashion idiot too. All that I know now is essentially trying different things and remembering whether my wife and sometimes her friends going:

Naw, I’m essentially a hermit. I have a couple real-world friends, and the rest of my interactions are pretty much family, here (CP) or work-related. Or with my cat. Wow it’s actually not as bad to live it as it sounds like it is when I type it out...

Having said that, I’ve progressed through some different stages along the way. Don’t care about participating -> don’t want to participate -> want to participate -> participate incorrectly -> how the #### do I participate correctly? (that’s the stage I’m at now) -> participate correctly

Last edited by FanIn80; 08-20-2019 at 05:41 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote