Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #161
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
How is Tre so good at RFA contracts and so bad at UFA contracts? Baffling.
Not really. Nearly everybody is bad at UFA contracts. It's an inherent issue with the July 1 signing rush.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #162
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is a great signing imo also. Going forward $4.5mil is pretty much a #4 defenseman salary and he projects to be that at worst. He essentially is that already.

However those that think a Brodie or Hamonic trade is imminent may need to rethink. Flames defensive depth below the seven on the roster is very thin. Valimaki will almost definitely need to spend the rest of the regular season in the AHL and the rest of the guys in Stockton are fringe 8/9 guys (Davidson, Valiev, Neilson) or inexperienced, unproven guys (Leslie. Yelesin, Hamilton etc).

Our defense is an injury away from being a weak spot
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #163
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Agree with everything but letting Hamonic walk in the off-season. I think the Flames should trade him and recoup some assets. No lock Brodie is re-signed so letting one walk is acceptable but not both and no to a 6x6 for Brodie
I'm a guy who still likes Hamonic more than most posters here. But unless you think Hamonic is essential for PO success, yeah, you need to get what you can for him (and based on Frolik, I think you can get something decent).

Now, I recognize and don't dismiss an argument that you need guys like Hamonic for the POs, and in fact you need all the NHL defencemen you can afford - see 2004, when Lydman and Gauthier go down in the first series, and you need Commodore and Montador (RIP) in a big way.

But if you are essentially cutting Hamonic down to 3rd pairing minutes, and if you think, between Stone, Kylington, Davidson, and any other bottom pairing guy who might be thrown in in a deal or grabbed off waivers, etc, you can survive, then get some assets.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #164
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
This is a great signing imo also. Going forward $4.5mil is pretty much a #4 defenseman salary and he projects to be that at worst. He essentially is that already.

However those that think a Brodie or Hamonic trade is imminent may need to rethink. Flames defensive depth below the seven on the roster is very thin. Valimaki will almost definitely need to spend the rest of the regular season in the AHL and the rest of the guys in Stockton are fringe 8/9 guys (Davidson, Valiev, Neilson) or inexperienced, unproven guys (Leslie. Yelesin, Hamilton etc).

Our defense is an injury away from being a weak spot
I hear what you are saying, but I think that they will trade for a 6/7 and then trade away Hamonic, so they don't lose out on potentially recouping the original cost to acquire him.

Awesome signing though, either way!
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #165
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm likely in the minority here but this deal (to me) spells the end of Brodie as a Flame. I can't see him, or Hamonic for that matter, here next season.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #166
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
How is Tre so good at RFA contracts and so bad at UFA contracts? Baffling.
Far from baffling in my opinion. With RFA’s he has control and is able to use that as leverage to get a deal for his player. Not all RFA’s can force their way out and they want to get paid with long term security at a young age so he is able to get a fair deal typically around 6 years (Johnny, Hamilton, Hanifin, Lindholm, Andersson)

When looking at UFA’s he is competing in the open market and has the challenge of being in Calgary which results in an overpay. Calgary is a fishbowl but also a small market. We currently have a terrible building, bad weather and tons of pressure. Easily a bottom 10 if not bottom 5 destination for players. He needs to overpay for second tier guys and doesn’t get a shot at the real top end guys.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #167
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm likely in the minority here but this deal (to me) spells the end of Brodie as a Flame. I can't see him, or Hamonic for that matter, here next season.
Definitely one is gone (I predict Hamonic) but both could be on the way out especially if the Flames feel Valimaki is a top 4 Dman.

Next year it might be interesting to see if Hanifin can play on his offside with either Gio or Valimaki as his partner.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #168
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely one is gone (I predict Hamonic) but both could be on the way out especially if the Flames feel Valimaki is a top 4 Dman.

Next year it might be interesting to see if Hanifin can play on his offside with either Gio or Valimaki as his partner.
I agree with you generally but it would be pretty tough to slot Valimaki in right away as he is missing a year where he should be developing as we speak
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #169
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I agree with you generally but it would be pretty tough to slot Valimaki in right away as he is missing a year where he should be developing as we speak
Valimaki probably won't be back before the trade deadline, and even if he is he will need to play in the AHL for a few weeks to get back up to speed. He definitely won't pick up where he left off.

For that reason, I still don't see the Flames trading Brodie or Hamonic this season. However, I don't think the Flames will retain either player, unless it is an extremely team friendly contract.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #170
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the Flames on the bubble losing Hamonic and Brodie for nothing this summer is poor asset management for a team lacking assets. This is how the window closes quickly.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #171
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

CapFriendly @CapFriendly
Rasmus Andersson's contract extension with the #Flames includes a Modified No Trade Clause in years 5 and 6 (would be UFA years) of the deal in which he can provide the club with a '6 Team No Trade' list.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #172
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With the Flames on the bubble losing Hamonic and Brodie for nothing this summer is poor asset management for a team lacking assets. This is how the window closes quickly.
Compromising this season to recuperate a few picks is an even bigger waste of assets. Injuries in the NHL are not an if but a when. The Flames have been lucky so far this year. If you trade a d-man and someone gets hurt Davidson will have to play every night and your 7 D man will be Yelleshin, who has never played an NHL game in his life.

This would change is Valimaki comes back sooner rather then later. But I am skeptical that he will play a game for the Flames this year.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #173
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, and I was hoping they could have maximized value by dealing with it last summer. Treliving felt that way as well, seeing as he had Brodie all but dealt to TO for Kadri.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #174
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am good with looking for a depth defenseman to be 6/7 if Hamonic is traded.

If you want to make any noise in the playoffs this year, you have to upgrade the forward group IMO. I think we see a flurry of activity from Treliving by the deadline, especially since the team really hasn't had any change for 18 months now.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #175
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I am good with looking for a depth defenseman to be 6/7 if Hamonic is traded.

If you want to make any noise in the playoffs this year, you have to upgrade the forward group IMO. I think we see a flurry of activity from Treliving by the deadline, especially since the team really hasn't had any change for 18 months now.
I could see this happening, and it is the only condition on which I would explore moving Hamonic.

Had Valimaki been healthy this year, then Treliving almost certainly would have followed through with his attempt to trade Brodie, but the Flames now find themselves on the cusp of ensuring there are enough NHL defensemen for the stretch-drive and into the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #176
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's come a long way since Fatmus Sandwichsson. Top pairing potential. Has always reminded me of a Doughty-lite.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #177
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

News Update

CapFriendly @CapFriendly
Rasmus Andersson's contract extension with the #Flames includes a Modified No Trade Clause in years 5 and 6 (would be UFA years) of the deal in which he can provide the club with a '6 Team No Trade' list.
1. Edmonton
2. Edmonton
3. Edmonton
4. Edmonton
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver Edmonton
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #178
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
1. Edmonton
2. Edmonton
3. Edmonton
4. Edmonton
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver Edmonton
Beaten to the punch.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #179
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Compromising this season to recuperate a few picks is an even bigger waste of assets. Injuries in the NHL are not an if but a when. The Flames have been lucky so far this year. If you trade a d-man and someone gets hurt Davidson will have to play every night and your 7 D man will be Yelleshin, who has never played an NHL game in his life.

This would change is Valimaki comes back sooner rather then later. But I am skeptical that he will play a game for the Flames this year.
I disagree. I would rather the team spend a 4-6th rounder on an upgrade on Davidson rather than lose 2 top 4 D for nothing this summer especially when our GM paid a 1st and 2 2nds for one of those players (who has never been as good as his reputation)

This team is not winning a round because of Hamonic in my opinion. Valimaki is ahead of schedule so I think we see him in early March with a month to get ready for the playoffs. Because of his reputation I think teams will cover Hamonic and he can get a decent return that will help the Flames in the future. So far there is no reason for me to think this team is close enough to put their chips in for this season.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:33 PM   #180
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. I would rather the team spend a 4-6th rounder on an upgrade on Davidson rather than lose 2 top 4 D for nothing this summer especially when our GM paid a 1st and 2 2nds for one of those players (who has never been as good as his reputation)

This team is not winning a round because of Hamonic in my opinion. Valimaki is ahead of schedule so I think we see him in early March with a month to get ready for the playoffs. Because of his reputation I think teams will cover Hamonic and he can get a decent return that will help the Flames in the future. So far there is no reason for me to think this team is close enough to put their chips in for this season.
Absolutely, hopefully get a first or 2 seconds for Hamonic, use some of our lower picks for a depth defenceman. If we let both Brodie and Hamonic walk for nothing that’ll be a disaster.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote