Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2018, 11:19 PM   #401
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Yeah.
He was 9th in Norris voting last season.
Where do you think he'll be this year?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:21 PM   #402
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton was top 5 on 11 ballots last season.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #403
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Where do you think he'll be this year?
It’s must be kind of embarrassing for you to make stupid and unqualified statements that are so easy to research and ergo prove your assertions wrong.

To answer your question. He will receive some. How many?
I have no idea.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 11:28 PM   #404
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he ends up top goal-scorer or among them, he'll probably get a few votes.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #405
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Oilers first and second for Hamilton.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 AM   #406
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Oilers first and second for Hamilton.
And the only way Flames win that trade is if the pick wins the lottery and we pick Dahlin (and that Dahlin doesn’t bust, which I feel is very unlikely but still). Hamilton is extremely underrated here. The thought of trading him for anything but an elite level young Centermen sends shivers up my spine.

Just read an article in the Athletic about the Norris race and Hamilton had the third highest ‘game score’, Gio was 8th. He’s not going to win, no doubt, but he will garner plenty of votes this year. He’s not a perfect defensemen by any means, and lol at whoever suggested he’ll never be Pronger as if that’s some kind of realistic expectation for any defensemen, but he’s a damn fine player and one of the better ones in the league. I’m hoping to see a new coaching staff that actually puts a little more faith in him and hopefully we’ll see him take the last step he needs to be considered elite.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:41 AM   #407
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
And the only way Flames win that trade is if the pick wins the lottery and we pick Dahlin (and that Dahlin doesn’t bust, which I feel is very unlikely but still). Hamilton is extremely underrated here. The thought of trading him for anything but an elite level young Centermen sends shivers up my spine.

Just read an article in the Athletic about the Norris race and Hamilton had the third highest ‘game score’, Gio was 8th. He’s not going to win, no doubt, but he will garner plenty of votes this year. He’s not a perfect defensemen by any means, and lol at whoever suggested he’ll never be Pronger as if that’s some kind of realistic expectation for any defensemen, but he’s a damn fine player and one of the better ones in the league. I’m hoping to see a new coaching staff that actually puts a little more faith in him and hopefully we’ll see him take the last step he needs to be considered elite.
Yeah, if he finds the right way to increase “game score” he can be an award winner. Right.

He isn’t even close to the best D man on this team. Just watch him let Kane breeze by and score, while you go ahead and tuck the stats somewhere dark.

Pronger? Hart with StL. Won with Anaheim, made even the lowly Oilers respectable. To the person you reference, don’t you even dare mention Hamilton in the same breath as Pronger.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 03-25-2018 at 03:46 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:48 AM   #408
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah, if he finds the right way to increase “game score” he can be an award winner. Right.

He isn’t even close to the best D man on this team. Just watch him let Kane breeze by and score, while you go ahead and tuck the stats somewhere dark.

Pronger? Hart with StL. Won with Anaheim, made even the lowly Oilers respectable. Don’t you even dare mention Hamilton in the same breath as Pronger.
What? I could care less if he wins an award, Im just trying to point how much respect he has from other spectators around the league. Just more evidence of how wildly underrated he is here. Gio is still the best defensemen on this team. Hamilton is not far behind, they make one of the best pairs in the league. You don’t touch it unless the return is extreme. I don’t believe in ‘untouchables’, but if Tkachuk and Gaudreau are on that kind of list then so is Hamilton. Any player is tradeable but the only way it happens is if you get another teams ‘untouchable’.

And I could care less what’s going on with how they’re playing right now. Teams clearly given up, and it goes throughout the whole team. Coach needs to go, plain as day now.

And to your last blurb, I was pointing out how laughable comparing him to Pronger is, and how unrealistic an expectation for any defensemen that would be. Comprehension.

Last edited by jonkaupp; 03-25-2018 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:23 AM   #409
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What? I could care less if he wins an award, Im just trying to point how much respect he has from other spectators around the league. Just more evidence of how wildly underrated he is here. Gio is still the best defensemen on this team. Hamilton is not far behind, they make one of the best pairs in the league. You don’t touch it unless the return is extreme. I don’t believe in ‘untouchables’, but if Tkachuk and Gaudreau are on that kind of list then so is Hamilton. Any player is tradeable but the only way it happens is if you get another teams ‘untouchable’.

And I could care less what’s going on with how they’re playing right now. Teams clearly given up, and it goes throughout the whole team. Coach needs to go, plain as day now.

And to your last blurb, I was pointing out how laughable comparing him to Pronger is, and how unrealistic an expectation for any defensemen that would be. Comprehension.
Hamilton to me can score goals but defensively he is below average. He is a big guy but he is too soft. Gio covers up for him but it shows too many games. Right now he has alot of value and this team needs a sniper in the worst way. To me if your brother is on the team at this level just to do drive you around and do your laundry that says something.

Last edited by Kybb79; 03-25-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:13 AM   #410
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Well said, a year ago i was furious with how poor Hamilton played against Anaheim in the playoffs and he still has his warts in his own zone that Gio covers up, but to trade him now with the way him and Gio play is crazy. Imagine Hamilton with a coach that plays a quicker transition game creating odd man rushes. Along with first PP minutes all year, he will score 25-30 goals from the back end.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #411
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Hamilton to me can score goals but defensively he is below average. He is a big guy but he is too soft. Gio covers up for him but it shows too many games. Right now he has alot of value and this team needs a sniper in the worst way. To me if your brother is on the team at this level just to do drive you around and do your laundry that says something.
Umm. Freddie has been with the Coyotes since almost four months, and Dougie hasn't missed a beat since.

You seem to have missed quite a bit though.
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dajazz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #412
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Umm. Freddie has been with the Coyotes since almost four months, and Dougie hasn't missed a beat since.

You seem to have missed quite a bit though.
Honestly, comments like that aren’t even worth addressing. If someone wants to peddle a very stupid conspiracy theory about Hamilton and his brother without even having the most basic knowledge about it then just let them stay in their own world.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:01 AM   #413
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
It’s must be kind of embarrassing for you to make stupid and unqualified statements that are so easy to research and ergo prove your assertions wrong.

To answer your question. He will receive some. How many?
I have no idea.
Nah, I'll let you continue to do the research. That's the point of the question. Run along now Timmy.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #414
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
One thing that all coaches can agree on is that Hamilton is too defensively inept and soft that he is not put on the PK on anything other than dire emergency basis. Maybe it is unfair to single out Hamilton as a tire fire seeing how the teams top players are getting their collective butt kicked down the "playoff run".

Gaudreau -11
Backlund -10
Gio -10
Hamilton -9
Monahan -9
Bennett -9

This is the biggest playoff fail since Bouwmeester decide not to play down the stretch. At least on that team Bouwmeester stood out as a fail.

This team's biggest need is a heart transplant.

Since Backlund signed his contract extension he has become un-tradeable. -10 1 goal 1 pt in the last 10 most important games of the year. Some people suggest he be given an "A" !!!

How much would the Flames have to retain of his salary to move him?

The biggest mystery is not that Trevling is ready to dump his mistakes to start a rebuild ( hopefully focused more on players with some character) it is that the ownership is considering giving him a chance.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #415
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
One thing that all coaches can agree on is that Hamilton is too defensively inept and soft that he is not put on the PK on anything other than dire emergency basis.

If by “all” coaches, you mean Gulutzan’s overly incompetent ass, then sure. Prior to that, he was a very, very young Boston Bruin - and I can’t speak to whether or not he was on the PK.

Gulutzan uses Brouwer on the PP and PK, so read into his player utilization all you want - but you can’t escape the fact that he’s awful at it.

Fact is, Hamilton is one of our top two defencemen and doesn’t get used the way he should because of inept coaching. Nothing else. There’s no defending Gully’s player use.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #416
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD EDIT: No insults, please.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 03-25-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #417
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Removed insulting post.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 03-25-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #418
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Another point I want to mention is this ‘Hamilton is weak defensively’ garbage... it’s really not true. He has his odd bone head play but overall all metrics point to a very good two way defensemen.

Brodie on the other hand is garbage defensively and seemingly regressing every year. It’s so funny to me that the anime guy constantly comes up with dumb reasons to trade our best young defensemen while on the other hand he never shuts up about getting Brodie back with Gio and creating excuses for why Brodie’s numbers are bad. Hamilton/Gio is a better pair than Brodie/Gio ever was.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #419
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
One thing that all coaches can agree on is that Hamilton is too defensively inept and soft that he is not put on the PK on anything other than dire emergency basis. Maybe it is unfair to single out Hamilton as a tire fire seeing how the teams top players are getting their collective butt kicked down the "playoff run".

Gaudreau -11
Backlund -10
Gio -10
Hamilton -9
Monahan -9
Bennett -9

This is the biggest playoff fail since Bouwmeester decide not to play down the stretch. At least on that team Bouwmeester stood out as a fail.

This team's biggest need is a heart transplant.

Since Backlund signed his contract extension he has become un-tradeable. -10 1 goal 1 pt in the last 10 most important games of the year. Some people suggest he be given an "A" !!!

How much would the Flames have to retain of his salary to move him?

The biggest mystery is not that Trevling is ready to dump his mistakes to start a rebuild ( hopefully focused more on players with some character) it is that the ownership is considering giving him a chance.
Ricardo did say a couple of things I agree with here. Some of these players were a massive disappointment in last quarter of the season. And it certainly bothers me to see Backlund's play post contract signing.

Going to be a challenge for any coach to fix the fragility of this team. But certainly gives credence to hiring an established winner so these players can continue to believe in the approach even when things are tough.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #420
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Right, but i'm not talking about points, I'm talking about personalities.

Burns always had a competitive edge to his game. I don't see the same from Hamilton.

Do you see it from Hamilton? If no, do you think it's something that can be learned?
Hey Flash, I agree with this 100%, but he does show an edge at times. However, I'm not sure how much that softness has been coached into him by Gulutzan, so I'm willing to see how he responds under another coach. He certainly wasn't "soft" in Boston by any means. Not a bruiser either, but he didn't back down from contact and held his own defensively. I honestly think he's a young player who's had a bad coach for the last couple of years.

And we can talk about how points don't matter, but honestly, goal scoring is hugely important in the NHL these days, and goal scoring defensemen are at a premium. Then you factor in the reality that Hamilton has scored 16 goals which is 5th on the team, and he's 4th on the team in point production (also 4th in +/- at +1 on a team that is well in the negative in goal differential). That's a significant hole to create on a team that already struggles to score goals ranked 26th, and who only just recently eclipsed the 200 goal mark as a team.

In short, Hamilton is too important to this team to worry about small things like intangibles. He can play, and he probably needs a little different direction from a better coach.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote