Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #181
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fail to see how Francis is waffling on the coach. In the article below, he is of the opinion that the flames will fire GG. I don’t think He really gives an opinion on whether or not the flames are making the correct decision or not. He just gives a bunch of reasons why they will likely fire him.

In the tv interview, he mentions coaching early on how coaching is part of the issue, but the interview then goes on to focus on players and those that hate to lose.

To me this season is a collective effort of the coaches and the players. The coaches for failing to understand how to utilize, prepare and motivate players.

And the players for failing to elevate there game.

The organization is left with two choices, fire the coach, or clear the dressing room. The coach always loses in these situations, regardless of whether or not he is a good coach or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
And today Francis is waffling on the coach.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...current-needs/

So in the past 24 hours he's told us that everyone is the problem.

I guess if you touch all the bases you're bound to be right about something.

Last edited by Northendzone; 03-23-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #182
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I fail to see how Francis is waffling on the coach. In the article below, he is of the opinion that the flames will fire GG. I don’t think He really gives an opinion on whether or not the flames are making the correct decision or not.

In the tv interview, he mentions coaching early on how coaching is part of the issue, but the interview then goes on to focus on players and those that hate to lose.
I thought yesterday he wasn't blaming the coach. I may have been mistaken when looking through the bullet points of his interview yesterday.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #183
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is briefly mentioned early on and they never come back to the topic.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #184
EM11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Unpopular opinion, but I also think Iggy didn't hate to lose enough. It's endemic to this organization. A lot of shoulder shrugging and "we have to be better." For years!
Old 03-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #185
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Its your troll like posts that make you sound like an Oilers fan

Trade JG for a couple firsts lol

get lost
Wow, a person cannot have an opinion on this board anymore. I would say to you, dino7c, take your own advice.
I have soured on the kid big time.
I am not the only one on the board either, you going to tell every one of them to get lost as well?
Old 03-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #186
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Was Iggy a great leader though? Flames were floundering around basically in the same spot during his whole time here, with the exception of 2004, as the team is now. Hovering between 8-10th or worse in the west. Same crap for almost 30 years now.
Flames were in the playoffs 5 years in a row....and had competitive playoff series..... right until they signed Bouwmeester and then they were 3 years with 90 94 and 90 pts.

Consistently making the playoffs is definitely up a level on the current group 77 94 and 80 to 85
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #187
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Flames were in the playoffs 5 years in a row....and had competitive playoff series..... right until they signed Bouwmeester and then they were 3 years with 90 94 and 90 pts.

Consistently making the playoffs is definitely up a level on the current group 77 94 and 80 to 85
By competitive playoff series do you mean losing in the first round every single time except for 2004?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #188
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Wow, a person cannot have an opinion on this board anymore. I would say to you, dino7c, take your own advice.
I am not the only one on the board either, you going to tell every one of them to get lost as well?
Like who?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #189
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Wat? Nobody else has "soured on the kid big time" a few people were saying they consider a trade for a Kings ransom.

Massive Difference

Guy is in on 40% of the offence, just saying "trade him" is not much of an opinion
Old 03-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #190
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
And how they act off ice after losses and in other circumstances.

I'm not trying to slander JG because I really like the guy as a hockey player and as a person having met him but he doesn't strike me as someone that hates to lose. It's a rare trait, again, not a lot of people have that aspect to their personality so it's not a chirp on him.
You still haven't said anything to back up your claim that Johnny doesn't hate to lose, I'm not trying to slander you either, but if you make the claim, back it up, at the very least give an example.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #191
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Like who?
Like me!
Old 03-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #192
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are saying player so and so doesn't hate to lose, my question is, are the current coaching staff hate to lose? Everything starts from the top, if the coaches are like "meh, there always the next game", it kinda infects the players too, IMO.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #193
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think anyone is untouchable but trading JG for picks? lol

That's basically blowing it up and going for another rebuild.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #194
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
You still haven't said anything to back up your claim that Johnny doesn't hate to lose, I'm not trying to slander you either, but if you make the claim, back it up, at the very least give an example.
If you listen to the clip, when Kypreos and Maclean and Francis are talking, they are asking the question as to who the leaders are. Kypreos says he doesn’t know if Johnny and Mony are ready to do what it takes to win. They all agree that Tkachuk has it, but wonder about the top duo.

Frankly there are a lot of legitimate questions that some people bristle about but are legitimate questions that do need to be asked.

Johnny - the guy has always been small and had something to prove. There was always the next level and the goal of being in the NHL. He has proven that he not only can make it, but that he can be among the league leaders in scoring, and he has now been paid. When he started in the NHL, he was picking guys’ pockets in the neutral zone and playing like he cared. So why did he skate by Kane and leave him ridiculously wide open? That’s not a mistake, it is pure “don’t give a s***”. I know the game doesn’t matter, but still he has teammates and a goalie to be accountable to. Is he trying to show up the coach? The goalie? It was pretty darn unprofessional, whatever it was.

Hamilton - yep, he is one of the top offensive d men in the game. But he sometimes lets guys very easily go to the front of the net, and he has been directly responsible for losing the team points by just not being hard to play against. We all remember Bouwmeester. The Flames could not win with him as the go to guy on D. At least Hamilton brings offense. But is he a guy that you can win with? That you can count on to have the compete you need in the d zone all the time? I spent a lot of time in Boston and the fans very much had that concern. Boston is hard to play against, and when you watch Dougie, he is not in the same conversation as Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, etc.
Can he be taught to do what it takes to win or would he have value in a trade, for an elite winger?

Smith - do the guys in the room like him? He sure has no trouble throwing teammates under the bus. Maybe it is refreshing. Maybe it rubs guys the wrong way when he lays several eggs in a row. Who knows? Remember Kipper who was amazing without being a loudmouth?

Just saying.

The team clearly has character issues on the whole, and I don’t think that CP whipping boys like Brouwer and Stajan are the problem. This team is not losing because of the 4th liners, I think it is more plausible that there could be issues with entitlement, accountability, drive, and things like that.

So when people are suggesting trading any of these guys, any GM who has a pulse on the room may have more available options to consider than CP thinks.

Certainly anyone on CP, in my mind, should be able to ask if any of these or other guys should be moved without being attacked.

(I really think that Hartley individually challenged a lot of guys and got the best out of them, and don’t think Gulutzan does. Just my opinion based on watching some practices and watching him and how he engages with players on the bench. I think each of these guys could be better but have to buy in to playing hard and be held accountable)

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 03-25-2018 at 05:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #195
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
By competitive playoff series do you mean losing in the first round every single time except for 2004?
Still better than what we’ve seen this season.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #196
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody is being "attacked" for making an actual trade proposal. Saying "trade him" every three posts about the teams best offensive player is dumb. Suggesting to trade players for far less than market value just to get a rise isn't an opinion it's straight up trolling.

JG isn't moving for a couple picks, Hamilton isn't going for Krieder...point per game and league leading goal scorers under 25 dont move unless the offer is astronomical.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-25-2018 at 06:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 06:54 PM   #197
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau is a great player and huge asset to have but I don't think he has the make up to be THE guy. Frustration often gets the best of him and his creativity hits a bit of a wall and he can't push guys around out there to impose his will.

We need to get to a place where johnny is complimentary to the offense but not the guy that is leaned on to pull the team through.

Tkachuk could be the guy that can be leaned on to swing the tide in big games in a couple years. But we need a couple guys on different lines that can elevate and take leadership that ####ing hate to lose.

Cant hang much on Monahan for the last few weeks but he would become instantly more valuable if he would get angry and use his size. First line is missing some bite, so whenever they're not feeling it they get walked rather than making life hard on the opposition when they're not scoring. You'd think Ferland would be an answer to that and he was for a month or two but he's been way too quiet since.

The top 6 needs an injection of skill and character and I think that should be BTs biggest priority.

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-25-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #198
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Suggesting that a player be traded because he doesn't always compete or because he probably gets us the most in return is not dumb. Criticising because you think you have all the correct answers is dumb. Laying the blame on the 4th line is equally dumb. All season we've heard how we need to bring up this player or that. Where has that gotten us. We haven't seen that magic RW scorer emerge. Nor have we seen any other players emerge from the farm. The only way to get that RW is to be prepared to move someone of value. Gadreau fits the bill regardless of whether you think that's dumb or not.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 PM   #199
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Gaudreau is a great player and huge asset to have but I don't think he has the make up to be THE guy. Frustration often gets the best of him and his creativity hits a bit of a wall and he can't push guys around out there to impose his will.

We need to get to a place where johnny is complimentary to the offense but not the guy that is leaned on to pull the team through.

Tkachuk could be the guy that can be leaned on to swing the tide in big games in a couple years. But we need a couple guys on different lines that can elevate and take leadership that ####ing hate to lose.

Cant hang much on Monahan for the last few weeks but he would become instantly more valuable if he would get angry and use his size. First line is missing some bite, so whenever they're not feeling it they get walked rather than making life hard on the opposition when they're not scoring. You'd think Ferland would be an answer to that and he was for a month or two but he's been way too quiet since.

The top 6 needs an injection of skill and character and I think that should be BTs biggest priority.
Nor should he be expected to be the guy to push others around. He needs somebody on his line to take care of business for him.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #200
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is nothing wrong with this team that Tavares couldn't fix.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread