Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #221
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It has to be noted that Treliving was in talks for trades for both Fleury and Bishop so things haven't worked in his favour when it comes to getting a starter but it's not been for lack of effort.
Seems to be the theme for BT to be in the mix but come up short. We were close on getting Kane, Pacioretty, and Hoffman at the deadline...all of which could have given us a huge boost and maybe gotten us into the playoffs. And from the sounds of some reports, it appears Bishop and Fleury both thought they were coming here at one point...so it's not like the opportunity didn't present itself.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #222
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
That's really not what the original post was about. The point is that there were other options with the ability to be a long-term solution and we spent assets on a stop-gap who exceeded expectations for the most part but isn't likely to be a solution beyond next year. Given the focus was so short-term and we missed the playoffs, I still see the Smith trade as another miss for Treliving. I like Hamonic. I like Smith. I don't mind Stone. But taken together, what we spent and the aftermath when we didn't make the playoffs, how can you not conclude Treliving misread things and had a bad summer last year?

The consensus was that Treliving did great last summer and George McPhee was a fool. What can you say? The consensus was wrong.
Such an easy conclusion to come to after the fact. The team had a really strong second half last season and the team is without a doubt improved this season. I'm not sure how he was suppose to predict we would regress.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #223
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Worst message for me last night:

Tune out the coach all you want. But this Ducks team has, over the years, beaten and verbally taunted you game in and out. That they couldn't pull themselves together not to be destroyed and smirked at on their home ice is on the players.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #224
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Such an easy conclusion to come to after the fact. The team had a really strong second half last season and the team is without a doubt improved this season. I'm not sure how he was suppose to predict we would regress.
Because it is his job and what he is payed to do.

I'm sick of hearing "how was he suppose to know his moves wouldn't work, at least he tried"

This isn't the try business, it's the get it done business. 3 years, zero playoff wins. Failure all round, and starts at the top.

BT failed to bring in:

1. A Coach who could win OR
2. Players who were good enough OR
3. Both
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #225
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Was Hamonic actually an improvement? I don’t think so. Time to stop waisting assets for junk and promote from within. Treliving needs to recoup picks or players that can score the puck. Not 11 pt Dmen.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-22-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #226
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Was Hamonic actually an improvement? I don’t think so. Time to stop waisting assets for junk and promote from within. Treliving needs to recoup picks or players that can score the puck. Not 11 pt Dmen.
Except judging the trade is a separate issue. I'm saying you have the same team as last year but you have improved goal tending. You have Hamonic and Stone for an entire year. You expect improvement from your young guys like Tkachuck, Ferland, Gaudreau, Monahan, Hamilton, etc. With the Flames playing very well in the second half of last season it would be reasonable to assume that the team and coach were getting on the same page. I just don't see how you can reasonably look at those things and conclude before the season started the team would be worse.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #227
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Because it is his job and what he is payed to do.

I'm sick of hearing "how was he suppose to know his moves wouldn't work, at least he tried"

This isn't the try business, it's the get it done business. 3 years, zero playoff wins. Failure all round, and starts at the top.

BT failed to bring in:

1. A Coach who could win OR
2. Players who were good enough OR
3. Both
You expected him to take over a team that just drafted 4th overall and have them winning multiple playoff rounds? I can understand being upset not making the playoffs this year but the 3 years previously they made the playoffs twice and won a round. Not sure what more you were expecting from the team at that stage.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #228
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
The organisation just doesn't have the quality of players in it that we need. The Hamonic trade is not looking great, but more to do with the team flopping and our 1st round pick being higher and higher, than the quality of the player. We certainly didn't have a d-man like Hamilton in our organisation. If you're going to bash trading, as a whole, then you have to take the good with the bad.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote