Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
The Flames should trade away 2 of Hamilton / Hamonic / Brodie / Stone before even thinking of adding yet another defenceman. There are still Andersson, Kylington, and Wotherspoon to deal with (maybe even Valamaki).
Yeah, that's brilliant, gut the blueline in the hopes that these guys can step into a top spot.

Hamilton is a bonifide top pairing defenseman, period, unless you get back so much from the other team that they might as well fold up their tent, you don't trade him, especially when your other top pairing defenseman is on the far side of 30.

I would think that Brodie can be traded, Stone is probably on the move list, but Hamonic and Hamilton aren't going anywhere.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #42
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also Wotherspoon is a pending UFA and shouldn't be considered part of go forward plans at all.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #43
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, that's brilliant, gut the blueline in the hopes that these guys can step into a top spot.

Hamilton is a bonifide top pairing defenseman, period, unless you get back so much from the other team that they might as well fold up their tent, you don't trade him, especially when your other top pairing defenseman is on the far side of 30.

I would think that Brodie can be traded, Stone is probably on the move list, but Hamonic and Hamilton aren't going anywhere.
All's I'm saying is, they've tried building up the d corps to elite standards twice now and bombed. Perhaps the tactics should change. IMO the flames wouldn't fare any worse if they did move two d men off the top six and slotted in Andersson and other. Build up that offense to near top of the league. If you can get the goaltending we did from Smith again or another guy ces in and does it, were talking a whole new ball game here.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #44
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bruins announce the signing of Harvard star forward Ryan Donato. Donato was involved (i.e. got at least a point) in 41% of the goals Harvard scored this season.

They are also burning the first year of his 2 year ELC.

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-18-2018 at 05:18 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #45
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Brodie possibly hurt, they should sign Fox and let him play to see what they have in him.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #46
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Mark Divver @MarkDivver
Donato camp/#NHLBruins met all afternoon, per source. Ryan will continue as student at Harvard. Expected to be in Boston lineup on Monday. Contract runs thru 18-19 season

One of the advantages the Bruins have with Harvard being in their city.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #47
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
With Brodie possibly hurt, they should sign Fox and let him play to see what they have in him.
Why burn a year of his ELC in a lost season??

That would make no sense unless its the difference between getting him signed or him waiting the 2 years and going UFA.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #48
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'd burn a year of Fox's so ****ing fast if he'd agree, just to know he was Flames property. There's a HUGE chance he goes to UFA and that chance goes up majorly each year he goes back. Of course you burn a year if he'll agree.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #49
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'd burn a year of Fox's so ****ing fast if he'd agree, just to know he was Flames property. There's a HUGE chance he goes to UFA and that chance goes up majorly each year he goes back. Of course you burn a year if he'll agree.
Based on what.

Why is he any more likely to go to UFA than anyone else?
Old 03-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #50
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Why burn a year of his ELC in a lost season??

That would make no sense unless its the difference between getting him signed or him waiting the 2 years and going UFA.

To get him signed.

Johnny got the same deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #51
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Based on what.

Why is he any more likely to go to UFA than anyone else?
Because of the Flames depth at D. If he thinks (or is advised) that there is a logjam and he won't land in the Flames top 4 right away then UFA is the only way to go. I'm sure he looks at NJD Butcher and thinks that UFA the route to get to the NHL faster.

I don't think any other prospective NCAA player faces the same kind of logjam at their position with their draft team.

And how do the Flames (assuming they trade a roster body or two to make room) just drop him into the #4 spot ahead of Anderson, Kulak, Kylington, or Vilimaki. What does that say to those guys. Will Vilimaki play and overage year in the W (does he get to go to the A next year?)?

Something's gotta give.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #52
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
To get him signed.

Johnny got the same deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Johnny got the same deal the spring before his senior season.

Fox is only going to be a junior.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #53
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly fox would be the guy to move if we can. He is from the east, likely wants to stay there.

However, if he is as skilled as he is supposed to be then he wouldn’t see kulak or stone as a threat nor should he.

However, given how the flames handle the vast majority of their draft picks (and I know Johnny mony and tkachuk all are counter points) he is going to fail to live up to expectations in this mediocre franchise.

I just don’t see us being able to trick him into signing here when almost any other blue line in the league would use him instantly
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #54
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Because of the Flames depth at D. If he thinks (or is advised) that there is a logjam and he won't land in the Flames top 4 right away then UFA is the only way to go. I'm sure he looks at NJD Butcher and thinks that UFA the route to get to the NHL faster.

I don't think any other prospective NCAA player faces the same kind of logjam at their position with their draft team.

And how do the Flames (assuming they trade a roster body or two to make room) just drop him into the #4 spot ahead of Anderson, Kulak, Kylington, or Vilimaki. What does that say to those guys. Will Vilimaki play and overage year in the W (does he get to go to the A next year?)?

Something's gotta give.

Nobody is just going be "dropped in" to a position on the top 4, and that includes Andersson, Valimaki nor Kylington. What would it "say to those guys"? I think it would say....be better.

Whatever the scenario whoever gets promoted has to earn it...rightfully so.

If Fox is worried about having to be a better player than others, then thats a sign of weakness. Thats how the NHL works. He should accept that challenge entirely. He is good. Really good. If he has any faith in his own abilites, that shouldn't even be a thought in his mind.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:03 PM   #55
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody is just going be "dropped in" to a position on the top 4, and that includes Andersson, Valimaki nor Kylington. What would it "say to those guys"? I think it would say....be better.

Whatever the scenario whoever gets promoted has to earn it...rightfully so.

If Fox is worried about having to be a better player than others, then thats a sign of weakness. Thats how the NHL works. He should accept that challenge entirely. He is good. Really good. If he has any faith in his own abilites, that shouldn't even be a thought in his mind.
But that's just it....he doesn't have to earn it in camp. And why should he accept that particular challenge..he just has to wait it out for UFA status and sign with a team where he (or his agent) thinks he has the best shot at making the NHL ASAP - no one game cup of coffee and down to the A. In his mind he is probably NHL ready today.

UFA is a route only open to Fox at this stage. He'll leverage it. Look at Foo (a bit different as he was undrafted). I think the open RW opportunities in a reasonable amount of time were appealing to him to sign with the Flames.

I think overall depth charts are a big factor in NCAA signings.

I agree with a previous poster - trade him. Fox is a chip to play on draft day - gotta be worth a 1st or 2nd.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:21 PM   #56
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The list of NCAA draft picks that utilize the "Schultz loophole" is significantly smaller that the ones that have signed.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #57
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
But that's just it....he doesn't have to earn it in camp. And why should he accept that particular challenge..he just has to wait it out for UFA status and sign with a team where he (or his agent) thinks he has the best shot at making the NHL ASAP - no one game cup of coffee and down to the A. In his mind he is probably NHL ready today.

UFA is a route only open to Fox at this stage. He'll leverage it. Look at Foo (a bit different as he was undrafted). I think the open RW opportunities in a reasonable amount of time were appealing to him to sign with the Flames.

I think overall depth charts are a big factor in NCAA signings.

I agree with a previous poster - trade him. Fox is a chip to play on draft day - gotta be worth a 1st or 2nd.
So he is going to wait 2 years to start earning money?

That makes it 5 years before he hits the big$$ possibility of his second deal.

And again...if he is so mentally fragile that he doesnt want to earn a job in the NHL, (which there is no indication of anywhere and which almost any team would ask the same of), then you dont want him on the team anyhow.

If you get to this time next year and there is little inclination to sign, then sure, start to explore the options.

If he is someone who another team covets a LOT and they blow you away with an offer, then by all means trade him now. There is just no need to burn a year of his ELC right now though...thats all Im saying.

We did it with Gaudreau because we had to. We did it with Sam and in hindsight, that was likely a big mistake as it was clear that he could have used some AHL seasoning earlier this year.

I dunno....im just not at all worried about him leaving the Flames high and dry. Also if over the course of the summer there are a bunch of changes on defense, then there may be a bit more opening to sign him and have him in camp.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #58
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Because many don't wait - they jump to juniors or sign for the max and get a year of ELC burned - fastest way to the NHL remember. Fox will be one of these guys if he thinks CGY is the best path to the NHL for him.

Also, that list is getting larger. Usually you hear about 1 top guy and the next guy. Now it's the 1 or 2 top guys and the next 4 guys. Five years ago a guy like Foo would have been quietly signed as a UFA no fanfare, no bidding, no tour.

Hayes, Vesy, Butcher, Kerfoot - just the names from the last couple of years that I can remember offhand. The more who go this route, the more who will follow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #59
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So he is going to wait 2 years to start earning money?
The big money comes in the bonuses. As a draft pick he only gets what the standard bonus structure is. Sign with the Flames today - get max NHL base and this round bonus money (if you stay in the NHL, enjoy your AHL paycheck). Wait till UFA and get max bonus money ($2.8 mil) and no AHL time. If he believes in himself and wants to max out UFA is the way to go.

Quote:
And again...if he is so mentally fragile that he doesnt want to earn a job in the NHL, (which there is no indication of anywhere and which almost any team would ask the same of), then you dont want him on the team anyhow.
Yes, it is only through rumor that I have heard about "guaranteed spots" in NCAA UFA negotiations.

Quote:
I dunno....im just not at all worried about him leaving the Flames high and dry. Also if over the course of the summer there are a bunch of changes on defense, then there may be a bit more opening to sign him and have him in camp.
Yes, things will change over the summer, but the draft is where we will be sitting and watching unless we play a chip or two.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #60
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Mark Divver @MarkDivver
Donato camp/#NHLBruins met all afternoon, per source. Ryan will continue as student at Harvard. Expected to be in Boston lineup on Monday. Contract runs thru 18-19 season

One of the advantages the Bruins have with Harvard being in their city.
The Flames better be offering Fox the same contract. They cannot #### around with this kid. Especially after this season, should be priority no.1 right now.

The fact that Hamonic and Stone might make Fox walk is sickening. I'd give up those two for Fox in an instance. Mark my words, Fox will run a no.1 PP unit in the NHL and he will be damn good at it. Flames cannot lose this kid, anyone saying trade him for a first has never watched him play.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-18-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post: