Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #2221
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier has regained feeling in his legs, according to a report by WPXI-Pittsburgh. Shazier's father, Vernon, declined specifics on his son's current condition but did recall the moments after he suffered the spinal injury during a Dec. 4 Monday Night Football game against the Cincinnati Bengals. "He said, 'Daddy, pray for me. I can't feel my legs,'" an emotional Vernon Shazier said in an on-camera interview with WPXI, recounting his son's call from the hospital.
[...]
Vernon Shazier said he won't offer specifics on Ryan's condition "until (he's) ready to share where he's at" but did note that his son is "making progress daily. He's a long way from where he was on that Monday night when he was laying on the field," Vernon Shazier said.
[...]
Vernon Shazier, a pastor who recently began giving sermons again, recalled wanting to switch positions with his son when he first saw the injury. Now, he envisions Ryan one day playing football again. "I Shalieve," he said.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...gs-says-father
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #2222
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Thats^^^ way better news than i was expecting a few weeks ago.

really pleased to hear that.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #2223
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I am no devout Bengals follower but to me this debunks the notion that continuity breeds success. Seems to me the Patriots cycled through coaches and regimes until they landed on BB.
The problem in Cincinnati is Mike Brown. Terrible owner/GM who is content with the status quo and has barely had his head above water for a long time now. Let's not forget his many questionable personnel choices and 'easy forgiveness' for off field player antics and arrests over the years. I'm a long time Bengals fan going back to the Munoz, Krumrie, Brooks, Holman days. The Bengals could be so much better sans Mike Brown at the helm.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:25 AM   #2224
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Are the Patriots power brokers on the verge of imploding on one another?

Certainly seems that way if you believe what is in this very long and in-depth piece of reporting by Seth Wickersham of ESPN.

Again, quite lengthy but well worth it and fascinating stuff with in.

Quote:
On Dec. 3, when the New England Patriots played the Buffalo Bills, Tom Brady walked to the sideline after throwing late and behind receiver Brandin Cooks on third down, ending a first-quarter drive. Brady was angrier and more irritable than usual, as has often been the case this season in the eyes of some Patriots players and staff. As he unsnapped his chinstrap, Brady passed offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on the sideline.

"He was wide open," McDaniels said to Brady, referring to Cooks.

Brady kept walking, and glaring at McDaniels, so the coach repeated: "We had him open."

Brady snapped, pivoting to McDaniels and yelling at him, "I got it!" Everyone within earshot, including head coach Bill Belichick, turned to watch as Brady screamed. He removed his helmet, and as a Patriots staffer held him back -- and with McDaniels' father and legendary high school coach in Ohio, Thom, in the stands behind the bench -- capped off the exchange by yelling, "F--- you!"

After all, many in the Patriots' building knew that Brady's explosion wasn't really about McDaniels. It wasn't about Cooks. And it wasn't about the Bills game. It was about the culmination of months of significant behind-the-scenes frustrations. For almost two decades, Belichick has managed to subvert the egos of his best player, his boss and himself for the good of the team, yielding historic results. This year, though, the dynamics have been different.
Just the tip of the problems apparently.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...power-struggle
Old 01-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #2225
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Saints forums and Twitter have been abuzz about this since last night (there were teasers about it coming beforehand). ESPN certainly is desperate for ratings aren't they? I dislike the Pats as much as the next guy the past few years, but I'm finding this one very tough to believe.

I don't know much about the author, but from the Saints forum and Twitter, he seems to carry as much cred as Ian Rapoport. That's a bad thing.

I guess we'll see though, it certainly would be a lot more entertaining for your average football fan if true..

Last edited by Sainters7; 01-05-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #2226
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
The Saints forums and Twitter have been abuzz about this since last night (there were teasers about it coming beforehand). ESPN certainly is desperate for ratings aren't they? I dislike the Pats as much as the next guy the past few years, but I'm finding this one very tough to believe.

I don't know much about the author, but from the Saints forum and Twitter, he seems to carry as much cred as Ian Rapoport. That's a bad thing.
Who knows how much is true and how much isnt, but this is only an in depth look at what has been bubbling just below the surface all season.

IIRC it was November when there was a report from somewhere other than ESPN that stated the Pats/Belichick were contemplating moving Brady after this season....shortly after that Garoppolo was dealt and the feeling it was Kraft protecting Brady by doing so.

It really is insane what they dealt him for and points to someone meddling somewhere. BB would never have signed off on that return based on his trading histiry, unless his hand was forced.

I can see this coming to a head in NE. BB knows that Brady's tenure is closing, and as such if he wants to keep coaching and winning, he needs to transition soon. TB likely has no desire to be part of that, and that's entirely understandable.

One thing is for sure, TB hasn't looked like himself at times this year although he has been tremendous at others.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #2227
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's so crazy if true. I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention. Was just going off the general vibe from what I've read on the internets I guess and most were scoffing at it, hence my disbelief. That and I just find ESPN greasy these days, with their loud "hot takes". Will be interesting to see how it plays out

Last edited by Sainters7; 01-05-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #2228
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the story probably has some merit but is probably overblown. That Pats had to trade Garoppolo as he was going to free agency and as long as Brady is amongst the best in the league there's no doubt he was going to be the guy for as long as he can maintain his level of play. I get that Garoppolo is a hot story right now but we have seen so many QB's get hot only for the league to figure them out that there's no guarantee the Patriots are nearly as good with him over Brady. For all the hoopla we are talking about a guy that in 6 games with the 49ers threw for 7 TD's and 5 INT's and those numbers aren't normally going to get it done for a team with Super Bowl aspirations. A few years back Blake Bortles was supposed to be the next big thing remember. I just don't see why so many people are criticizing the Pats for trading the guy as did anyone really think they were going to walk away from Brady in the offseason?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #2229
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Here's that story from earlier this season on the whole "who we gonna trade" angle.

Again who knows what any of this means but this stuff really has been an undercurrent all year.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-englan...son--109787042
Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #2230
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

This is so cool...

Quote:
Our friends at Duff’s are hitting the road to Cincinnati tonight with:
1440 wings
90 lbs of celery
30 lbs of carrots
6 gallons of blue cheese
9 gallons of Duff’s wing sauce
And a TON of thank you’s from Buffalo! #GoBills

See you soon, @Bengals!

7:14 PM - Jan 4, 2018 · Duff's Famous Wings
Quote:
The Bills' gesture comes after thousands of fans donated to Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton's charitable foundation this week in appreciation for his late 49-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Boyd to beat the Ravens. Over $315,000 had been raised as of Thursday night, Dalton announced on Twitter.

Fans also flocked to contribute to Boyd's cause, donating more than $50,000 to the Western Pennsylvania Youth Athletic Association.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #2231
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you get Egos like TB, BB and the owner together Im sure things arent always rosy.

The Pats refuted that article today, and I hope for my teams sake that its true.

"For the past 18 years, the three of us have enjoyed a very good and productive relationship," the statement read. "In recent days, there have been multiple media reports that have speculated theories that are unsubstantiated, highly exaggerated or flat out inaccurate. The three of us share a common goal. We look forward to the enormous challenge of competing in the postseason and the opportunity to work together in the future, just as we have for the past 18 years. It is unfortunate to that there is even a need to respond to these fallacies. As our actions have shown, we stand united."en a need to respond to these fallacies. As our actions have shown, we stand united."
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #2232
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Denial already issued...lol

Quote:
"For the past 18 years, the three of us have enjoyed a very good and productive working relationship. In recent days, there have been multiple media reports that have speculated theories that are unsubstantiated, highly exaggerated or flat out inaccurate.

The three of us share a common goal. We look forward to the enormous challenge of competing in the postseason and the opportunity to work together in the future, just as we have for the past 18 years. It is unfortunate that there is even a need for us to respond to these fallacies. As our actions have shown, we stand united."
Old 01-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #2233
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tom Brady the person is a pretty big deplorable. Too bad. I really liked him as a QB.

I bet his kids aren't vaccinated either.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #2234
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over his last six seasons as a NFL coach he was 45-51 with 0-2 playoff record. Lol

@AdamSchefter:
Raiders are giving new head coach Jon Gruden a 10-year contract, the longest coaching deal in NFL history, sources tell ESPN. The deal is likely to be worth about $100 million.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #2235
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Gruden contract has to be the worst coaching contract of all-time. Gary Kubiak's career record is similar for Christ sakes. Shockingly bad.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #2236
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also hope this doesn't ruin coaching contracts like Flacco ruined QB contracts.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #2237
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the ESPN Pats story. More ammo for Bill to tape to the locker room wall. Us vs Them.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #2238
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I also hope this doesn't ruin coaching contracts like Flacco ruined QB contracts.
I don't think so. There's no salary cap with head coaches so owners have always been able to pay them as much as they want. I'm sure future coaches may use that contract in negotiations but it's not like Babcock's contract with the Leafs has driven up NHL coaching salaries. Coaches will get what owners think they are worth and how much they are willing to pay a coach.

As a Raiders fan I think the money and term is stupid but it has no effect on the team's salary cap so if the owner wants to throw around money like that to get his guy so be it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #2239
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if this contract makes Cowher get back into the game. He's gotta be worth at least the same contract.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #2240
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oakland's gonna Oakland.

What an absurd deal. He's Bill Belichick? They better get at least 3 super bowls to justify the deal.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post: