Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #141
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
It wouldn't shock me if there was some political pressure on them to drop rates now - hopefully increase some consumer spending, make the economy look a bit better in time for the election...

Next rate announcement comes soon before the election, and it would probably look bad on the government if the rate were to be dropped then instead of now... people going to the polls would definitely remember an announcement that rate is dropped b/c of recession a few weeks before election, vs. doing it now, months before said election.
I think it's a too big, out too "macro" of a view. This rate drop is good for highly leveraged companies, bad for actual people. More consumer debt is bad. Industrial debt is good
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #142
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
No, it's time for people to get into more debt. Duh!
Isn't that how a lot of people make money though? Borrow when rates are low, then pay it back when rates are high?

A lot of wealthy people get that way by putting themselves in debt at some point.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #143
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
So now the house-flipping will heat up even more in Vancouver and Toronto, and middle-class owners will take on even more debt. I don't see the BoC's line of reasoning on this cut.
Well the house angle is just one consideration. The other factors include things like GDP (which shows us as in a recession or teetering on the brink). The other thing this does as alluded to in one of the three threads on the topic now, is reduce the currency. By devaluing this, exporters ramp up production and it increases demand for them. This includes oil and gas. For a commodity like oil this has an additional benefit where they sell in USD and pay expenses in CAD.

So yeah, the housing angle is potentially dangerous, but the other benefits are still part of the decision.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #144
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well the house angle is just one consideration. The other factors include things like GDP (which shows us as in a recession or teetering on the brink). The other thing this does as alluded to in one of the three threads on the topic now, is reduce the currency. By devaluing this, exporters ramp up production and it increases demand for them. This includes oil and gas. For a commodity like oil this has an additional benefit where they sell in USD and pay expenses in CAD.

So yeah, the housing angle is potentially dangerous, but the other benefits are still part of the decision.
The housing angle is really what we should be concerned about. Impact on exports and especially commodities will be negligible given the state of the global marketplace (slumping US and Chinese economies). The real estate market will blow up in our faces.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #145
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Isn't that how a lot of people make money though? Borrow when rates are low, then pay it back when rates are high?

A lot of wealthy people get that way by putting themselves in debt at some point.
Problem is most of the "average" Canadians don't borrow to invest, they borrow to buy that new Audi, or get granite in their house, or get that new 4K TV....

This chart is terrifying:

EDIT:

For comparison, check out what the USA looked like pre and post-GFC:

Last edited by I_H8_Crawford; 07-15-2015 at 02:42 PM.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #146
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The housing angle is really what we should be concerned about. Impact on exports and especially commodities will be negligible given the state of the global marketplace (slumping US and Chinese economies). The real estate market will blow up in our faces.
Are you referring to the slumping US economy that is a hair above full employment, at all time highs on the stock market and looking at raising their interest rates this year?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #147
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you referring to the slumping US economy that is a hair above full employment, at all time highs on the stock market and looking at raising their interest rates this year?
Where have you seen numbers regarding full employment? Everything I have read, and heard is that the employment numbers are artificially inflated given how many people have stopped looking for work. Some analysts have caused it a jobless recovery.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #148
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where have you seen numbers regarding full employment? Everything I have read, and heard is that the employment numbers are artificially inflated given how many people have stopped looking for work. Some analysts have caused it a jobless recovery.
Well unemployment is at say 5.5% or something like that? Full employment is pretty much anything at 5% or less, so that's where I come up with that.

The arguments about labour force participation strike me as more political than anything else. The opposition always claims that the numbers are inflated and the government always has to explain why its a lagging indicator and everything like that. The point is that unemployment is a reasonable idea of how many people are working. Its not perfect, but not entirely useless.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #149
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

So basically TD wanted to get out ahead of not cutting this time, but by cutting 10 bps this time it makes prime a "round" quarter point number again. Assuming all banks follow suit, it looks like they've just expanded their margins by 0.25% on a permanent basis in the last 6 months, by passing on only 0.25% of a 0.5% rate cut.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #150
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What 'Invisible' Money adds to Vancouver Home Prices
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #151
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
So basically TD wanted to get out ahead of not cutting this time, but by cutting 10 bps this time it makes prime a "round" quarter point number again. Assuming all banks follow suit, it looks like they've just expanded their margins by 0.25% on a permanent basis in the last 6 months, by passing on only 0.25% of a 0.5% rate cut.
Win-win for me Mortgage gets cheaper and TD stock should fare a bit better...
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #152
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I think it's a too big, out too "macro" of a view. This rate drop is good for highly leveraged companies, bad for actual people. More consumer debt is bad. Industrial debt is good
I don't think that you can just make this claim. While rates dropping is good for highly leveraged companies, they can get into just as much trouble with managing their balance sheets as highly leveraged consumers do, if and when the business cycle changes.

I think you could say that smart, manageable debt has the potential to be good for both consumer and business, but generally speaking too much debt for either is bad.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #153
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I don't think that you can just make this claim. While rates dropping is good for highly leveraged companies, they can get into just as much trouble with managing their balance sheets as highly leveraged consumers do, if and when the business cycle changes.

I think you could say that smart, manageable debt has the potential to be good for both consumer and business, but generally speaking too much debt for either is bad.
Generally, incremental consumer debt is used by most consumers who aren't dedicated up ROI. Commercial interests are almost solely focused on investing and getting returns that a more expensive house, new car or new TV just aren't.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #154
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Generally, incremental consumer debt is used by most consumers who aren't dedicated up ROI. Commercial interests are almost solely focused on investing and getting returns that a more expensive house, new car or new TV just aren't.
My point is that companies who are over-leveraged can get into a lot of trouble as well. We see it over and over in the energy business. So you can't really just say that "corporate debt is good". But I hear you.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #155
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
FWIW, banks made their decision to cut by 0.10% some time ago in anticipation of this rate cut. TD was just the first to announce it. Other banks/lenders will follow suit very quickly.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #156
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone else benefit from prime going up? I have a stock that pays dividends based on a multiple of prime (linked to TD I think) so when prime goes up so does the dividend.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #157
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Does anyone else benefit from prime going up? I have a stock that pays dividends based on a multiple of prime (linked to TD I think) so when prime goes up so does the dividend.
Are you sure it's a stock you hold or some other kind of investment? Most dividend policies for companies are based on very different ways of determining them and I can't think of anyone who sets dividend policy based on a multiple of prime.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #158
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Are you sure it's a stock you hold or some other kind of investment? Most dividend policies for companies are based on very different ways of determining them and I can't think of anyone who sets dividend policy based on a multiple of prime.
It is preferred stock in a private company.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #159
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If i was with td why wouldn't i switch? Sounds like their customers are getting the short end of the stick. For me this would be a reason to get in touch with a mortgage broker. Mortgage made easy.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #160
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
If i was with td why wouldn't i switch? Sounds like their customers are getting the short end of the stick. For me this would be a reason to get in touch with a mortgage broker. Mortgage made easy.
TD has followed suit with all the other lenders with matching the 0.15% drop... Prime is now 2.70%.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or email forums@timlacroix.com

Click here to View current Mortgage Rates

Mortgage Made Easy is offline   Reply With Quote