Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Looking For A New Laptop

Hey all,

I’ve been working with an HP all-in-one for the past few years, but am getting to the point where I need a new computer and leaning towards a laptop just for convenience sake.

I basically need it for video editing and basic computer functions. I want to avoid the Mac side of things as I hate the incompatibility train they’re on and am quite used to Windows by now. I feel like I can get a decent computer for a fraction of the MAC cost.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2018, 02:03 AM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd suggest staying away from commercial grade laptops and go with business grade laptops. Typing on these things don't suck because business grade laptops are designed to be used on a regular basis and they're designed for business so they last longer.

Lenovo - T/X/P series
HP - Elitebook, Probook
Dell - XPS

If you have a professional designation, see if you can get a discount at the above manufacturer websites. Then, if you want to see if you can knock the numbers down further, consider eBates and see if you can get cash back of some sort by purchasing through the manufacturer websites.

Personally, I like Lenovo best of the above choices, but Dell and HP aren't terrible for business grade. The above is what I am contemplating doing when my current laptop kicks the bucket (manufacturer website, corporate/designation discount + eBates).
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What about this guy:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/hu...k86d4j006/4x0p

It's been very highly rated. A month ago the price was $1799 for the high end model but Microsoft bumped the price up by $200 for some reason.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
What about this guy:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/hu...k86d4j006/4x0p

It's been very highly rated. A month ago the price was $1799 for the high end model but Microsoft bumped the price up by $200 for some reason.
Sexy laptop, but that seems like overkill IMO...

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you buy the business grade laptop, swapping the HDD to SSD yourself is a good way to proceed. I believe Memex provides that service for a fee if you buy from them if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

MS has the new Surface 5 on sale atm.

The i5 with 128Gig HD and 8 Gig of RAM was $1099 I think?
Next model up is the 256 Gig drive which was on sale for $400 off the regular price.

Not a laptop, not a tablet...it's something in between? I've really liked having mine.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Surface looks interesting.

I’m getting confused with the proper specs necessary. Everything I’ve read says at least 8gb of RAM which is easy enough to come across, but deciphering the difference in processors and graphics cards is tough. From what I can tell I need at least 2 GHz processor but does it need to be at lease dual core? I’ve tried figuring out the numbers behind graphics cards and what they all mean, but all anything says is “you need X graphics card” not “you need a graphics card with x capabilities”.

Hard Drive size isn’t a huge deal as I have externals.