Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #101
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listened to the game working today. It was tough because all the radio guys could say was "we've seen this movie before" . I have no idea what has caused this team to just up and roll over like this. Even when the games mattered most. They just up and flatlined.

Can't believe we'rewatching groundhog day live every game. same game, every game.

Even if you say oh.......wanted to give the coach another year I really don't think you can now. Under any circumstances. Mostly because I believe the rest of the league has absolutely solved the system and picked it apart this year.

They're letting them take all those shots and I think I know why now. The system is too easy to deny secondary chances. Shoot 50 shots a game. You're not getting any rebounds. All too easy for the opposition.

The players have quit. Unintentionally most likely but the drive is gone from them.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #102
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
My god Kane looks awesome.
I mean, the FLames HAVE to sign him right? If only to keep him away from their net. If he signs with SJ or any other west team we're doomed. Guys become the new Ribiero.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #103
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, if there's any evidence I needed to know how absolutely important Matthew Tkachuk is to this team. It's this run of absolutely uninspired hockey that proved it. Holy noodles.

Last edited by dammage79; 03-24-2018 at 07:38 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #104
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Stewart - depth waiver claim, free asset, nobody with a brain had any grand expectations of him

Shore - Hard to judge as he hasn't played very often. Personally felt he was an upgrade on the bottom 6 that should have been utilized more

Lack - didn't have a lot of options for the backup position, FA wise. Unless he was ready to trust one of the youngsters in the system, which in retrospect it looks like Rittich was ready for an opportunity.

Hamonic - after adapting has lived up to his billing. Talent assessment is fine, paying a first and two seconds while not lottery protecting the former was an oversight.

Smith - arguably the MVP of the team up until the All Star break. Should have been better in the stretch, but was injured.

Lazar - completely under utilized by the coaching staff. Was worth the risk at the time, and has shown signs he plays very consistently when he's given a proper role.

Stone - not sure why he's included, he's played well. Elevated Brodie's game last season, well above average option for the third pairing.

Shinkaruk - meh. Didn't cost the team anything they couldn't afford to give up.

Elliott - again, the best at the price the Flames were able to offer. We all knew what his tendencies were, and we all rode that rollercoaster during the season right into the nosedive in the playoffs.

Dougie Hamilton - amazing trade. Secured a top 2 right handed defenseman for years to come.

Bollig - agreed, didn't get it then and don't get it now.

I don't think Treliving has any problem with talent assessment, I think he just misjudged the real needs of the roster and the culture of the locker room.

My biggest issue is that the "process" led to a decision that included Glen Gulutzan and Dave Cameron. Yikes and double yikes.
I admire your optimism and I don't really have any issue with your assessment of those players but you're trying to sell me the success of BT on the acquisition of a bunch of bottom 6 forwards, depth d-men, a 35 year old goalie who was good for half a season while giving away loads of picks when HIS team has been hovering around 15th-27th in the league standings for 4 seasons.

I just personally need more than that to have any faith that the guy making the calls.

Don't you want to see more success than a 15th place overall finish?

SJ added Kane at the deadline and they have been on a huge run since, BT didn't make that deal? Is that not a strike against Brad?

Winnipeg added Stastny when this team needs a depth centre man? Another miss?

I just see other teams making tons of fairly significant astute adds to their teams supplementing areas of weakness and I see BT not really doing much other than cycling through a bunch of goalies and tinkering with the defence.

Maybe I am really off on this one.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #105
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
You could get more for Hamilton right now than you gave up to get him, only move that that is the case. That makes Hamilton a good move in my mind. Even Brouwer you would have to eat salary to get rid of him, I suspect a 2.5 million Brouwer plus 2020 Flames 2nd rounder could get you a 6th rounder.

It is odd that Brad has such little faith in his amateur scouting, it is literally the only part of his front office that is any good.
Big leap but ok
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #106
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I mean, the FLames HAVE to sign him right? If only to keep him away from their net. If he signs with SJ or any other west team we're doomed. Guys become the new Ribiero.
Pretty sure he will just resign with SJ
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #107
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think even the Oilers will surpass the Flames in a few games. Someone mentioned the Avs weren't even going to make the playoffs just back less than 10 games or so ago. So, the Flames gonna run the table the other way to give the Islanders a crack at Tkachuk? This team right now with the way the scoring is, looks worse than the rebuild years. It's almost back to square one with no offensive output.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #108
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
If the Flames did leave, it would automatically make Calgary the hottest relocation destination. Would guarantee a new ownership group.
There is no way in hell Bettman would let any team relocate to Calgary if the flames left. I like Bettman but that guy can hold a grudge and is extremely stubborn.

The city would have to build a new arena for free and gift it to the NHL to make Bettman even think of allowing a new team in Calgary.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #109
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I think even the Oilers will surpass the Flames in a few games. Someone mentioned the Avs weren't even going to make the playoffs just back less than 10 games or so ago. So, the Flames gonna run the table the other way to give the Islanders a crack at Tkachuk? This team right now with the way the scoring is, looks worse than the rebuild years. It's almost back to square one with no offensive output.
Oilers will almost certainly finish with more wins than the flames.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #110
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
There is no way in hell Bettman would let any team relocate to Calgary if the flames left. I like Bettman but that guy can hold a grudge and is extremely stubborn.

The city would have to build a new arena for free and gift it to the NHL to make Bettman even think of allowing a new team in Calgary.
I agree he wouldn't allow a relocation...

... but he'd happily snap up another $650mil expansion fee.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #111
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Big leap but ok
How many other teams have traded a 1st, 3 2nds, 2 3rds and a 5th in a 16 month period? It is almost unheard of, definitely in the cap Era. Do you think Brad thought he had a Stanley Cup contender?

Last edited by Aarongavey; 03-24-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 PM   #112
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
If the Flames did leave, it would automatically make Calgary the hottest relocation destination. Would guarantee a new ownership group.
Hahahahaha, not a chance. Who the hell is going to relocate to Calgary, with the worst building in the league? If the Flames and the current ownership can't make it work, Calgary becomes a dead city for the next two decades. Unless someone is willing to step up and construct a new building, and then pay for an expansion team, Calgary will be without professional hockey. What should also be concerning is the breakup of CSEC and how that would affect the other interests. A couple of those teams might just fold and those entertainment options also disappear. Careful what you wish for.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #113
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How many other teams have traded a 1st, 3 2nds, 2 3rds and a 5th in a 16 month period? It is almost unheard of, definitely in the cap Era. Do you think Brad thought he had a Stanley Cup contender?
I think he was trying to open up the window to compete
I don’t think it had anything about the degree of trust in his scouts
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 PM   #114
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was thinking about this today. Forget the fact that Flames haven’t been a contender. How many teams have traded away so many picks in a short period of time? I am no historian but I can’t imagine it has happened often.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 PM   #115
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Oilers will almost certainly finish with more wins than the flames.
Oilers are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games and are currently leading the Kings 2-1 in the 1st period of tonight's game. Since they have nothing to play for, they're feeling no pressure and are just having fun playing spoiler.

The Flames on the other hand couldn't score in a brothel, and seem like their defensive game and goaltending has gone to crap lately. At this point there's no doubt in my mind that the Oilers will likely surpass us in the standings before the season is done. Missing the playoffs is bad enough. Finishing below the Oilers? That's complete rock bottom, my friends.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #116
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
he's going to SJ/VG/VAN/ probably
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #117
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When they said they were emphasizing character in their picks and acquisitions, well... I think they need to re-evaluate what sort of character they're gunning for.

We need more of the Matthew Tkachuk, Mark Giordano sort and less of the...well everyone else this year. Yeah Johnny you pile up the points but you chicken out when it matters and get frustrated way too easily. Remember that last second goal in the POs against the ducks after the Bennett no goal call as a wee rookie? Where's that kind of spark?

These guys that abandon efforts and defensive responsibilities at the first sign of adversity, as well as get caught up admiring their post shots, and casually float off and on for line changes with no hustle either gotta look themselves long and hard in the mirror before next season and come in with a new mindset or gtfo.

I'm tired of this team getting trampled and fizzling out every spring to the same teams when the games matter most! And when the pressure is off they feel sorry for themselves and look less disciplined. Just look at the coyotes who've had nothing to play for for months now.

Smh. Switch out the coaches sure, but the players have got to start turning around this house of cards in a breeze mentality for themselves before next season cause we do not want that spilling over. That shirt ain't gonna fly in 18/19.

And ffs be prepared and play some good hockey in October for once! It could save so much pain.

Learning to play at home would be sweet too.

/rant

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-24-2018 at 09:01 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:59 PM   #118
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think he was trying to open up the window to compete
I don’t think it had anything about the degree of trust in his scouts
Well he made the wrong call then. I guess he looked at a team that went on a 10 game winning streak and was pretty much a. 500 hockey club other than that and saw a window to compete.

And he looked at a team that had 2 20 goal scorers the year before and thought "I need a defensive defenceman in addition to Stone to put me over the top". That is a bad call by any objective standard. Surely he could have actually got what his team needed, a 25-30 goal a year winger instead of a stay-at-home dman.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #119
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Nailed it. You look at Boston and they are playing the same system Hartley had, relentless forechecking, speed and head-manning the puck.
I think Heep should coach for the rest of the season.
That is ridiculously, completely untrue.
There is a reason Hartley is not coaching in the NHL. And the same reason Gulutzan won't be soon.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #120
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously this good riddance let the Flames move to Houston and become their problem crap has to stop already.

Thread after thread, actually the entire CP forum,has become poisoned by garbage posts respecting possible relocation.

Sure its possible. If it happens it will be a dark day in this history of this city.

But unless and until, true fans of the Calgary Flames are tired of having to read this constant string of nonsense.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 03-24-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post: