Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #61
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I just took a look at the Fair Trading Act. MBates is correct, and I'm surprised at how broadly encompassing it is. I thought it only applied to things like negative option contracts, some credit transactions, door-to-door sales, and the like, but some parts of it apply to every consumer transaction, and a bevy of "unfair practices" are found at section 6.

Last edited by Kjesse; 10-23-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #62
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Well that ended up being much ado about nothing. First call this morning was to my insurance provider. Sure enough it's covered under my policy. Sent in the receipt and I will apparently have the money in my account by the end of the week.

Thank you for all of the advice, even the "turn it up to 11" advice. I probably would not have escalated past contacting AMA and the tow company directly. I am well aware that I had a momentary lapse in judgment and made a dumb decision off some poor advice. I mostly just wanted some sort of improvement on the situation to feel a little less like an idiot.

One odd thing though... Another reason he mentioned going through insurance was so it doesn't use up one of your services from AMA (you get a limited amount per year). I just received an auto email from AMA asking for feedback on the roadside assistance I received. I am curious if they submitted an invoice to AMA as well and they are double-dipping. I am also curious if I have lost one of my services anyways. My AMA membership page only has history of services up to Aug 13.
I am very, very glad this worked out for you. You did nothing wrong and as you said, would like to have a do over for the on the spot decision.

If anyone wonders, or complains why insurance premiums are so high, well here you go. Driver paid for a service that would cover the tow. Instead, insurance company will pay an absolutely outlandish $1300 to towing company.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #63
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ so rd_aaron bent us all over a little bit today......
Old 10-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #64
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well that ended up being much ado about nothing. First call this morning was to my insurance provider. Sure enough it's covered under my policy. Sent in the receipt and I will apparently have the money in my account by the end of the week.

Thank you for all of the advice, even the "turn it up to 11" advice. I probably would not have escalated past contacting AMA and the tow company directly. I am well aware that I had a momentary lapse in judgment and made a dumb decision off some poor advice. I mostly just wanted some sort of improvement on the situation to feel a little less like an idiot.

One odd thing though... Another reason he mentioned going through insurance was so it doesn't use up one of your services from AMA (you get a limited amount per year). I just received an auto email from AMA asking for feedback on the roadside assistance I received. I am curious if they submitted an invoice to AMA as well and they are double-dipping. I am also curious if I have lost one of my services anyways. My AMA membership page only has history of services up to Aug 13.
I hope you call AMA back and let them know exactly what has happened. They will be keenly interested in knowing that one of their contracted drivers is pushing people towards insurance instead of AMA.

Did your insurer also confirm that using the tow wouldn't cost your
'accident-forgiveness' (if your policy includes such a thing?) I'd be worried that charging $1300 to your insurer might cause your rates to go up.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #65
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ so rd_aaron bent us all over a little bit today......
I'm not saying rd_aaron did.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #66
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ I think the insurance company would be more interested in this as they're getting dinged for something that AMA would have paid for. AMA would probably be pretty happy that they didn't have to cover the tow charge.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #67
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
^^ I think the insurance company would be more interested in this as they're getting dinged for something that AMA would have paid for. AMA would probably be pretty happy that they didn't have to cover the tow charge.
Seriously doubt the insurance company cares at all, it’s just another claim. OP had the choice on how to pay for the tow and might wind up paying more in the long run.

Just like a door ding fixed under insurance, well you could have paid for it some other way. Or if you chose to settle an accident through insurance, you could have been settled without the claim.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #68
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They will happily take the deductible and do the work, hoping something else happens to the OP so they can raise his rates.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #69
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just wondering for future deer hitty badness, since you have to put this through insurance anyway, would the best course of action to be to call the insurance company, and let them deal with the entire process, start to finish?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #70
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Once you've initiated a claim, I think most insurance companies consider the cost of a tow part of the loss - at this point, the company is interested in getting the asset to one of its adjusters to assess whether it is in their best interest to fix the vehicle or write it off - and they will cover the fee to ensure that happens. They have an incentive to ensure the vehicle gets towed to where it can be assessed. If the owner of the vehicle can get the vehicle to the adjuster's lot without an insured tow - than fine. But otherwise - its covered so they can assess the vehicle on their own terms.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #71
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I know when I pay yearly for a towing service my first instinct is to not use it and pay the tow truck out of pocket.

I can't really distinguish how you were convinced this was a good idea.
Trauma/adrenaline/anxiety of a situation can do a lot of things to people. That's why I find it egregious that a company contracted to provide a service for AMA would take advantage of a crappy situation and try to hustle a customer into a potentially worse situation with a huge bill for their advantage.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #72
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I remember my first accident when I was teenager. I was pulling out of a steep business parking lot. A service van in front of me didn't see me behind him and decided to back up to I guess turn out the other direction.

He had metal beems sticking out the back open door of his van which just destroyed my car. I was scared and anxious and felt really rattled. The ****er took advantage because I was a kid and in a really calming, sweet talking voice told me we should just pay our damages as I'd end up paying more in raised premiums anyways and then explained he had to rush so I needed to decide.

I was beyond confused and anxious at that point and kind of agreed, but still sounded unsure....He was out of that parking lot ten ****ing seconds later.

I still remember the Homer Simpson "urge to kill rising" look forming on my dad's face as I explained the accident then that he told me it was better to not use insurance and not pay me anything or exchange info.

He took me straight to the police and filed a hit and run.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #73
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep it is the insurance company getting ripped off for a $1300 tow. I am sure AMA's contracted rate is a fraction of that.

But like all insurance related ripoffs, the ultimate cost is borne by the consumer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #74
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I hope you call AMA back and let them know exactly what has happened. They will be keenly interested in knowing that one of their contracted drivers is pushing people towards insurance instead of AMA.

Did your insurer also confirm that using the tow wouldn't cost your
'accident-forgiveness' (if your policy includes such a thing?) I'd be worried that charging $1300 to your insurer might cause your rates to go up.
Hitting a deer is a comprehensive claim and not a collision claim. Not likely to be an increase in premiums.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #75
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Glad it all worked out for you, but I am unsatisfied with this result! The tow truck driver needs to be punished for *defrauding* you. I want him to be reprimanded and his company to have to forfeit the $1300. I demand internet justice.

Seriously, at least call AMA to let them know what happened because they and their customers are getting screwed by this guy (and potentially others).
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #76
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad it all worked out.

Coincidentally, I had to get a tow from out of town the same weekend as the OP also. Although it was quite a bit less ($250), it had me thinking of AMA. Thinking back, I'm not sure how many times I'd have actually needed their assistance, but my vehicles are getting on now in age and I don't plan on any new ones soon. Peace of mind might be worth the price of membership.

Slightly off topic, but I'm curious how many people are AMA members here, and what value they're finding? How much of a discount are you getting on insurance? How about other perks?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #77
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next time you need a tow, call AMA and buy an account at that point. Then tell them you need a tow, you can use it right away. Cheaper than most regular priced tows.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #78
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

If you need a long distance tow, you cannot buy a plus membership and use it right away.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #79
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? I had heard you could do that. How long do you have to wait? Are we talking a pint in the pub?
Old 11-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #80
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

If you purchase a membership on the spot, regardless of the level of the membership you choose, you get Basic coverage (towing up to 5 km, or to the nearest garage) for that Roadside Assistance call. If you want your vehicle towed beyond that distance, a per-kilometer rate will be charged.

I couldn't find anything that specified, but when I looked into this option a few years ago I seem to recall it being 2-3 days. I had broken down just this side of Bossano; so a solid 100 km tow.

I ended up finding a driver willing to do it for cash; no receipt.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: