Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #501
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
I expect the US to be better and qualify in 2022, of course there's an overreaction the day after they miss out by most of the media down there

The gap is just too big between them and Mexico and the rest of CONCACAF for them to mess up like this consistently

But they have a few young players in Europe who are getting playing time at a decent level, and then you supplement those few players with an MLS based squad if needed

The problem they had this time, outside of some insane bad luck, was too much reliance on pulisic. Who isn't good enough yet

Every time he does anything the us media and fans go nuts, compare him to English or French or German or Spanish etc players of the same skill level and they are with the u21s still.

ESPN had a story in the summer on how he should avoid going to Liverpool or arsenal and wait for Madrid or Barcelona...
Concacaf has been falling behind for quite some time now, Mexico is not good and they won't be going very far in the World Cup, theres a major gap between Mexico and the South American and European teams. This is the worst Concacaf as looked in a very long time in my opinion.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #502
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's not just at senior level. Oceania gets 0.5 of a spot in the World Cup but it gets TWO spots in U20 and U17. Vanuatu and Papua New Guinea qualified this year. NZ gets to automatically go to these events every two years while Canada maybe lucky to get there once a decade. Over time all this international experience makes them better.
Yeah I was gonna mention that as well. They qualify uncontested for every youth, women's and olympic tournament. That development experience is huge for the program.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #503
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Concacaf has been falling behind for quite some time now, Mexico is not good and they won't be going very far in the World Cup, theres a major gap between Mexico and the South American and European teams. This is the worst Concacaf as looked in a very long time in my opinion.
Canada needs to take advantage in 2022

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #504
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
I expect the US to be better and qualify in 2022, of course there's an overreaction the day after they miss out by most of the media down there

The gap is just too big between them and Mexico and the rest of CONCACAF for them to mess up like this consistently

But they have a few young players in Europe who are getting playing time at a decent level, and then you supplement those few players with an MLS based squad if needed

The problem they had this time, outside of some insane bad luck, was too much reliance on pulisic. Who isn't good enough yet

Every time he does anything the us media and fans go nuts, compare him to English or French or German or Spanish etc players of the same skill level and they are with the u21s still.

ESPN had a story in the summer on how he should avoid going to Liverpool or arsenal and wait for Madrid or Barcelona...
He's a very very good player for his age but the fact 60 minutes did a story on him shows how they put so much pressure on some of their young players. He's good but he's not world class ballon D'or level good. I'd say guys like Mbappe, Dembele, Gabriel Jesus, Rashford, are much better. If the US ever wants to be competitive they need to have a Pulisic in every position.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #505
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Canada needs to take advantage in 2022
Seriously, let's hope Davies can take the next step. They have been using him oddly in Vancouver this season.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #506
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its not even that the Germans arent firing on all cylinders yet its that they dont even know what their starting XI looks like yet.

Its not like they just rounded up all the usual suspects for each game, its crazy how many different players were selected and given a shot.

They really are interesting to watch, the fact that the Germans approached WC Qualifiers as an inconvenient formality is one thing, but that they waltzed through it without even breaking a sweat while breaking records at the same time is another.
Germany is the best team in the world but I always look at European qualifying with a grain of salt. Their group is putrid. I do think they could miss not having Scwiensteiger and Lahm as going into a World Cup with an inexperienced World Cup roster could pose a challenge. Kroos has been great and Goretzka could make a big name for himself next summer. I for one am praying for Brazil-Germany final for the redemption, but fully understand how great a football machine the Germans are. Can't wait
Old 10-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #507
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Germany is the best team in the world but I always look at European qualifying with a grain of salt. Their group is putrid. I do think they could miss not having Scwiensteiger and Lahm as going into a World Cup with an inexperienced World Cup roster could pose a challenge. Kroos has been great and Goretzka could make a big name for himself next summer. I for one am praying for Brazil-Germany final for the redemption, but fully understand how great a football machine the Germans are. Can't wait
You dont have to twist my arm too hard to make me say that the Germans are the best team in the world, the only thing they dont have is a 'Wildcard.'

And in International play you need one. Its the most important.

Look what can be done with a bunch of scrubs and one 'Unplayable' Player.

The Germans are the best in the world, but sometimes you just need that one player that can pull off that one piece of magic, and thats the one thing that I just dont think the Germans have.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #508
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You dont have to twist my arm too hard to make me say that the Germans are the best team in the world, the only thing they dont have is a 'Wildcard.'

And in International play you need one. Its the most important.

Look what can be done with a bunch of scrubs and one 'Unplayable' Player.

The Germans are the best in the world, but sometimes you just need that one player that can pull off that one piece of magic, and thats the one thing that I just dont think the Germans have.
Ohh I agree with you 100%, just mentioning that I never like looking at European qualifying stats, some teams are just so bad. I agree fully with that Germany doesn't have that one elite star. They just are a machine but I do fancy brazils chances much more than I did in the last word Cup to beat Germany. To beat The Germans you do need that player that's just completely unplayable like you say and I think Neymar on his day is the most unplayable player 1 on 1 in the world. That's where I think experience comes in to play for Germany as in the last World Cup they didn't have any of the top.5 players in the world but were so experienced and operated like a machine, we will see if this different group has the same effect vs the best teams in the world.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 AM   #509
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's a very very good player for his age but the fact 60 minutes did a story on him shows how they put so much pressure on some of their young players. He's good but he's not world class ballon D'or level good. I'd say guys like Mbappe, Dembele, Gabriel Jesus, Rashford, are much better. If the US ever wants to be competitive they need to have a Pulisic in every position.
That list is a little Brazil heavy lol but I see the point

Every list that's been put out for u21s ranking has varied a little bit but in general the top 5 has been mbappe, alli, Dembele, donnarumma, Ascensio

Pulisic isn't near that, but he gets hyped as such, and it sets unreal expectations
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #510
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Pulusic lad was eligible to play for Croatia and indeed they pursued him.

Appears that playing for the USA was the wrong choice ha ha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #511
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The Pulusic lad was eligible to play for Croatia and indeed they pursued him.

Appears that playing for the USA was the wrong choice ha ha.
In fairness, thats a bit of a cointoss.

Croatia are better. But not by much.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #512
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus he can make far more money in sponsorship deals in Murica than Croatia, although missing the WC is a huge blow to that.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #513
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Plus he can make far more money in sponsorship deals in Murica than Croatia, although missing the WC is a huge blow to that.
Hes a kid, he'll get plenty more chances.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #514
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

While that's true, 2022 is a terrible World Cup for getting notice in Murica because it's in December, the heart of the NFL season, rather than the middle of June when nothing is going on. That said Pulisic's transfer will be fascinating to follow. How much will clubs spend to get the first American star in Europe?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #515
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
While that's true, 2022 is a terrible World Cup for getting notice in Murica because it's in December, the heart of the NFL season, rather than the middle of June when nothing is going on. That said Pulisic's transfer will be fascinating to follow. How much will clubs spend to get the first American star in Europe?
I think its going to be underwhelming.

And its not as though the WC in Russia was going to be much better. Somewhat better, sure, but not much.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #516
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Pulusic will be in his prime in 2026 when they host.
USA should blow it up and not care too much about 2022. USA used to be unbeatable at home and ok on the road. Now neither of those are true. They were 1 win, 4 draws and 3 losses on the road. Only win? St. Vincent.

The US needs to play more on the road. Play tough road friendlies in weird places, like ... i don't know.. go play Uzbekistan or Morocco.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #517
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pulusic should have played for Croatia when offered. Loser Americans.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #518
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Pulusic should have played for Croatia when offered. Loser Americans.
The sad fact is that theres more money in playing for the disqualified Americans than there is in playing for Croatia.

And I'll give the kid respect for playing for the Country that brought him up as opposed to jumping ship to a better national team.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #519
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah i was really being half sarcastic. i really wish our kids would do the same.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #520
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But isn't what just happened with Pulisic exactly why kids play for better countries? He might have to carry a ridiculously heavy load just to get America qualified, let alone do any damage in the actual tournament. On Croatia he's got so much more help