Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #21
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
One of the best parts of this election is that it never became about Gender, Race, or Religion. It really didn't even get partisan right vs. left. This was the first election I have witnessed that was about issues and vision for the future.

Only hawkesworth went negative and he was for the most part ignored.

It does a dis-service to this calgary to say that a Muslim was elected and how pro-gressive we are. It misses the whole point that it was never even discussed.
It's not a disservice. That's sort of the point of the thing is that we are progressive enough that we elected him despite his religious background. That's why it's newsworthy!

In some parts it's, "Look at redneck Alberta and how they elected a man without first considering his personal beliefs... how progressive!"

And in others it's, "Look at this city in Canadia that we've never heard of before that elected a Muslim when most of the rest of us wouldn't because, well, he's Muslim! Now that's a progressive place!".

I think it's all a credit to our multicultural Canadian CULTURE and our ability to look beyond one's race, creed, what-have-you.

For the record, I didn't vote for him. But it had nothing to do with his race or creed.
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #22
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

After a nice long ride in the Waahmbulance after my meltdown over this yesterday, I am just going to STFU and give this guy a chance. I will admit I was a little harsh, but I guess I am a bit stubborn. No matter what side your on, I can't deny this guy pulled off a miracle. I don't expect miracles from him, I just expect the guy to do a good job representing this city and bringing in some new ideas from the same ole. I just hope there is enough new blood in city hall, and enough buy in that he can get stuff done. I will admit it is a great human interest and underdog story. go Nenshi

Last edited by pylon; 10-20-2010 at 12:19 AM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nenshi trending worldwide on twitter. Quite a phenom in the media about who Calgary elected and how he and his team did it.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #24
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still can't believe people call calgary a redneck town
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #25
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Well it doesn't mean that it is.

Just like lots of people still say the Flames can't score. Oh, wait...
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #26
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact he's trending world wide is pretty sweet. Historic day for him and Calgary in general.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 AM   #27
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand that it doesn't matter, at least not to me, but I've heard from more than one source that he's openly gay (not sure if it's true or not).

Frankly, if that's the case, I'm glad it wasn't an issue that was brought up in the campaign. It's nice to know this was about ideas, not about religion and sexual orientation.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #28
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I understand that it doesn't matter, at least not to me, but I've heard from more than one source that he's openly gay (not sure if it's true or not).

Frankly, if that's the case, I'm glad it wasn't an issue that was brought up in the campaign. It's nice to know this was about ideas, not about religion and sexual orientation.
If that really is the case Jay, and it comes out, it will truly prove if this city really is still a slack jawed, red necked, hoe-down colony. Personally, I could care less about his orientation, but I know a lot of people that did vote for him, that could prove to be an issue to.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:00 AM   #29
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worldwide trending on Twitter 24 hours later. That's absolutely incredible.

Calgary just showed the world we're not cowboy hat wearing rednecks anymore. So proud of this city tonight.

HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #30
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

"Purple Rain" is there too!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #31
TRIX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

this could be taken as racist but I don't intend it to be that way, just a comment, and if the mods feel they need to erase it well do what you gotta do...

first obama, now nenshi

if the USA can elect a black president, "redneck calgary" can have a brown mayor...simple as that, doesn't matter what he is, it matters who he is and what he represents and will stand for/do

kinda crazy though Klein to Nenshi....times have changed
It is official, I'm an idiot.
TRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 AM   #32
Jake
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If a Muslim was elected mayor anywhere in the US, even in a city a fraction of Calgary's size, this would be huge news.

I'm proud of Calgary and Canada that this isn't really a big deal to us. That may be a sad reflection on our southern friends, rather than something to truly be proud of though.

That being said, someone mentioned that they wouldn't care if he worshipped Zeus... I have to admit if he did worship Zeus I would be a bit concerned...
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #33
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Screw Nenshi, I wanna see some of these pickup lines.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #34
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
If a Muslim was elected mayor anywhere in the US, even in a city a fraction of Calgary's size, this would be huge news.
I'd give it time. The Media down here is quite preoccupied with their own elections and the crazy rhetoric coming out because of the Tea Party movement and the supposed demise of the Democractic Party's Majority. It takes a lot for the national media to pull their head out of the collective sand that is their own issues.

But there is one word that is guaranteed to get their attention and unfortunately, it's not social media. It's Muslim.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this story get some major play in the Media within the week.

My only fear is that main stream media gets a hold of it before the nut jobs who run the Tea Party's propaganda machine get wind of it.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #35
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfrogger View Post
No one seems to mention that one month ago he had 8% support and two months ago he had 1% support. Now that is newsworthy. That is the type of come from behind victory that movies are made of.
"In a world where social media was thought to be the domain of bong-hitting Dexter watching teenagers, one mayoral candidate..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
After a nice long ride in the Waahmbulance after my meltdown over this yesterday, I am just going to STFU and give this guy a chance. I will admit I was a little harsh, but I guess I am a bit stubborn. No matter what side your on, I can't deny this guy pulled off a miracle. I don't expect miracles from him, I just expect the guy to do a good job representing this city and bringing in some new ideas from the same ole. I just hope there is enough new blood in city hall, and enough buy in that he can get stuff done. I will admit it is a great human interest and underdog story. go Nenshi
I love a good Waahmbulance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Screw Nenshi, I wanna see some of these pickup lines.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #36
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did anyone else listen to 770 at 3 yesterday with Nenshi, I''m not a resident so I only listened to the first few minutes. The first caller they let through asked him if the new world order played a part in getting him elected since it ended up being a pretty decisive win that no one expected. You could actually hear Breakenridge giggle in the background.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #37
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Did anyone else listen to 770 at 3 yesterday with Nenshi, I''m not a resident so I only listened to the first few minutes. The first caller they let through asked him if the new world order played a part in getting him elected since it ended up being a pretty decisive win that no one expected. You could actually hear Breakenridge giggle in the background.
Did the caller say if it was the NWO 'Black and White' or 'Red and Black'?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #38
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Generally, rednecks don't mind being called rednecks.

Today, a redneck is a stereotypical southern United States socially conservative, fiscally liberal, rural, working class white person with northern European ancestry.

http://bsornot.whipnet.net/redneck/redneck.defined.html

America has had several Muslim mayors, including Teaneck, New Jersey. a predominantly Jewish community, which recently elected one.

http://www.cliffviewpilot.com/bergen...r-muslim-mayor

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...tional+News%29

Kountze, Texas - probably the equivalent political territory as Calgary, had a Muslim mayor in the 1990's.

Irvington, New Jersey elected a Muslim mayor in 2002, post-9/11.

And something from 2007, a Muslim Mayor of a Brooklyn suburb:

http://www.aafusa.org/muslim_mayor_a...xing_polit.htm

It's probably fair to say Nenshi is the first "big city" Muslim mayor in North America but he's not a pioneer.

Cowperson
Old 10-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #39
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am really getting sick of the social media angle.

He won by galvanizing the left of center support under his banner, not Twitter or Facebook.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #40
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post

If he indeed he is gay, and a Muslim, how does he look in the eyes of other Muslims? Are they more tolerant than other churches WRT homosexuality?
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote