Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2022, 01:26 PM   #281
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Nottingham Forest played well going forward, but the defence seemed somewhat porous. Dean Henderson was good though, and stopped another penalty. I think if they can continue to play like that, Forest probably stays up.
They should definitely stay up, spent a lot and i think spent well

Spurs were kinda wasteful on counter, could have had a few more

The richarlison cross to kane was so nice
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:31 PM   #282
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
They should definitely stay up, spent a lot and i think spent well

Spurs were kinda wasteful on counter, could have had a few more

The richarlison cross to kane was so nice
That cross was excellent and narrowly edged his other major contribution as my favourite for the day. I'm not sure who everyone will hate more between him and Romero!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #283
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fab and ornstein saying Antony to united is done

100m being announced tomorrow

Still think it's an overpay but he will improve the attack

Can put a decent starting xi out now with him and casemiro
Old 08-28-2022, 04:52 PM   #284
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
That was so bizarre... palace should have been up 3-0 for sure. Ball looked like it had been clearly released. Maybe it just feels that way but the small clubs never seem to get those kinds of breaks against the big clubs
Yep.

Man City could never catch a break until they had access to the wealth of a Gulf state.

It’s one of life’s great mysteries.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #285
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Yep.

Man City could never catch a break until they had access to the wealth of a Gulf state.

It’s one of life’s great mysteries.
I was watching Fever Pitch (about the formation and early years of the Premier League) and Blackburn was complaining about United for the same reason. I think it was Chris Sutton who said "well, they needed a call there and of course they got one".

It's a pretty good series (4 episodes, I think) on Prime. The prevalence of United and United supporters is a bit much in the first one or two. It gets worse in the last episode, of course!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:18 AM   #286
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Forest was a very fun watch. Way better than Burnley away!

Im surprised there isnt more talk of a Henderson transfer. De Gea is only 31. Are they planning on having Henderson replace him?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:47 AM   #287
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

De Gea is on £375,000 a week until June 30, 2025. Henderson has been the better goalkeeper for a few years now, but just like Ronaldo, tough to off load those wages onto any other club even without a transfer fee.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 11:55 AM   #288
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Forest was a very fun watch. Way better than Burnley away!

Im surprised there isnt more talk of a Henderson transfer. De Gea is only 31. Are they planning on having Henderson replace him?
Henderson looked like he had a good shot at replacing De Gea after 20/21. But Covid hit him pretty hard in the summer and De Gea took advantage of that and kept the spot all season. Henderson was pissed and forced the loan move to Forest pretty early in this year's window to ensure he gets playing time, but he also burned a few bridges on the way out. For United it's great if he does well at Forest obviously, they might sell him for a good fee next summer. Either way, I think they view De Gea (who has been on the decline over the last few years and, because of his limitations on the ball, probably isn't a good fit for ten Hag going forward) and Dubravka (loan deal from Newcastle was sealed today) as a stop-gap for this year and will properly address the position next summer.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 12:27 PM   #289
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was happy with how Fulham played against the Gunners. Defence looked strong and other than that Saka breakdown held the line quite well. They are going to continue to struggle to score though and need help up front. Can't fault Leno on the first goal and that deflection. I think that he had poor body position on the second one, but that's the game. Happy with the fight and the team aspect of the Cottagers to start the season.

Now it sucks that I have to listen to my boss gloat for the week because of this. Stupid Arsenal
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #290
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Henderson looked like he had a good shot at replacing De Gea after 20/21. But Covid hit him pretty hard in the summer and De Gea took advantage of that and kept the spot all season. Henderson was pissed and forced the loan move to Forest pretty early in this year's window to ensure he gets playing time, but he also burned a few bridges on the way out. For United it's great if he does well at Forest obviously, they might sell him for a good fee next summer. Either way, I think they view De Gea (who has been on the decline over the last few years and, because of his limitations on the ball, probably isn't a good fit for ten Hag going forward) and Dubravka (loan deal from Newcastle was sealed today) as a stop-gap for this year and will properly address the position next summer.
After he torched the club to the media, twice in a week, earlier this summer…. I can’t see Henderson with the club ever again. Bloody toxic, and if I had to put last seasons leak on one player, it’s him.

Meslier or Sanchez for me.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:22 PM   #291
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I was happy with how Fulham played against the Gunners. Defence looked strong and other than that Saka breakdown held the line quite well. They are going to continue to struggle to score though and need help up front. Can't fault Leno on the first goal and that deflection. I think that he had poor body position on the second one, but that's the game. Happy with the fight and the team aspect of the Cottagers to start the season.

Now it sucks that I have to listen to my boss gloat for the week because of this. Stupid Arsenal
That's Leno.
He's a good shot stopper and will make some great saves but he'll struggle on timing his jumps to catch corners & punch the ball out.
That was a very typical Leno moment, but he's a good keeper overall.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:15 PM   #292
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man united have their media pals pushing the ronaldo is the problem and must go today
Old 08-29-2022, 03:20 PM   #293
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Henderson has been the better goalkeeper for a few years now,
You basing that off the zero league games and grand total of three games that he played last season?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:21 PM   #294
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

and I agree. Mendes has been whoring him around Europe for weeks now and it's been nothing but a distraction. Ten Hag is using him as a late sub to kill time. The sooner this is resolved the better.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:26 PM   #295
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Man united have their media pals pushing the ronaldo is the problem and must go today
Who? Where?
How? As in attitude? Loss of speed?

Old 08-29-2022, 03:28 PM   #296
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
and I agree. Mendes has been whoring him around Europe for weeks now and it's been nothing but a distraction. Ten Hag is using him as a late sub to kill time. The sooner this is resolved the better.
Keane made a very good point that if Mendes was the so called super agent he is claimed to be he would have had a clause inserted in the contract stating he could leave as a free agent if no CL.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 03:30 PM   #297
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
You basing that off the zero league games and grand total of three games that he played last season?
He was brilliant for Sheffield United the season before. Yes, they were relegated, but without him, it would have been far worse. For some reason I ended up watching almost all of Sheffield United's matches that season so yeah, I think he has definitely been the better goalkeeper. That not to denigrate David de Gea, who I thought was excellent last season. He was terrible the year before.

What strikes me is how much the sport has changed in just the last three or four seasons. Shot stoppers like De Gea are on the way out. Ederson can play the ball better than most centre backs, and Bazunu at Southampton is right up there with him. Poachers like Ronaldo can't hold a place in the team as managers would far rather have someone who can press for ninety minutes.

Last edited by MegaErtz; 08-29-2022 at 06:59 PM.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:49 PM   #298
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love learning about football every few weeks when were graced with these visits
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 03:55 PM   #299
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Who? Where?
How? As in attitude? Loss of speed?
Attitude

ESPN saying united sources call him a pain in the ass and that hes divisive in squad

Says they celebrated when it came out he wanted to leave

Its mark Ogden, who hasnt ever turned down pushing a story he was given while never looking into whether it's true
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 02:02 AM   #300
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scott Parker has won this year's sack race.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1564520272090333184