Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2023, 07:21 PM   #4601
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Did some accidental gravel today trying to bike to Crossiron Mills following Google's bike path directions. Followed the pathway along 128th Ave NE which turns to gravel, up to a paved pathway, and then to wet mud and dirt under Stony Trail, then into a really dusty and rocky range road on 24th St NE/Range Road 10 until a crossing under Deerfoot to Bass Pro Shop.

Was so rough, FlameOn's back wheel skewer worked itself loose and the wheel came off as he was on my old bike with 28mm road tires.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:56 PM   #4602
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that route very, very well. I’ve got 20k, 30k and 45 km gravel routes that I do thru there.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 08:21 PM   #4603
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
https://gravelmap.com/#_=9.67/51.0128/-113.9813

Here is a map of gravel areas people have marked out, it’s a great resource to help plan some rides.
This is freakin awesome. Any idea of these are the same as gravel routes on Strava and Garmin Connect?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:14 PM   #4604
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not as far as I know. I think it’s user editable and been built up that way.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:09 AM   #4605
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

bumping this thread, can't have it on the second page.
Getting chilly in the mornings, time to pack a separate outfit for the afternoon vs morning
Old 08-25-2023, 05:02 PM   #4606
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
bumping this thread, can't have it on the second page.
Getting chilly in the mornings, time to pack a separate outfit for the afternoon vs morning

Soon it'll be time for knee then leg-warmers, double arm-warmers, always a vest. For gloves... full fingers and soon enough heavier ones or the ones that have the retractable section for the fingers.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 05:34 AM   #4607
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

I typically leave the house at 5 AM to ride prior to work, it's already full glove szn and arm warmers.

I bought power last week, installed them last night. I opted with Assioma's dual spindle version and was easily able to pop my pedals on the spindles. Set them up last night using their activation software and it was super easy to pair with my Fenix watch. They need a recharge after 50 hours of use, but the cables they include to charge are super long and megnatized so it shouldn't be an issue.

Was just under 500 Euros, but also hit with 50 CAD from customs. They did come really fast, though!

I rarely treat myself like this, but I'm interested to see what my numbers look like on some outdoor climbs and such versus what I see in Zwift and had made some money on a side hustle that I didn't expect.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:32 AM   #4608
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^

Is your 5am ride your commute, or just your enjoyment ride?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 12:43 PM   #4609
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
I typically leave the house at 5 AM to ride prior to work, it's already full glove szn and arm warmers.

I bought power last week, installed them last night. I opted with Assioma's dual spindle version and was easily able to pop my pedals on the spindles. Set them up last night using their activation software and it was super easy to pair with my Fenix watch. They need a recharge after 50 hours of use, but the cables they include to charge are super long and megnatized so it shouldn't be an issue.

Was just under 500 Euros, but also hit with 50 CAD from customs. They did come really fast, though!

I rarely treat myself like this, but I'm interested to see what my numbers look like on some outdoor climbs and such versus what I see in Zwift and had made some money on a side hustle that I didn't expect.
Have the same pedals, they’re great. No issues with drop out or incorrect reading. Easy to switch between bikes. I feel like I get way more than 50 hours out of mine between charges. By far the best power option as far as I’m concerned, have a bike that came with 4iii and it’s never worked properly
Old 08-26-2023, 02:45 PM   #4610
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
^^^

Is your 5am ride your commute, or just your enjoyment ride?
Enjoyment ride

I work from home full time. It gives me time away from the dogs and my wife, who I love. I just like the solo rides and time. I prefer to ride in the AM.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2023, 06:04 AM   #4611
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Having power (as in a power meter, not a motor) is a game changer for a cycling enthusiast, and I love my assiomas. 4iiii’s are good from what I hear, and it’s a local company that I’d like to support, but the ability to put the power pedals on any bike is a huge plus. If a person buys a new bike, rents a bike while on vacation, or gets an additional bike (like a gravel bike) the flexibility is fantastic.

I switch mine between my road and gravel bike regularly, so much so that I’m considering getting another assioma just for the convenience of not having to switch so often. But an extra minute or 2 to move them over isn’t a big deal.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:26 PM   #4612
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread 2

I have 4iiii on both my road and my Tri/TT race bike. Happy to support a local company, and they work great. Two bikes was about the same price as having pedal power. I have the non rechargeable ones, I get about 4 months of 3-4x week riding out of a coin battery (I get them in bulk, all our sensors use them). I noticed Zwift became easier at my normal power targets, I suspect my Kickr Snap Power reads low (even with weekly calibration).
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:18 PM   #4613
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Having power (as in a power meter, not a motor) is a game changer for a cycling enthusiast, and I love my assiomas. 4iiii’s are good from what I hear, and it’s a local company that I’d like to support, but the ability to put the power pedals on any bike is a huge plus. If a person buys a new bike, rents a bike while on vacation, or gets an additional bike (like a gravel bike) the flexibility is fantastic.

I switch mine between my road and gravel bike regularly, so much so that I’m considering getting another assioma just for the convenience of not having to switch so often. But an extra minute or 2 to move them over isn’t a big deal.
I want a power meter but I don't want them tied to clipless pedals. I prefer Stamp 1s on my gravel bike and I have custom 100g flat pedals for my upcoming lightweight road bike project.

Due to being hit by a car when cycling last year, my ankle was broken and I can't unclip my heels reliably nor do I feel safe clipped in any longer.

To that effect, I think my only option is getting power meter crank arms but that's going to be expensive for both a road and gravel bike. The other issue is that I haven't found a GRX 600 (Trek Checkpoint SL5) specific power meter that will have enough clearance with the frame since there less than 1cm of space. I'm going to check with the Bike Shop on Monday if they think this might work: https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/...r-389576-1.htm

All testing points to realistically no power difference between clipless and flat anyway, just a change in your technique and in some cases even faster.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-27-2023 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2023, 11:19 PM   #4614
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I want a power meter but I don't want them tied to clipless pedals. I prefer Stamp 1s on my gravel bike and I have custom 100g flat pedals for my upcoming lightweight road bike project.

Due to being hit by a car when cycling last year, my ankle was broken and I can't unclip my heels reliably nor do I feel safe clipped in any longer.

To that effect, I think my only option is getting power meter crank arms but that's going to be expensive for both a road and gravel bike. The other issue is that I haven't found a GRX 600 (Trek Checkpoint SL5) specific power meter that will have enough clearance with the frame since there less than 1cm of space. I'm going to check with the Bike Shop on Monday if they think this might work: https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/...r-389576-1.htm

All testing points to realistically no power difference between clipless and flat anyway, just a change in your technique and in some cases even faster.

It all comes down to what kind of riding you are doing, any kind of competitive riding where you need to surge and sprint you will need clipless, the power difference was over 20% for 3 and 5 second power. Steady efforts you can get away with similar efforts power wise but I think if you are only pushing down and not able to pull up you will develop a muscle imbalance which could eventually be an issue as well.
You could also look at crank based power meters but they are pricey, is you're ankle permanently weaker now or is it just a matter of building it back up again, if you can rebuild the strength in the ankle and regain the confidence of being clipped in that would be the route I would take.
I feel less safe if I'm not clipped in, an unexpected slip off the pedal of either foot can be a disaster if you're not expecting it. I had to ride 35 km last week on a pedal that came off the spindle and it sucked.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:47 AM   #4615
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Apparently the GRX800 crank arm works fine on a GRX600 system, just the inside where the power meter mounts is different, so that can be used with a 4iiii if it fits (frame clearance). Other options are discussed in this thread.
https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/...meter/71571/17
Old 08-28-2023, 09:46 AM   #4616
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Looks like they are closing the pathway by the Enmax substation in Douglasdale, just south of Deerfoot. Starting tomorrow until September.
https://goo.gl/maps/f7SXhxMwqYNyx4dP7

The map they have there shows a detour of around 8-10 km; for a 100 metre stretch to be closed.
FYI, this was open this morning, back to normal
Old 08-28-2023, 09:50 AM   #4617
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you send in a crank arm (or drive it over to Cochrane), 4iiii can do a factory install. I had a similar issue with my Canyon - zero clearance, but they were able to make it work. They just move the sensor further up the crank arm where there's more clearance.

Also the latest version of the 4iiii sensor includes an airtag sensor so it doubles as a security feature too :-)
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2023, 01:40 PM   #4618
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
If you send in a crank arm (or drive it over to Cochrane), 4iiii can do a factory install. I had a similar issue with my Canyon - zero clearance, but they were able to make it work. They just move the sensor further up the crank arm where there's more clearance.

Also the latest version of the 4iiii sensor includes an airtag sensor so it doubles as a security feature too :-)
I had no idea they were a local company and the prices seem to be half that of Shimano Power Meter crank arms? Too good to be true? I will certainly try hitting them up!

With the ankle injury, there's less flexibility and also pain sensitivity when I twist my foot to turn the heel outwards for the unclipping motion for any kind of clip in pedal. I may try SH56 STB MTB cleats at some point because they are supposed to be unclip in any direction and max flexibility kind but I find that I enjoy moving my feet around as I ride and it solves a lot of other issues and pain points that develop from being locked in place.

That failing, I have some good ol' fashioned clips with straps that would work I just need to avoid the Joe Biden toe cage incident.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-29-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:33 PM   #4619
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I had no idea they were a local company and the prices seem to be half that of Shimano Power Meter crank arms? Too good to be true? I will certainly try hitting them up!

With the ankle injury, there's less flexibility and also pain sensitivity when I twist my foot to turn the heel outwards for the unclipping motion for any kind of clip in pedal. I may try SH56 STB MTB cleats at some point because they are supposed to be unclip in any direction and max flexibility kind but I find that I enjoy moving my feet around as I ride and it solves a lot of other issues and pain points that develop from being locked in place.

That failing, I have some good ol' fashioned clips with straps that would work I just need to avoid the Joe Biden toe cage incident.
Shimano Power meter is garbage, stay away. Numerous online reviews of it being horrible . (unless you mean stages, they're good)
As much as I appreciate 4iiii being local I prefer something that works perfectly every time, Assioma costs a little more but has worked flawlessly.
4iiii not so much but to each their own.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:38 PM   #4620
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have talked about it in this thread before, but I am a big fan of 4iiii and Garmin. Both my good bikes have 4iiii power metres that have been factory installed in them in the cranks. One of their latest products is a power meter that can also act like an AirTag if your bike gets stolen. Both have great apps. It is, in my opinion, super cool that 4iiii and Garmin both have head offices in Cochrane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post: