Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2023, 11:10 AM   #4361
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Does anybody know who Northendzone's family is doing? I went biking at fish creek and thought about him. I've never met him, but he seemed to like fish creek.
The incident happened on the path South of Copperfield (adjacent to Stoney Trail). I spoke through email with his son, shortly after to get some information about the fund they set up through The Bike Shop.

Quote:
Thank you for the message. Ross loved Calgary Puck and we would all hear him laughing everyday from some post on the page.

My Mother and I set up a bank account to funnel the donations directly into buying bikes, instead of using a GoFundMe or other websites as they take some of the money donated, and we want to make sure that 100% of the donations will be used on what my Dad loved the most. We have partnered with his favourite bike shop on Macloed, The Bike Shop South, in which we will buy the bikes from them and they will make sure that the children who receive the bikes have them properly fitted to their needs. The best way to donate would be to send an E-transfer to this email address (rosspatonmemorial@gmail.com) that is connected to the bank account we have set up.

Thank you again Kevin for reaching out. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Ben, Joann, and Lauren
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2023, 02:01 PM   #4362
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like it was just a young one. He was entirely uninterested in us, though we did ride as far away as possible, made plenty of noise, and I took this picture *gasp!* riding no hands so we weren't stopping.

It was about 1.2km down the road when we saw it on the way back.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2023, 09:59 PM   #4363
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stellar day for an early afternoon MTB NW rip on 12 Mile Coulee then to the end of Bowmont and back via Sideshow. It's as if the rain didn't happen - totally dry except a tiny tiny bit of water in a few places on 12 Mile - but the driest I recall ever seeing it in there.
I was shocked how few people were out ride and walking the trails - it was nice of course but strange for a weekend. Probably everyone went to WBC and beyond.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:46 PM   #4364
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have a sense of how the resale market is right now? I know it was crazy 2 summers ago and people were getting ridiculous amounts on their used bikes, but has it normalized?

I regularly glance at marketplace and my impression is everything is completely overpriced (listing remains up for months), but I dunno? There are an insane number of listings as well. Im guessing entry level bikes will sell quick, while higher end stuff can take a while and you will never get close to what you want?

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-15-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:29 AM   #4365
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Anyone have a sense of how the resale market is right now? I know it was crazy 2 summers ago and people were getting ridiculous amounts on their used bikes, but has it normalized?

I regularly glance at marketplace and my impression is everything is completely overpriced (listing remains up for months), but I dunno? There are an insane number of listings as well. Im guessing entry level bikes will sell quick, while higher end stuff can take a while and you will never get close to what you want?
As a data point, I sold my cross bike at the Alberta Bike Exchange sale a couple weeks back. Priced it at the same price as the one listing for that model from PinkBike in 2019 ($750) and it sold. This was a 2009 Cannondale frame with 105. That was more than I expected to get. Lots of 10+ year old cross bikes listed for $1k. it's amazing to me.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 10:04 AM   #4366
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post

I feel like mid range bikes are still demanding a high price, anything with newer 105 or ultegra is 2-5K.
I've thought about buying a used bike just to strip the parts off I need, getting parts right now is getting easier but prices are super high.
Had to pay almost $400 CAD for 2 ultegra, rim brake, mechanical shifters
Old 05-16-2023, 11:38 AM   #4367
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
I feel like mid range bikes are still demanding a high price, anything with newer 105 or ultegra is 2-5K.
I've thought about buying a used bike just to strip the parts off I need, getting parts right now is getting easier but prices are super high.
Had to pay almost $400 CAD for 2 ultegra, rim brake, mechanical shifters
$400 actually doesn't seem too bad for that? I recall seeing quite it at quite bit more when I looked at Bowcycle, but it would have have been hydraulic disc. Even so, I am sure I saw something closer to 550 for 2 ultegra rim shifters.

Anyway, I was considering some upgrades on my Tarmac, but after pricing everything out, am now contemplating just selling and buying new. I will still pay more overall I am sure, but maybe not too bad if the resale market is decent. And new bikes are somewhat gettable right now, unlike the last couple summers, particularly if you are looking at higher level Di2 and eTap bikes.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:41 AM   #4368
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Who biked in to work today, what are you doing for the ride home?

Regular blue covid mask, N95, bandana handkerchief soaked in piss?
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:57 AM   #4369
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Who biked in to work today, what are you doing for the ride home?

Regular blue covid mask, N95, bandana handkerchief soaked in piss?
N95 mask. However I just made a brief errand, and riding back to the store into the north wind was probably the worst conditions I have ever biked in. If you have to deal with that wind today I'd strongly consider alternate means of travel.

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-16-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 05:50 PM   #4370
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also biked in with my N95. It was depressing as hell.

I hate this dystopic new normal.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:56 PM   #4371
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why are some people still rockin the studded tires? Seen..er... heard a few the last days
Old 05-17-2023, 07:16 AM   #4372
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Why are some people still rockin the studded tires? Seen..er... heard a few the last days
They have a couple of bikes, one for summer and one for winter. Something goes wrong with the summer bike, and instead of not riding they break out the winter whip? I've done it a few times.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 09:30 AM   #4373
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
N95 mask. However I just made a brief errand, and riding back to the store into the north wind was probably the worst conditions I have ever biked in. If you have to deal with that wind today I'd strongly consider alternate means of travel.
No N95 masks available at work so I used a regular light blue mask, I forgot how glasses fog up, annoying. Might have helped a bit, still could feel slight burning in my lungs, my ride is 20km. Decided to bike in again today, just going a bit slower so I'm not breathing as heavy.

Just read that the poorest air quality in the world is in Lahore, Pakistan. Yesterday Calgary was 5 times worse.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:32 AM   #4374
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mask for the ride, but I did coast as much as I could and took it real easy. Didn't seem too bad.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:57 AM   #4375
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tried to get a 2 min KOM on way home last night, ran out of air at 1 min, probably the lack of fitness but could have been the smoke too. Was gasping pretty good.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:58 AM   #4376
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Tried to get a 2 min KOM on way home last night, ran out of air at 1 min, probably the lack of fitness but could have been the smoke too. Was gasping pretty good.
Yikes. I'm no doctor, but you really shouldn't be working that hard with wildfire smoke in the air. Kind of cancels out the fitness benefits.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:30 PM   #4377
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Well, I am back in this thread for the first time in months after my hit & run incident with a Karen in an SUV. Ankle and elbow are healing from being fractured and I'm out of the wheelchair.

Now, my problem is my bike has an obvious crack right through the seat stay, there may be other damage in the carbon but others online have advised me its not worth fixing - much like a carbon hockey stick that can break unexpectedly at any time when you don't know if there is an invisible fracture. Does anybody know anyone who deals with carbon repairs and might be able to give an opinion? I'd like to try to get back into shape and include low impact biking into my physio plans.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 10:55 PM   #4378
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Well, I am back in this thread for the first time in months after my hit & run incident with a Karen in an SUV. Ankle and elbow are healing from being fractured and I'm out of the wheelchair.

Now, my problem is my bike has an obvious crack right through the seat stay, there may be other damage in the carbon but others online have advised me its not worth fixing - much like a carbon hockey stick that can break unexpectedly at any time when you don't know if there is an invisible fracture. Does anybody know anyone who deals with carbon repairs and might be able to give an opinion? I'd like to try to get back into shape and include low impact biking into my physio plans.
Locally there aren’t many but I brought a bike to Stick Fix to repair a small carbon chip. He also matched the paint but it was an easy match with it being a black matte finish. My friend brought a Dogma to him. Fix was good but couldn’t match the paint well enough so he recommended someone else for the paint and they did great.

$180 I think to repair the carbon. But he’ll also give you an idea if it’s worth repairing.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:02 AM   #4379
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Locally there aren’t many but I brought a bike to Stick Fix to repair a small carbon chip. He also matched the paint but it was an easy match with it being a black matte finish. My friend brought a Dogma to him. Fix was good but couldn’t match the paint well enough so he recommended someone else for the paint and they did great.

$180 I think to repair the carbon. But he’ll also give you an idea if it’s worth repairing.
Was going to suggest the same. I have no idea of the feasibility or if it would work but there's no harm in asking. Stick Fix (there may be others too?) are the guys who fix broken composite hockey sticks in case anyone is wondering.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:43 AM   #4380
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad to hear your healing - physically and mentally too hopefully?
As for bike damage I’d also be asking if the frame has one obviously damaged area, could there be others and how safety critical are they? I would suggest visiting a couple bike shops and get one of the long term Managers opinions. If you need names of specific people at Bow Cycle PM me.