Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #101
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's been a whole different team these past few days. I wonder where Bennett fits in when he is back?
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #102
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It is words like predatory and vulnerable or trying to determine what kind of hit was necessary that I struggle with... all those standards are so vague and based on subjective opinion. Could be interpreted differently every time. Come up with black and white rules and enforce them.

The only way to do that is define what body parts you can hit with and hit. Interpreting necessity, intent or vulnerability levels... these guys should be bringing lawyers to their suspension hearings, they are nonsensical impossible standards to enforce uniformly.

I do miss the scrappy games and physical hockey a lot. One of my favourite games ever when was that bloodbath against Anaheim where they flipped the puck over the glass to get berube back on the ice with a few seconds left. But I accept on a more rational level that people shouldn't be subjecting themselves to brain damage for my entertainment. Just wish they would make it clear where the line is.

Because for me today that rinaldo hit was clean before we bring subjective opinion into it.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #103
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had no idea about who ward is. This interview has been awesome, wishing him all the best!
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #104
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Geoff Ward is a good coach. The players seem to like him and he's not afraid to make major changes.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #105
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ward seems like a great human being. Would really like him to succeed and run with it.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #106
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete View Post
It's been a whole different team these past few days. I wonder where Bennett fits in when he is back?
Man, I wish Bennett could capture some of dube in his game
It’s simple, smart and opportunistic.

Can’t wait to see him back
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #107
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's kind of surprising that Ward has taken this long to become a head coach in the NHL. He's very well-spoken and has a solid coaching philosophy.

Two years in a row, the Cup will be won by an interim head coach.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #108
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1203559614500884480

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 94 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
---Hatrick---, -TC-, 3thirty, 442scotty, 81MC, bc-chris, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, Beninho, bigtmac19, Braden, bubbsy, burn_this_city, bzoo02, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, calgaryboy, Cali Panthers Fan, Canada 02, CrazyCaper, CroFlames, D as in David, Demaeon, dissentowner, djsFlames, Domoic, drewtastic, DynamRyan, FacePaint, FBI, fire_starter, FlamesNation23, FLAMESRULE, Flames_F.T.W, Flamezzz, flizzenflozz, Gaudreau is a Ninja, getoverit, GreenHardHat, handgroen, HockeyKhan, IamNotKenKing, ignite09, IliketoPuck, Itse, J79, jaikorven, jayswin, Jetfire, jg13, Jiri Hrdina, JurassicTunga12, KevinKlineReadingABook, kipperiggy, kkaleR, klikitiklik, Lanny'sDaMan, Le Golie, Loudog, Mattman, midniteowl, minnow, MolsonInBothHands, Monahammer, MrMike, Mustache, N-E-B, Nandric, nwflamesfan, Racki, Radio, redflamesfan08, redforever, Savvy27, schteve_d, Slacker, SmoggyFlamesFan, SnipeShow, Snuffleupagus, SOMBRI2, Split98, Stupid, terryclancy, Textcritic, the2bears, TheScorpion, Titan, Torchdemall, tvp2003, Ullr, Yobbo, zamler, Zulu29, zztim81
Old 12-07-2019, 11:26 PM   #109
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does cbc has after hours available somewhere online afterwards? Would like to watch this but centre ice cuts out about the time tkachuk gives the goalie a hug (on good nights)
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:27 PM   #110
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was a smelling salt.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:27 PM   #111
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Nobody has said that so far. And from the looks I've seen, I am tempted to say the principle point of contact is high chest, not the head or shoulders.

It's just a highly dangerous way to hit another player, which the league is trying to phase out.
So you are against clean body checks?

You are against any physical engagement with players that may result in injury?

Please tell Connor McDavid to slow down when he skates. You skate that fast sooner or later you will lose an edge and get hurt.

NHL does not stand for the No Hit League!

It was a clean hit! No intent to injure! Just a hockey play.

Guy got rocked and was back in the game 20 minutes later. He was not hurt!

Go watch figure skating, yet it probably offends you if the skaters fall when taking jumps. Why risk injury?

It is competitive sports! Stop watching if it offends you!

Nothing was wrong with the hit! It was a hockey play. Guy was back on the ice in short order being smarter.

My God you are saying the player targeted the upper chest! So a super clean hit! This is the exact hit the league wants players to make! You are offended!

Go watch a chess match!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chubeyr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:27 PM   #112
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Does cbc has after hours available somewhere online afterwards? Would like to watch this but centre ice cuts out about the time tkachuk gives the goalie a hug (on good nights)
Yeah it's usually online after
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:27 PM   #113
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very entertaining game (which is extra nice for HNIC Saturday night).

Would be nice to see Tkachuk and Mangiapane get some momentum too.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #114
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Poppa Bear and Baby Bear.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #115
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
It is words like predatory and vulnerable or trying to determine what kind of hit was necessary that I struggle with... all those standards are so vague and based on subjective opinion. Could be interpreted differently every time. Come up with black and white rules and enforce them.

The only way to do that is define what body parts you can hit with and hit. Interpreting necessity, intent or vulnerability levels... these guys should be bringing lawyers to their suspension hearings, they are nonsensical impossible standards to enforce uniformly.

I do miss the scrappy games and physical hockey a lot. One of my favourite games ever when was that bloodbath against Anaheim where they flipped the puck over the glass to get berube back on the ice with a few seconds left. But I accept on a more rational level that people shouldn't be subjecting themselves to brain damage for my entertainment. Just wish they would make it clear where the line is.

Because for me today that rinaldo hit was clean before we bring subjective opinion into it.
Great post! I completely agree. When I saw the hit, I didn’t see an elbow, or any direct targeting. Though I realize it’s likely to be penalized.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:29 PM   #116
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm excited to have Bennett back. I've been thinking about the team under Peters. it seems they were all playing, afraid to make a mistake and it kind of makes sense now. I think under Ward, they're playing a little more loose, less afraid to make a mistake. I think a guy like Bennett can flourish in that kind of environment.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:29 PM   #117
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
So you are against clean body checks?

You are against any physical engagement with players that may result in injury?

Please tell Connor McDavid to slow down when he skates. You skate that fast sooner or later you will lose an edge and get hurt.

NHL does not stand for the No Hit League!

It was a clean hit! No intent to injure! Just a hockey play.

Guy got rocked and was back in the game 20 minutes later. He was not hurt!

Go watch figure skating, yet it probably offends you if the skaters fall when taking jumps. Why risk injury?

It is competitive sports! Stop watching if it offends you!

Nothing was wrong with the hit! It was a hockey play. Guy was back on the ice in short order being smarter.

My God you are saying the player targeted the upper chest! So a super clean hit! This is the exact hit the league wants players to make! You are offended!

Go watch a chess match!
People can love hockey and still see the need for change
The figure skating blast isn’t meaningful discussion
It’s loud mouthed baffle gab
Refer to Matty as an example actually engaging in actual discussion about it even though he and I disagree
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #118
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, that was an extremely solid interview by Ward. If he has some success, I think he is the kind of coach that could last for a long time a la Trotz.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #119
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Poppa Bear and Baby Bear.

Old Bull & Young Bull
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:32 PM   #120
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Dube is frigin amazing. He should be on the top line, and is going to be a staple in the flames too 6.

He’s fast, smart,extremely high motor,with skill to finish.

Sky is the limit for this kid!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post: