Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2020, 12:31 AM   #1281
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Terminator Dark Fate wasn't... that bad? Kind of fell apart in the last third, too much CGI action nonsense, but up until then it was solid. I'm a bit of a fanboy so there's that but Mackenzie Davis was great and thought the designs of both her character and then new Terminator were pleasing.
I agree about the CGI nonsense. Sometimes they use it too much in movies and It takes away from a good storyline.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:26 AM   #1282
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
1917 was so so so good.
It's so good.

Immersive, visceral and as close to "breathtaking" as can be described about a film in this day and age of watered down, computer generated visual noise.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #1283
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highly recommend the Australian zombie flick/rom-com "Little Monsters" featuring Lupita Nyong'o, such a fun movie
Old 01-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #1284
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Finally saw Joker. It was pretty awful, 3/10

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #1285
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Awfully good!....

1917 8/10. Not really satisfied with the ending or it would have been higher!

You guys need to check out the new MarketMall Landmark. Every theater is Dolby Atmos and it made 1917 way better! and it kept me from falling asleep during star wars.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #1286
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
May I ask why you felt it was awful? I get that it's not an uplifting movie and may not be everyone's cup of tea but what was awful about it? Certainly not the acting.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #1287
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I was torn on that movie. I loved the performances, I loved the staging, and for the most part I really liked the story. But I just wasn't a fan of the joker portrayal itself.

I've always asked the question about how Crazy the Joker was? Or how much a actual mental illness effected his personality. I mean in the purest sense he's a complete psychopath.

But at the end of the day, I loved the idea of not knowing too much about the Jokers origin story and having to guess it. In terms of my Joker rankings

1) Heath Ledgers Dark Knight Joker - I went into that movie expecting to hate it, but it won me over in a hurry. Completely amoral with a high intelligence who could wound you psychologically. I always envisioned him as a bitter ex Military Intelligence asset.

2) Joker - Joker - JP was brilliant throughout this movie, the dancing on the stairs scene was brilliant. But I felt that he wasn't really the joker, but a sad man with serious mental illness hiding behind a mask and lashing out. I don't know how to frame it properly, but I didn't see the real cunning and brilliance in the character that made Joker so fun

2) The Cartoon Joker - There are lots, but I really liked the portrayal of the Joker in the Cartoons. He was a combination of sick and calculating. I didn't like the killing joke. But what set his Joker aside was the amazing realization that he is sick, he's done wrong, but he knows he's on this course that he can't get off of.

3) Jack's Joker - Batman - I loved this one because JN played it with such utter gleen and charisma. The origin of this joker was a mess to me, because Jack Napier was already a proto joker before his scars.

4) 60's Batman - Again played with such glee, but he was a comedy character who couldn't be bothered to shave his mustache under the makeup.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #1288
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please put Joker talk here...

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=175749

Still waiting for this to show up on streaming.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #1289
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
May I ask why you felt it was awful? I get that it's not an uplifting movie and may not be everyone's cup of tea but what was awful about it? Certainly not the acting.
I thought the script was just terrible, some of the dialogue was extremely un-subtle and made me laugh out loud. Joaquin was good but I thought the other performers were pretty hit-and-miss. The guy who played Thomas Wayne was really hammy. There were some very questionable editing and direction choices -- the inclusion of some scenes felt unnecessary.

But my number one issue was, once again, the script. Can't believe it's nominated for the adapted screenplay Oscar, it was one of the worst scripts I've ever witnessed in a movie. I also thought that, for as good as Joaquin was, the movie didn't do a good enough job of establishing the nature of his character. I wasn't sure how the movie wanted me to feel about him. There were times where I felt that the movie was underselling just how dangerous his character was. And of course I understand the nature of ambiguity and how it can make for interesting stories, but I thought there were times when the film almost seemed to be holding the Joker in too positive and sympathetic a light. It felt like a very dangerous commentary. And I do think there are sides to the Joker's character that are very tragic, but at the end of the day, I was uncomfortable with how the movie almost seemed to be veering towards praise for the Joker himself. And I found it difficult to fixate upon any of the other characters because they clearly weren't the focus of the script and were therefore very underwritten and flat.

I liked some aspects of it -- Joaquin was good, I like De Niro (but some of his lines were real clunkers), the art direction and production design was good, I didn't mind the score but it was a little overbearing at times. But overall... I thought it was a pretty awful movie sunk by a very thin script.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 03:23 AM   #1290
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To each his own but I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. I thought it was the best comic book movie in a very long time.

In fact, if he wasn’t called Joker and the city wasn’t called Gotham I wouldn’t have even known it was a comic book movie. The story felt believable. It felt real. It was raw. It was refreshing.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #1291
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
To each his own but I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. I thought it was the best comic book movie in a very long time.

In fact, if he wasn’t called Joker and the city wasn’t called Gotham I wouldn’t have even known it was a comic book movie. The story felt believable. It felt real. It was raw. It was refreshing.
That's kind of my take as well. As a person that's suffering from major superhero movie fatigue this one stands up on it's own as a great film as there was no CGI, no super powers, no capes or tights, no minefield of plot holes, etc and stood up on it's own as a really good film.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #1292
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of superhero movie fatigue I watched EndGame finally. It took me three days to watch it all. Maybe it was because I had some 'spoilers' but the movie as a whole was pretty predictable, and didn't really have any of the cool stuff you'd like from a movie with time travel elements.

Those avenger movies in general don't have any character development or narrative appeal. it just seems like they shoe horn in as many characters as possible so that everyone has their 5 minute bit. Glad I didn't see it in theatres. 7/10 because the CGI was cool and some of the jokes were funny.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #1293
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

echoing the previous thoughts on 1917. Fantastic. I usually find the single take style gimmicky but this was quickly forgotten. The prep work was clearly exceptional. The premise was so simple, justifiable, subdued and believable that there was never a moment of "that just wouldn't happen". You were immediately sold on the whole thing. Beautiful shots, the whole gamut of emotion, just incredible.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 11:00 PM   #1294
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally went to see Little Women tonight. Very good. Someone actually brought a baby. The baby made just enough noise so that we knew there was a baby in the theatre. Who does this? Also had older children who were clearly bored and going in and out of the theatre frequently.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 11:05 PM   #1295
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Finally went to see Little Women tonight. Very good. Someone actually brought a baby. The baby made just enough noise so that we knew there was a baby in the theatre. Who does this? Also had older children who were clearly bored and going in and out of the theatre frequently.
As a male I lost interest after the first hour. Talked with the staff in the lobby for the rest of the movie and left mother to watch the rest, which she enjoyed very much.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #1296
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People with families are the worst. The absolute worst. They should be ostracized to some remote island until their brood come of Economically Productive age and their forbears can be abandoned on ice floes.

Maybe not, but still. Pick age appropriate movies for your kids.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #1297
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
People with families are the worst. The absolute worst. They should be ostracized to some remote island until their brood come of Economically Productive age and their forbears can be abandoned on ice floes.

Maybe not, but still. Pick age appropriate movies for your kids.

I just thought it so weird. I’ve never seen anyone bring a baby to a movie. Not a clearly adult movie in the evening.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #1298
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just thought it so weird. I’ve never seen anyone bring a baby to a movie. Not a clearly adult movie in the evening.
I've seen it a lot. It's ridiculous. You couldn't find a sitter or can't afford one? Yeah that sucks but why does everyone in the theatre need to feel your pain?

There are lots of things you can't and shouldn't do with a baby. That is part of life and having a family.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #1299
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone brought a baby to our midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises back in the day, in Ultra AVX. They left like 15 minutes in to the movie.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #1300
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I echo that said about 1917. The trailer looked like your average war movie that's been done, so I initially had no interest until others brought it up here, but the movie itself turned out to be great. Nothing overdone, just realistic with simple story and yay for character development.

Just finished watching The Lighthouse. I'm a Robert Pattinson and it was...interesting? I'm convinced it was to show off good acting more than anything else, and frankly I had no idea William Dafoe was a good actor as almost every movie he seems to be the same cheesy villain with the rough voice, but for this movie both Pattinson and him were really good with long takes. It definitely took good acting to speak in old English, so subtitles helped. Worth checking out though it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post: