Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #1541
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The trusty beast has been with me for 22 years, I'll keep riding her until she disintegrates.
I just threw my whole bike out after 20. I had repainted it myself at one point, which meant the frame started to rust like crazy as well (old steel mtb).

I gave up on maintaining chains and just put a cheap one on every spring. There was a few times I had to whack a chain with a hammer just to get it off my bike. WD-40 works great to squeeze some more rides out of a seized chain until the weather warms up enough to throw it out. It's fun watching your bike chain stand up on it's own after you take it off.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #1542
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 for 6 days of commuting in this extreme cold snap. Feeling pretty good about it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #1543
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well done. Your legs must be like oak trees!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #1544
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So today my rear brake (mechanical disc) completely seized up in the braking position. I had to sadly walk my bike home and drive into work instead. I'm assuming water or grime got into the cable housing but I'm a novice at this. Any tips or tricks from you experienced winter cyclists?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #1545
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up the TRP Spyke mechanical calipers this year. They are absolutely fantastic. They have a plastic grime guard which probably helps. They are, as far as I know, the only dual pull mechanical around. This means you don't have to adjust them nearly as much. Just add some cable tension as the pads wear.

You can find them for cheaper on Ali Express, they mountain bike version (Spyke, roads are Spyre) are really hard to find in Canada. If you already have discs you can just order the caliper.

Highly recommended. Didn't have one issue in the bitter cold, though when I was shredding some gnarr pow earlier this year I think they got some snow somewhere, and I lost some performance briefly.

Of course, you need a solution now, so I'd pull whatever you have apart and see if you can get it moving again. If it is just the cable that's an easy fix. Disconnect the cable from the caliper and see if you can get it moving. A new cable is cheap and easy to replace. If you need a temporary one I've got a POS Clark mechanical you could use in the meantime.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #1546
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

went for a 15k spin last night. it was flawless outside with no wind.

also gave me a chance to test out a new light setup I purchased from amazon. for $25 it was a worthwhile spend - although i'd likely change my mind if i bought a $300 setup.

Looking forward to getting in some decent mileage this weekend
Old 01-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #1547
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
So today my rear brake (mechanical disc) completely seized up in the braking position. I had to sadly walk my bike home and drive into work instead. I'm assuming water or grime got into the cable housing but I'm a novice at this. Any tips or tricks from you experienced winter cyclists?
My Avid BB7 mechanical disks have have held up remarkably given my zero maintenance philosophy over the last 10-15 years on my winter warrior . I think the pad adjust knobs even still work.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #1548
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Speed Theory is closing up on March 1. Everything in the store is 40% off.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #1549
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pathways through Confed were treacherous this morning. The dusting of snow hiding all the icy patches didn't help, wither. Going to need to explore an alternate route until it gets cleaned up...
Old 02-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #1550
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That may have been one my worst rides in ever. Even with cleared pathways the chunks of ice and rutted areas were brutal, then throw in that light sheet of pure ice and I almost bailed three times. Not really looking forward to the ride home. Heck I think the conditions won't improve until we get some positive temperatures to get rid of that ice.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #1551
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I just put in a request for Confed to be gravelled, I'm not even sure what kind of conditions would make this all better, but it doesn't look like anything in the next week will make that happen. I might have to stay on 4th st to avoid the park for now.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #1552
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I stopped by Speed Theory to see what the sale was like. Lots of higher end road bikes available at 40% off. All clothing as well. I picked up a new chain (I'll need one eventually) and a couple jerseys. A new bike would be fun but that would likely put a strain on my marriage.

Apparently their landlord jacked their rent is from $15,000/month to $30,000 and it's just not viable anymore.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #1553
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I looked at their website but there weren’t any bikes that caught my eye. And speaking of straining a marriage.....

I’m toying with the idea of getting an aero bike, something like a Trek Madone. Anyone have any experience on that style, and any thoughts or suggestions?

Respect to all you winter bikers while I just am waiting for spring to arrive.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #1554
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That may have been one my worst rides in ever. Even with cleared pathways the chunks of ice and rutted areas were brutal, then throw in that light sheet of pure ice and I almost bailed three times. Not really looking forward to the ride home. Heck I think the conditions won't improve until we get some positive temperatures to get rid of that ice.
Nose Creek was brutal, but it got better for the southern part of the Bow River path South of Blackfoot. But there were some sections where you'd just hit some hidden black ice and studs didn't do anything to help. I had a few close calls.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #1555
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zee studs! Zey do nothing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #1556
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

How was the snowbank situation for all of you guys a little farther south than me? Nose Creek at Laycock Park was full of drifts.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #1557
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

on monday night i went for a spin in the singletrack in the bow bottom area.

everything is always so different in the dark. there were several times where i felt very disoriented.

i bought a $35 dollar light setup from amazon, that so far has performed reasonably well.

my buddy bought a really nice gemini titan that is a claimed 4000 lumens. really lights things up almost feels like riding in daylight

had my earbuds in, so i was unable to hear the holwing 'yotes.

trail conditions were pretty good
Old 02-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #1558
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
How was the snowbank situation for all of you guys a little farther south than me? Nose Creek at Laycock Park was full of drifts.

I didn’t notice any drifts between 8th ave and the zoo, but the ice ruts are so bad.

I submitted a 311 request for the pathway between the calf robe bridge and Ogden bridge because it’s sheer black ice and so slippery. Once again studs did absolutely nothing.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #1559
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They managed to very lightly gravel the pathway by the baseball diamond in Confed, but skipped the rest of the park, including the very steep access paths. So good job guys.

They have been absolutely awful this year.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #1560
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

newbie bike repair question:

last year my season ended due to a hard crash that bent my rear derailleur hangar, so i got a hanger adjuster tool and re-aligned it, great!

however in re-installing the drailleur, it won't screw in tight with the hangar, if that makes sense. if i try to tighten it against the hangar, it sort of slips back to being 2-3 turns looser

i noticed when putting the adjuster tool in, it pushed out a lot of black rubbery stuff, do i need to buy some locktite or grease or something to secure it in there?

as well, the cogs kind of...bounce? for lack of a better word - is that normal? it doesnt look like the wheel is out of true or anything, just the cogs sort of rhythmically pulse while the wheel is spinning. i dont remember seeing that before, but i'm really new at this
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote