Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #1981
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That's fine. It's been 5 years. Another month is good.
I'm actually a bit annoyed. The march 3 date meant there were almost 3 months to play it completionist-style before Last of Us Part 2 comes out in may.

Ah well.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #1982
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with the typical winter lull in video game releases I looked back on some recent titles and picked up Days Gone for $30. This somewhat hyped Sony exclusive got pretty middling reviews from critics while player reviews have been considerably more positive so I figured it couldn't be all that bad. I'm probably halfway into the game and I have been pleasantly surprised so far. It's not GOTY material but I feel the critics may have been somewhat overly harsh in their critique as IMO this game is on the same level as the AC and Far Cry games which generally get positive reviews in the range of 8+. It does all of the open style elements just as good as those games and suffers the same issues of repetitive side missions, etc. I feel if the game was sold as Assassins Creed Zombies it would have got generally better reviews as there seems to be a bit of a mob mentality in the video games media industry and because maybe it wasn't quite as polished as some Sony exclusives it seemed that a lot of reviewers in the industry took that as an opportunity to piled on a Sony exclusive much like how they blew the DRM thing way out of proportion at the announcement of the XB1.

If you are a fan of open world action adventure games and aren't sick of zombie games I'm siding with gamers here as this one is pretty good.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #1983
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So with the typical winter lull in video game releases I looked back on some recent titles and picked up Days Gone for $30. This somewhat hyped Sony exclusive got pretty middling reviews from critics while player reviews have been considerably more positive so I figured it couldn't be all that bad. I'm probably halfway into the game and I have been pleasantly surprised so far. It's not GOTY material but I feel the critics may have been somewhat overly harsh in their critique as IMO this game is on the same level as the AC and Far Cry games which generally get positive reviews in the range of 8+. It does all of the open style elements just as good as those games and suffers the same issues of repetitive side missions, etc. I feel if the game was sold as Assassins Creed Zombies it would have got generally better reviews as there seems to be a bit of a mob mentality in the video games media industry and because maybe it wasn't quite as polished as some Sony exclusives it seemed that a lot of reviewers in the industry took that as an opportunity to piled on a Sony exclusive much like how they blew the DRM thing way out of proportion at the announcement of the XB1.

If you are a fan of open world action adventure games and aren't sick of zombie games I'm siding with gamers here as this one is pretty good.

If you have PS+ I'd wait a bit, Days Gone is a game that screams it will be a freebie on PS+ sometime in the next few months
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #1984
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I actually just finished Days Gone about 2 hours ago and agree with pretty much everything you said. A solid 7.5 out of 10 for me. To be fair I think it had more issues at launch and I still saw a few weird glitches during my game play, but overall a pleasant experience.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:57 PM   #1985
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I paid $50 for it a couple months after release and thought it was worth it even with the bugs. Enemies freezing mid-air and causing you to leave the area and come back if you needed to clear out an area was the most notable bug I found. If you had a huge horde chase you it would get pretty laggy too but I'm not sure if they patched that.

Just a reminder, after you finish the story keep playing and you'll eventually get the true ending after doing some extra missions.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:26 PM   #1986
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I nabbed myself a copy of Gears 5 and Jedi Fallen order on a whim. I'm trying to figure out whether I should put more hours into death stranding in a few weeks when I have time or start up one of Gears 5 or Fallen order. I'm leaning towards something a little more action so probably Gears or Fallen Order.

Thoughts?
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #1987
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I nabbed myself a copy of Gears 5 and Jedi Fallen order on a whim. I'm trying to figure out whether I should put more hours into death stranding in a few weeks when I have time or start up one of Gears 5 or Fallen order. I'm leaning towards something a little more action so probably Gears or Fallen Order.

Thoughts?
Both games have their share of action but Gears is action oriented while Fallen Order has action and adventure elements such as climbing and puzzle elements. Can't go wrong with either as they are both good games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #1988
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Both games have their share of action but Gears is action oriented while Fallen Order has action and adventure elements such as climbing and puzzle elements. Can't go wrong with either as they are both good games.
I enjoy games like Prey. I really liked the original Gears on the 360, but I don't know how much my gaming tastes have changed.

If that's the case, it seems like Fallen Order > Gears 5 would probably be the order to tackle the games. Thanks!
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #1989
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys, should I buy a Nintento Switch for the classic franchise games?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:46 PM   #1990
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I wanted to put this up here, just because its an amazing mod to the old Empire at War game and is absolutely gorgeous right now the mod focuses on space combat but land combat is coming. But it makes a game that I really liked a lot more fresh.

I wanted to bump this a bit, because its such a shockingly good mod and completely changes the game.

First of all, at this point here's no ground combat, this is a space game.

The models are amazing, and the sheer number of ships that you can build is huge.

The unit limit for star ships in the original Empire at war was about 25, I fought my first battle tonight and it was 400.

I had a fleet of 8 star destroyers, 5 carriers, and a bunch of smaller support ships that were great for anti fighter combat. In my first battle I was fighting pirates and not the rebels. I jumped that fleet in, and the first thing I noticed was that the enemy AI was just far better then the original game. If you had a powerful fleet in the original game you could battle through, not this time, the enemy launched a huge fighter cloud at me, and while I was trying to clean them up, he flanked me from the side and caught me in a vicious attack, where I was trying to clean up the enemy fighters while turning my capital ships to take them on.

I finally cleared their fleet out and proceeded towards the pirate station. I jumped my reserve fleet of 8 venetars in by the enemy space station, and thought I had the battle won, when the pirates jumped in 8 Mandalorian battle cruisers and just ripped my reserve fleet to shreds. I eventually won the battle but it was costly.

The other cool change is they've made this game way more of a 4x, you have to pay attention to your income and build freighters and gas refinerys because if you run low on money the enemy will jump all over you.

The production is genuinely gorgeous to look at. You get caught sometimes because you set your fleets orders, and then hit the space bar for cinematic view and its just like watching a Star Wars space battle, but you lose track of the battle and the next thing you know, you're uber expensive Super Star Destroyer is burning in front of your very eyes.

This remake/mod is probably the best Space battle/conquest game that I've played in a long time, and its free.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #1991
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Between the new Switch games, Wii U ports and then the Nintendo Switch Online giving you access to NES and SNES games, it's a pretty amazing package if you're looking for access to Mario and Zelda stuff. Capcom has been great about bringing over every single Mega Man and Mega Man X title so far, and soon the Mega Man Zero and ZX games will be available too. Pretty much every successful indie game in the last 5 years is also available on the Switch at this point.

As long as you're not looking for Call-of-Grand-Theft-Gears level of graphics (I don't why anyone would want to play Witcher 3 on the Switch!?!), then you can get nearly everything you'd want on the Switch at this point.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #1992
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
If you do buy, Staples has a $100 off $500 coupon (DLE50001) that expires today, enough to get you an extra joycon or the pro controller or a game.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #1993
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
(I don't why anyone would want to play Witcher 3 on the Switch!?!)
To play on the toilet, duh.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #1994
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So Witcher is awesome, love the game. But man is it extensive. Trying to complete all this content just seems like a never ending task. How did you guys stay motivated through out? I'm only about 25 hours in but I am worried that I will fatigue and not finish the game.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #1995
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I couldn't finish it (Witcher 3). I'm shocked anyone has the time to finish it. It's just too damn big. Great game tho.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:25 PM   #1996
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Trying to complete all this content just seems like a never ending task.
Are you trying to beat the game, or complete the game? I assume doing all the side quests in a game like that is a massive chore.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #1997
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So Witcher is awesome, love the game. But man is it extensive. Trying to complete all this content just seems like a never ending task. How did you guys stay motivated through out? I'm only about 25 hours in but I am worried that I will fatigue and not finish the game.
For all these sorts of games, I always start out doing every quest I can find at the beginning then eventually I just stick to the main story line. I don't have the time or desire to do every little thing. I've also never been that person who cares at all about gathering trophies or awards from the gaming platforms.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #1998
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had to go looking for all the Gwent cards anyway, so might as well do the side missions along the way.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #1999
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I just did the main story and the “main” side quests. And most of the hunts because those were fun too. That was a good 70 hours or so. Trying to 100% Witcher 3 is a fools errand.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #2000
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ended up doing most of it, but it seems to me that it's really just designed to allow you to pick and choose what rabbit holes you want to go down, based on what seems interesting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote