Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #381
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^ I wouldn't count on many. from what I heard the NCHL committed big $$ to take all the evening ice times.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #382
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Wait until court date on June 21.
Which leaves it very late for the associations involved. Registration is happening, the affected associations are probably trying to figure out logistics, evaluations etc. The longer the delay goes on the harder it will be for them.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #383
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
^^ I wouldn't count on many. from what I heard the NCHL committed big $$ to take all the evening ice times.
I know ice time is short in this city, and that any any time a league moves to pick up ice somewhere it hopefully opens up ice times at the place (s) they leave but this is the third time a new complex has opened and a majority of the ice has been scooped up by adult leagues. Winsport, Great Plains, and now this complex would all cater essentially to non-minor hockey if this is the case. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, if these leagues left ice elsewhere to take it up here then it all evens out but if they are giving up late evening slots to take prime time slots here it does leave minor hockey in a jam.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #384
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^ Completely agree but I heard a rumor they are paying up to $500/hr for the icetime.

I was really hoping we would get use of the ice for decent times since the reserve is part of the SW association.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #385
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder how this delay in registration will effect planning for the Associations? I am sure McKnight and Simons Valley have had to purchase more jerseys? Both will need more ice that needs to be budgeted for and likely deposits made. Only Springbank and Trails west are allowed to open registration on June 1. They will have a leg up on planning over just about everyone. Just a huge waste in time and money. It is just dumb.

Boundaries changes likely get delayed a year is my guess. I would force the Saints (with their low numbers) to field teams in the top divisions. They had no PeeWee AA or 1 teams this year. Their top team plays in Div 2. So dumb

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #386
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my son's spring program is having it's end of spring season tourny this weekend. Was nice to slip away tot he rink yesterday afternoon to watch him play for an hour. They tied their first game at 5's and it included a game tieing goal for my son's team with net empty.

Fun hockey to watch as most players are the AAA level including some guys who I assume played junior A/B
Old 06-20-2019, 06:53 AM   #387
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boundary issues will go to court tomorrow.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...o-court-friday
Old 06-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #388
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am assuming that the associations who are challenging HC are somehow sharing the legal costs for this challenge.

would be interesting to see how much this will cost them
Old 06-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #389
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone know when the courts will rule?

Old 06-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #390
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am assuming that the associations who are challenging HC are somehow sharing the legal costs for this challenge.

would be interesting to see how much this will cost them
Which actually means how much it will cost all the families in those associations. Unless they have some cash reserves the money needs to come from somewhere and fees are about the only means they have to recover.

If they are successful in the appeal then those costs are shared between a smaller pool of families so more expensive. What is interesting to me is if they are not successful and the MHA's are merged then how do they cover the cost? Their association may no longer exist and it's not fair to expect families of the associations they were merged into to have to contribute to the legal fees via higher registration costs.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #391
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Saints (IMHO the driving force behind this) have over $300,000 in the bank. I assume they are paying for it. Hockey Calgary's cost will be passed on to the associations which will pass it on to the families.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #392
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the judge has ruled the boundaries will remain the same. Just ruled 15 mins ago.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #393
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...undary-changes

Old 06-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #394
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sets a precedent and a bad one at that. Long term this hurts minor hockey in Calgary in my opinion.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #395
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://calgarysaints.ca/page.php?page_id=22480

A lot of his points in his letter would have been addressed in the proposed changes other than the Saints would not have existed. Such a waste to time.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:43 PM   #396
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was listen to QR770 on the way home and I guess Kevin already has letters of exemption from Saints players asking to be moved. Our association (BV) is having AGM tonight to vote on going ahead with the changes or not. We lost Douglasdale to Blackfoot.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #397
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was under the assumption players could not ask to be moved unless there was no team for them in their home association. I’ve only ever seen goalies granted exemptions.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #398
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 09-26-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #399
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
All in all I am not impressed with minor hockey. It’s certainly not about the kids development. Come to think when you look at the NHL draft and our junior hockey results Canada is failing all the way to the top in developing hockey players.

Little things become big things, and I think we will go the way of England in soccer.
I haven’t played minor hockey in like 15 or 20 years.. it wasn’t any different then either.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #400
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Deleted

Last edited by Schraderbrau; 07-07-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Deleted
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote