Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-16-2020, 12:11 AM   #41
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Technically my drinking has increased this year (from basically the very rare beer to a six pack that'll last me a month) along with my drug intake (never tried it until I had some oil a couple times last month)

I'd like to drink wine with dinner all the time but my wife doesn't drink it at all so I'd have to polish the whole thing off myself and that's a nope.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:15 AM   #42
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting on my birthday this year, I've been trying out a new rule: no drinking if I had a drink yesterday. So basically I can only have a drink/drinks every second day. It's going pretty well so far. Requires a bit more mindfulness but I find myself replacing alcohol for physical activity on those days off. No doubt it has been great for my health.

EDIT: As for drugs, I live in Singapore so yeah... not going there. This is a country that vociferously opposes the WHO's proposal to change the schedule classification of cannabis so that it is no longer on par with fentanyl or heroin.

Last edited by icarus; 12-16-2020 at 01:25 AM.
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:16 AM   #43
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drink quite a bit, average 25-35 beers a week. I never get drunk though, I like sipping, getting a decent buzz, and keeping it. I get actually drunk maybe twice a year, not worth the hangover.

I find drugs and alcohol just increase whatever emotion I already have, and I'm a pretty happy guy, so that works out. But the biggest thing for me is I do not drink when I'm sad. I learned that lesson the hard way when I lost my son. Same way it makes me feel better when I'm happy, it makes me feel crappier when I'm not.

As for drugs, before it was legal I smoked weed maybe twice. Now I'll have a little bit here and there but overall it's never been my thing

Last edited by btimbit; 12-16-2020 at 01:21 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:44 AM   #44
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I've had maybe two drinks since the start of the pandemic. Never been a huge beer or wine drinker and I just can't do rum—maybe I've just had bad stuff but I gag whenever I go near it. I like the odd vodka or tequila shot here and there. G&Ts are nice once in a blue moon. But honestly, I usually just prefer a Pepsi.

Beyond my prescription meds, I don't touch drugs — never had so much as a cigarette. Just doesn't really appeal to me.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:39 AM   #45
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like to drink on weekends. Very rarely during weekdays but if I do, only a single drink.

Used to do lots of drugs in my youth. Haven't for 11+ years

Used to smoke weed almost daily. Haven't for 4+ months.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:48 AM   #46
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haven't touched booze in years except to buy a bottle for my mechanic once in a while. It's tough to get up early to go fishing when you're hung over.

That being said, my THC ingestion has grown exponentially since March. Wait... what?
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:36 AM   #47
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a two stiff rye & pepsi's Friday and Saturday night. Maybe one on a Sunday afternoon watching football and maybe one Thursday night but that's typically about it. The problem with smoking weed is that I have to have a drink when I'm high so I limit activities like that to only when I plan on having a drink.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:08 AM   #48
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never really liked alcohol. I'll have a glass of wine maybe twice a week. For both wine and scotch I appreciate the first two sips and after that I have to work to finish it.
I smoke weed maybe 1-2 times a month. It tends to have a meditative affect on me so generally I enjoy it. I would do it more often but my wife doesn't like it as much so she is a natural governor. I don't really like getting high alone. When I do smoke weed I tend to drink (and eat) anything I can get my hands on.
I quit smoking almost 6 years ago. I often forget I was a smoker for over twenty years.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #49
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I rarely drink, I can go months without even thinking about a drink. But I can smoke weed all day, everyday and not have any negative side effects. I've experimented with quitting many times, but i find there is no upside for me and i tend to be a more effective person as a regular toker, I'm more relaxed, creative and focused at work.

I seriously miss my rave days, going to music festival with a bunch of crazy people and doing drugs at a competitive level for a few days in a row is pretty much the most fun I've ever had. If their is a better experience in life than dancing to 100,000+ watts of electronic music in a big crowd of sweaty ravers with a head full of powerful hallucinogens, I have yet to experience it.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #50
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I used to consume about 18-24 beers a week, like the OP i found that I drank beer just to have something to drink. My wife bought me a huge pitcher and I make Chai Tea and chill it and drink that instead. I now buy a 6 pack a week and that is cool. I work Sunday - Wednesday, so I consume edibles only Wednesday -> Saturday nights. I take about 75mg a night, sometimes I add 25/50 more if i start early in the afternoon. Don't smoke or vape weed, my lungs are not in great shape from my younger years so that is a no go for me
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #51
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as i have gotten older my alcohol intake has gone from part of a beer post hockey, so usually having two or three cans of ceasers on the weekend, with the odd mid week can thrown in.

my son turned 18 in august and he went a little stupid for the first few months. Stopping in at random liquor stores to see what they carried, he would display his empty cans in a memorial in his room. I finally said enough, get a grip this stuff can be dangerous. I cleaned out his room, and he snapped back.

i am not into the 420 scene, as i guess i struggle with the fact that for 50+ years of my life it was considered illegal and getting it meant you needed to know a guy. I also have two teenagers and i worry that having it at home would set a bad example even if i wanted it.

Hopeflly those that are struggling with this stuff can find the support they need.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:57 AM   #52
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Haven’t had a drink in over 6 years. Excellent decision.

Weed, sometimes.

Mushrooms, maybe if legalized I’ll try again.

No other drugs.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #53
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I've never tried any illegal drugs. I was always afraid that I would enjoy them and get addicted. I definitely have that sort of personality. I've never been much of a drinker. Never had my first drink until after I was 21. Had a few years of moderate social drinking but by my late 20s it was already down to a couple times a year. I don't like beer so that has always limited my casual drinking.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #54
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I love beer, but I hate hangovers. I generally stick to one beer in an evening if I’m going to have one. I try to space the days it so I’m not drinking every day. Over the summer we had friends from Calgary visiting and I drank a lot. To a week off to recover from that.

Every once in a while I will take a long term break from booze, should probably do it again but I just received a care package with a bunch of beers from Cabin along with my 12 Days of Scotchmas. So January would make sense.

Cannabis on the other hand is something I don’t feel bad about. Helps me sleep and doesn’t leave me feeling awful I’m the morning. I have a dry herb vape and that’s nice for moderation. My wife uses it a lot as well.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #55
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've definitely increased my alcohol consumption this year but since it was pretty low to start with it's not terrible - basically went from one drink on Friday-Sunday evenings to two drinks. However I find I'm hardly ever drinking beer anymore, more likely to make an interesting cocktail or open a bottle of wine with Sunday dinner. I generally don't drink alcohol during the work week.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoy drinking good beer. I dislike drinking bad beer. I like whiskey.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #57
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm completely just a social drinker, so alcohol has pretty much been non existent since social gatherings have gone away. I don't think I've had any alcohol consumption in about 3 months now, to be honest. Since the pandemic started in March, I think I've maybe had 10 occasions to indulge in any alcohol at all, to be honest.

As for recreational drugs, I've honestly never had them ever in my life, so that relationship is also non existent since the very beginning.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #58
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've always been a drinker. Before the pandemic I would have a couple glasses of wine a night, more on the weekends. I've gotten to the point where I feel I will need to reach out for help once this is all over to get it under control or stop altogether. I wake up hungover more mornings than not (on the nights I sleep at all), and while I'm totally fine up until 4 pm or so, I think about it non-stop after that and typically give in and have a drink. So unfortunately I have developed a really unhealthy relationship with alcohol. And even though I know it makes me feel like garbage, fuels my insomnia, it's expensive and incredibly unhealthy in the quantities I drink it, giving it up scares the hell out of me
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #59
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Daily pot smoker and have been for quite a while- was always later in the evening after the kids were in bed. Now it's a bit more frequent, finding myself walking the dog or visiting the garage right after work to sneak in a puff to take the edge off. Still absolutely functional, but a light buzz helps fight off the blahs for me after a day of working at home/ never leaving the house. I still don't smoke a lot, just a little multiple times per day
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #60
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never done weed or drugs. Just not my thing.

I love alcohol, beer and scotch especially. The weird part is I'll go weeks or months with no drink, and I don't miss it. Sometimes on a Friday night I'll like to have a couple whisky's, but I also like to work out Saturday mornings when the family is asleep, and my workout sucks if I do that, so even those are rare.

One of my absolute favorite things in the entire world is a non-pretentious pub, down to earth food, and ice cold beers with friends. Having sports on the TV is a bonus.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote