Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #41
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I just realized my car reeks like smoke.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #42
boobaloo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good for you all, I quit 13 years ago and am healthier and richer than I was back then. Don't miss it at all, among the best things I ever did. Keep up the good work, it isn't easy, but it is rewarding when you accomplish it!

The first year, I put the money in a "piggy bank" every time I would have purchased a pack of smokes. We went to Hawaii for a week on the savings...after that it was a no-brainer: Kill myself smoking, or go to Hawaii every year.

Make sure you do something nice for yourself as a reward (save and buy that something you always wanted but couldn't "afford" because of all the money you were spending smoking)

Last edited by boobaloo; 02-11-2011 at 03:29 PM.
boobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #43
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's that Alan Carr book about anyway? I don't smoke, but with all the promoting on this thread, I feel like I should read it heh.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #44
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I quit smoking on September 29, 2010 after about 20 years of smoking about a pack a day. My wife has quit for about a year and a half now. We both started living more actively and eating better and it's amazing what a difference the little lifestyle changes make.

What really worked for me and my wife was reading "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. It's a short, quick, easy read and it worked when nothing else had in the past. The only problem with it, if you want to call it that, is that you are encouraged to smoke while you're reading.

Good luck to all. This is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
I'm going to get this book and give quiting another chance. I've been off smokes for years at a time at least 4 times. I always have "just one" and then four years of smoking goes by.

Good Thread!
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #45
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Someone have a copy of this book they would like to loan out or sell? I cant find it on iBooks.
It's definitely there. I used the audio version to quit.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #46
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Even though I have never been a smoker, I saw my Dad struggle to quit many years ago, and I have watched my father in law be on again, off again with smoking. I'd still like to offer you all my best wishes. Good luck!
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #47
NinePack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ive have quit for 6 + now . I tried to quit 20-30 + times and i always eventually made it back to smoking. What i found the hardest is when your having just a bad day out of ordinary bad. Kinda like if you sleep in and rushing to get to work , end up speeding and getting a ticket , go to get a coffee and forgot you wallet and realize it was beside your lunch. After work you car doesnt start kinda days.

One day i woke up and the thought of cigarettes disgusted me. Everything about them. I have no urge to smoke or put any kind of tobbaco into my body. It was killing me and i had to pay a premium to do it.

Its was hard to pick one day to quit. I had to follow my gut , Everytime i woke up not wanting to smoke i went with it.

Its a horrible addictive drug and hope everyone can rid themselves.

Last edited by NinePack; 02-11-2011 at 10:24 PM.
NinePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #48
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quit back in 2006. Only one small lapse in judgment when I went to vegas about 2 years ago, but it was only half a smoke and I couldn't even inhale...

The biggest thing for me was getting over the mental idea of "I just can't see myself not smoking. I smoke in all situations. In the car, drinking, at work, everywhere."

But soon, as time passes and you begin to build up your days without smoking, it becomes more of a personal achievement that you don't want to break.

"I haven't smoked in 2 months. I'm not breaking that now."

That went on for a while until I started playing hockey again, and I would rather play hockey and have some fun than be out of breath. So that was a personal reason to keep it going.

Now, I've got a daughter and there's nothing more motivating to never pick it up again than her.

As a smoker, you really have no idea of how bad it smells. Everything. The clothes, the car...

Now as a non-smoker, I get disgusted when someone who just smoked talks to me. F'in gross. You really can't appreciate what everyone has been telling you for years until you experience it for yourself.

I occasionally think, wow, this would be one of those times where a cigarette would just be wonderful. Then I snap out of it and carry on. It's really no longer an issue and it's rarely ever on my mind anymore. But it's taken years. Keep at it, you can quit.

It's tough. You've just got to get past a certain point (which is obviously different for everyone) and then it becomes a little easier day by day.

I went on Wellbutrin for a few months to quit and I credit that to really helping me. I saw no daemons eating flesh in my dreams, didn't want to kill myself. Wonder if I got a placebo. The only side affect was a bit of insomnia.

Stopped taking the pills with no adverse affects a few months later.

Last edited by Jayems; 02-11-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #49
Circa89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This was my mantra to quit smoking when I was having a craving.

"This sucks, but it doesn't suck as bad as Chemotherapy." I knew a couple of friends of my parents etc that passed from lung cancer and that didn't look like good times. It makes it a lot easier when you have actual visual images of the results and not some government warning on a pack.
Circa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #50
Uncarved
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I quit on Jan 14th so im 4 week past the date. I've been smoking for 12 years.

I feel the best way to quit the habit is to go cold turkey. The first few days can be a bit tough, but remember to stay positive and thing of all the good reasons for quitting. Don't replace the craving with anything as that is the habit you are trying to break. You'll get the urge that you are hungry but as long as you know this is just a nicotine craving you probably won't gain as much weight. The actual nicotine withdrawls last about 4-7 days getting easier as the days pass. Then after that it is mostly the mental addiction that you need to break, the habit of having one after a meal or on the drive home. By the 3rd week you will bearly even notice.

I found Alan Carr's quit smoking book to be quite informative with de-brainwashing you from the reasons for smoking and the reasons why most people fail at quiting.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Douglas Adams

Last edited by Uncarved; 02-12-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Uncarved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #51
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I've often thought there should be rehab for smokers. Somewhere in the tropics where you can go for two weeks, break the habit and not have your everyday routine to deal with at the same time.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #52
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I've often thought there should be rehab for smokers. Somewhere in the tropics where you can go for two weeks, break the habit and not have your everyday routine to deal with at the same time.

And it should be paid for by the government.

Hey, why not? They tax the cigarettes I've bought for 6 years pretty heavily.

One thing I've always wanted is the government to legislate "safe" cigarettes. Make putting all that crap in your smokes illegal. Just tobacco. No putting all the other crap in there.

I've heard that tobacco companies won't do it because making a "safe" cigarette would be admitting that the current smokes are unsafe and thus open them up to billion dollar lawsuits.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #53
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am so glad I have never smoked. I grew up with both parents smoking, which is usually a good way to get the kids started. I'm not sure how I avoided it, but I did. Have never even tried it.

I am proud of everyone who has made the choice to quit.

I have found some interesting tactics in this thread that I can use to make changes in other areas of my life, so I thank you all for that!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #54
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, interesting timing for me as I have just been to the doctor and had the good old EKG scan and some bloodwork done.

Anyway the doctor told me about this book, this girl I know has it on her coffee table but hasn't read it, and now this thread recommends. I'm reading it now.. hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll be a non-smoker!
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #55
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am in, great idea! So are we done as of 12:00 am monday morning?
I'm in! I have to! And I'm only 30
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #56
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I shut 'er down July 20, 1993. I visited my mother that night and she was on the patch (prescription in those days). I had no plan to quit, but I snitched a patch from ma put it on the next morning, saying that TODAY I'm not smoking, I'm not sure about tomorrow. Next day I went for my own 'scrip and that was that.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #57
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know this sounds simplistic, but after smoking for over 30 yrs.
1 day I just felt I had enough. Never smoked since. Smoke free for
over a year now and consider myself lucky. No cancer (YET) no
shriveled penis! Keeping my fingers crossed.
My point is, when you are ready to quit, you
just will. Simple.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #58
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quit chewing about 6 months ago. It wasn't easy but I did it. I went from a can of long cut to pouches then to bandits then to snus's. After about 2 months I was done with out a single urge to chew.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #59
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Totally just flipped on some guy at work. To be fair he was being an obnoxious dick.

Nevertheless I do kind of feel like the lady in the nicorette commercial (or whatever it is) where she's a stewardess flipping out on people.

Haven't had much in the way of cravings though. Just find myself a tad irritable.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #60
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cecil, Try chewing some gum to help keep you occupied. Another thing that did me a great deal of help was staying away from people when I got irritated.