Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #1
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Indonesian flight SJ-182 missing off coast of Jakarta

Sriwijaya Air flight SJ-182 is currently missing after taking off from Jakarta . This flight is coming out of the same airport where the Lion Air flight 610 737 Max crashed shortly after takeoff and is feared to have gone down somewhere in the ocean.

Quote:
Indonesian authorities were conducting an intensive search in the waters off Jakarta on Saturday night after they lost contact with a Boeing 737-524 carrying 62 people, all Indonesian citizens.

The Sriwijaya Air flight, SJ 182, took off at 2.36pm local time and was bound for Pontianak in West Kalimantan, a flight that usually takes about 90 minutes.
However, flight tracking data showed the plane taking a steep dive just four minutes after it left Soekarno-Hatta Airport.

Sriwijaya Air said the 62 people on board comprised 50 passengers and 12 airline employees, of whom six were on duty as flight crew. There were 40 adults, seven children and three infants among the passengers. All those on board were Indonesian, the country’s transport safety committee said.
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/econo...flying-jakarta

Flight radar tracking notes a huge altitude loss before contact was loss. ~10K ft in a minute.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...k-clc#26860e0e

Last edited by FlameOn; 01-09-2021 at 10:48 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

First in to point out this was a 737-500 which is two generations older than the MAX aircraft. I haven't see a report of the exact age of this particular aircraft but the last 500 series rolled off the assembly line in 2000 (Wikipedia) so it is a minimum of 20 years in age.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:06 AM   #3
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
First in to point out this was a 737-500 which is two generations older than the MAX aircraft. I haven't see a report of the exact age of this particular aircraft but the last 500 series rolled off the assembly line in 2000 (Wikipedia) so it is a minimum of 20 years in age.
Reports are saying this is a 26 year old plane. At the rate of altitude loss it wasn't a soft landing.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Black boxes have been found, the aircraft was built in 1994 serving Continental/United until it's sale to Sriwijaya in 2012.

Just a guess but I would not be shocked if this isn't a case of metal fatigue like the Aloha Air in the 80's, the constant pressurization/decompression on these airframes takes a toll.

I personally would never take a flight on an old aircraft used for basically island hopping
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #5
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Black boxes have been found, the aircraft was built in 1994 serving Continental/United until it's sale to Sriwijaya in 2012.

Just a guess but I would not be shocked if this isn't a case of metal fatigue like the Aloha Air in the 80's, the constant pressurization/decompression on these airframes takes a toll.

I personally would never take a flight on an old aircraft used for basically island hopping
A very wild guess at that. A 26 year old airframe is not that old, particularly if the cycle count is average. This airframe was not an 'island hopper' for the majority of its life, which is really irrelevant anyhow.

Have you referenced the weather conditions at the time of this crash? Have you noted the deplorable safety record of Indonesian carriers as a whole? Indonesian carriers were banned from flying into the US and European Union for many years because of their poor safety record and protocol. I'd be looking under other rocks if you think metal fatigue will come out as the underlying cause of this crash.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #6
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sriwijaya Air flight 182 crash victims:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...out&li=AAggNb9