Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2021, 08:04 PM   #101
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Funny how they can't say the 17-year-olds name in the article because of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, but it's already out there because they were allowed to release it when searching for him.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #102
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That body cam footage is going to be terrifying and so awful for the family to see in court. They can tell that the passenger grabbed the wheel while the driver pushed him off the car into oncoming traffic.
Exactly. The body cam footage from three different officers is so brutal the prosecution is going for first degree murder charges and no bail. My guess is as soon as the defence lawyers see and hear the video they negotiate guilty please ASAP.

Last edited by guzzy; 01-04-2021 at 10:09 PM.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:21 PM   #103
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hopefully the prosecutors push for the max for both of them, and the 17 year old to be tried as an adult since it sounds like he pushed the officer to his death.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:39 PM   #104
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Exactly. The body cam footage from three different officers is so brutal the prosecution is going for first degree murder charges and no bail. My guess is as soon as the defence lawyers see and hear the video they negotiate guilty please ASAP.
If they get bail, I will be pissed. We already know they are a risk to flee based on their actions.

I wouldn't even want bail if I were them. Just based on our justice system, they are unlikely to be imprisoned for literal life but for sure they are getting a lot of jail time. Their guilt is undeniable and everything else is just a formality at this pioint. If I were one of the accused, I would rather stay in jail now and get credit for time served (typically it is better than 1:1 ratio). People in the process of being convicted also have an easier stay in prison and get access to way more than a convicted person. I would get the lawyer to delay as long as possible to stay in remand and soak up the "time served" before having to head to real prison for 25 years. The little bit of freedom they would get now on bail isn't a good time investment in the long run for them.

They should do it like in the pre-Victorian days where "bail" wasn't actually money, but a person to stand in for you if the convict did flee. It usually had to be a close family member. Not being entirely serious, but honestly, monetary bail is pointless if the people are rich.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-05-2021 at 01:37 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #105
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This incident reinforces why I cringe everytime the haters come out of the woodwork to bump the Let's Talk about the Calgary Police Service thread. The police are not perfect as there's bad apples in every single group of humans but they have families just like us and put their lives on the line every single day. They deserve a lot more respect than they get from a lot of people.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #106
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Funeral Procession today.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/formal-pr...sday-1.5253878

Quote:
According to police, the procession route will begin near the medical examiner’s office in the northwest. The vehicles will travel east along Bowness Road, which becomes Third Avenue N.W., which becomes Parkdale Blvd. N.W., and continue eastward along Memorial Drive before reaching the final destination of a funeral home in Forest Lawn.

The procession is scheduled to begin at noon and is set to include the Calgary Police Service's skye boat, the honour guard, and members from the CPS traffic section.

Calgarians wishing to pay their respects are encouraged to line the procession route while observing physical distancing recommendations. A livestream of the procession will also be available on the CPS YouTube channel.
Hope to see a the streets lined with support.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #107
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
New Years Resolution: every police officer we happen to see in person, we should make a point of saying thank you for serving in what is turning into, or perhaps always been, a thankless job. I’d go so far as opening that resolution/rule up to all emergency services.
I've been doing this for years and they are always so appreciative.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #108
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thank you to our resident officers. I wish I could buy every single one of you a coffee and thank you in person.

This has hit me hard on multiple levels. In 1992, Constable Rob Vanderweil was killed during another routine traffic stop. Rob was our next door neighbour growing up and was like an uncle to my brother and I. Though not family by blood, we lost a family member that day and it still has a profound impact on my life.

The senseless murder of Sgt. Harnett has brought back many tragic memories for my family and I, including today's funeral procession. We walked in the procession for Const. Vanderweil and stood outside the church and listened to the service.

I live in Falconridge and to get to the grocery store, we drive past the place Sgt. Harnett was killed. We will remember him daily.

As previously asked by another member here, please take the time to personally thank our police officers for their service to the officers you see. Every single one of the countless I have done this with has been genuinely appreciative of the gesture.

R.I.P Sgt. Andrew Harnett
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #109
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This incident reinforces why I cringe everytime the haters come out of the woodwork to bump the Let's Talk about the Calgary Police Service thread. The police are not perfect as there's bad apples in every single group of humans but they have families just like us and put their lives on the line every single day. They deserve a lot more respect than they get from a lot of people.

These are not mutually exclusive at all. Police deserve and require some of the highest criticism and scrutiny in the land, because they hold some of the highest power in the land.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #110
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
These are not mutually exclusive at all. Police deserve and require some of the highest criticism and scrutiny in the land, because they hold some of the highest power in the land.
I think the point is morso to the cases like that dippy man child who instigated a fight at the rink with the cops. He had plenty of sympathy on here and the officers were fairly well criticized.

On that I think EE makes a very good point. When we start to defend people who disrespect the police, we are setting a tone.

I don’t think EE meant people rightly criticizing the cop who slammed that girl to the ground in cuffs.

I see it as the pendulum has swung too far in one direction. Cops deserve oversight for sure, but not over every little move.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #111
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

In light of all outrage the last few days with respect to politicians going on vacation should we be outraged at all about the Calgary Police Service obviously breaking Covid protocols with respect to the officers death? I just saw some of the video and photos outside the funeral home and it doesn't conform to social gathering or funeral puidance from AHS.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #112
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think more people should be outraged by your insensitivity...
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:47 PM   #113
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSY View Post
I think more people should be outraged by your insensitivity...
How many hundreds or thousands of families haven't been able to have proper funerals for their friends and families over the past few months? Why should the police be able to gather together en masse for a celebration/funeral?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #114
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Post it in one of the anti-COVID restriction places online ... Show a little bit of respect for someone who gave their life protecting you. This is not the place for it.
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BOSSY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #115
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
In light of all outrage the last few days with respect to politicians going on vacation should we be outraged at all about the Calgary Police Service obviously breaking Covid protocols with respect to the officers death? I just saw some of the video and photos outside the funeral home and it doesn't conform to social gathering or funeral puidance from AHS.
For your information AHS provided CPS with an exemption, and all officers were wearing masks.
underGRADFlame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #116
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
How many hundreds or thousands of families haven't been able to have proper funerals for their friends and families over the past few months? Why should the police be able to gather together en masse for a celebration/funeral?
Does this really require an answer?

Have some respect.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #117
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

The RCAF did a flyby with two CF-18's...and they did a variation of the Missing Man Formation as they passed over Westwinds

https://twitter.com/user/status/1348036725944119298
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 10:49 PM   #118
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
The RCAF did a flyby with two CF-18's...and they did a variation of the Missing Man Formation as they passed over Westwinds

https://twitter.com/user/status/1348036725944119298
They did a flyby over Strathmore as well. Sgt. Harnett lived out here.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #119
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #120
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Was I the only one that was hoping those fighters were going to launch missiles into those kids' house?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote