Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #41
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I could have lived with just the single 1st round pick being given up but the two 2nd round picks are arguably bigger in the big picture. Of all organizations in the league none should know better about the perils of trading all your 2nd round picks more than the Flames yet for some inexcusable reason the cycle is repeating. We are unfortunately a few years away from starting the entire rebuild all over again before the current team even had a chance to properly rebuild which is extremely depressing.

Lol. Probably a good time to step away from things for a bit if the team's situation is "extremely depressing" to you. Watch the games, be a fan, but don't be so emotional.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #42
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Sorry, what’s our projected ‘losses allowed’? One more?
8-2-0 needed to hit 96 points.

Or 7-1-2

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 03-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #43
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
define a "few" years. Cause when I hear a few, I think 3-4 and if you think they're going to blow this team up in 4 years, that might be your worst take ever.

Outside of Giordano and probably Backlund, in 4 years, there won't be a bunch of old past their prime players. Not to mention, a lot can happen in 4 years. This team could turn it around next season with a new coach. Look how things have changed so quickly for teams this year, good and/or bad. So much can change and so fast. The Preds were a 8 seed, made a run to finals and now are a cup contender in a 12 month span.

I just think it's ridiculously presumptuous to think a rebuild is coming soon, especially when the core of this team is still pretty damn young.

This isn't the 09-11 Flames teams with aging veterans past their prime.
I disagree and first of all I never said the words "blow it up", you did. They will have very little to show for the upcoming draft and and are missing picks from the 2019 draft as well which will set the developmental depth back. Brodie, Hamonic, and Stone are all UFA in two years and while you may think that replacements are in the pipeline when has this organization ever shown it has the patience to develop their defensemen outside of Brody? Gaudreau is only a Flame realistically for three more seasons as he may have to be traded before the last year of his deal unless they are fine with losing him for nothing in free agency. This team is going to look a lot different in three years.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-18-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #44
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

The fact of the matter is that at the moment we are scratching and clawing for our playoff lives. But we didnt have to be. We have pissed away a ton of points.

I can probably think of at least a half dozen games we could have won and now be in a comfortable playoff spot. Even if I leave the Oilers off the table.

And yet here we are.
I can also think of at least as many games that we won where we had no business winning, except Smith bailed us out and stole them. This team would be in the bottom 5 if it weren't for him. The coaching issues are obvious but I think a lot of people (not saying you, just in general) overestimate this roster's potential.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #45
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I just crawled out of bed and I'm making my way to the arena, CRAZY amount of flames fans here. This is going to be like a home game!!
OH, GREAT!!!

Last edited by Rejean31; 03-18-2018 at 01:20 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rejean31 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #46
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
I can also think of at least as many games that we won where we had no business winning, except Smith bailed us out and stole them. This team would be in the bottom 5 if it weren't for him. The coaching issues are obvious but I think a lot of people (not saying you, just in general) overestimate this roster's potential.
This just isn't true.

Not to disparage Smith at all, he had a great season, finally providing Calgary with a real starting goaltender.

But he was ranked 18th in save percentage for starters, and the team was ranked 18th overall in save percentage.

The team couldn't score enough goals to win games, but Smith wasn't the runaway MVP either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #47
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
CRAZY amount of flames fans here. This is going to be like a home game!!
Christ, I hope not. You guys all need to keep quiet and let the Vegas fans take centre stage. We need road Flames, not home Flames.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This just isn't true.

Not to disparage Smith at all, he had a great season, finally providing Calgary with a real starting goaltender.

But he was ranked 18th in save percentage for starters, and the team was ranked 18th overall in save percentage.

The team couldn't score enough goals to win games, but Smith wasn't the runaway MVP either.
I recall the Flames giving up a lot of high percentage scoring chances especially in the first few months of the season that didn't help his numbers and since that 6 game winning streak ended whether it be fatigue or injuries there's no doubt his game started to drop off but he really did hold this team in a lot of games to get them to a point where they were in a playoff spot with their fate in their hands. This team hasn't played well defensively all season and it's hard to imagine any goaltender putting up top 5 numbers on this team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #49
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I recall the Flames giving up a lot of high percentage scoring chances especially in the first few months of the season that didn't help his numbers and since that 6 game winning streak ended whether it be fatigue or injuries there's no doubt his game started to drop off but he really did hold this team in a lot of games to get them to a point where they were in a playoff spot with their fate in their hands. This team hasn't played well defensively all season and it's hard to imagine any goaltender putting up top 5 numbers on this team.
As I said he's solid

But the carrying the team all season and they would have been bottom five narrative just isn't true.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #50
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Centre Ice channels for:
Sunday, March 18
Calgary at Las Vegas, 1400h/2:00pm Mountain
Flames feed in red

Game is on Sportsnet One and Sportsnet (but not the West channel), therefore it is not on Centre Ice.

USA
Indemand - Game 4 SD Game HD4
Directv - 771 SD 771-1 HD
Dish - 577 SD 9578 HD Hopper channel 475-05

Sirius Radio-- Siri Internet 924
XM Radio-- XM Internet 924
SXM Radio-- SXM Internet 924

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
Old 03-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #51
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Smith has been good, but I feel people are taking Gaudreaus performance for granted when talking about the teams MVP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #52
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

A month without Mike Smith tells you exactly who the team MVP is. Gaudreau's having a fantastic season as well, it's really close.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #53
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Hoping for a win but have checked out for the season. Won't be watching any games now unless the flames string together some wins, including some at home.
Well that will make reading the PGT more pleasant
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #54
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
This just isn't true.

How about the distribution, out of curiosity?

We just saw 6 goals on 20 shots. A few bad outings can possibly skew the numbers.

* Also I am a firm believer that the team in front contributes mightily to save percentage. It only makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #55
Fredrik
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally a game I, as a european, can watch without loosing too much sleep ...
Old 03-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Yeah Smith has been good, but I feel people are taking Gaudreaus performance for granted when talking about the teams MVP.
Hard to ignore though that the team declined steeply since Smith started breaking down and missed all that time. I think given the circumstances Gillies and Rittich did quite well but you could see this was not the same team. On the flip side the times Gaudreau went cold the team also really struggled. It's probably a close race between the two IMO.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #57
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
How about the distribution, out of curiosity?

We just saw 6 goals on 20 shots. A few bad outings can possibly skew the numbers.

* Also I am a firm believer that the team in front contributes mightily to save percentage. It only makes sense.
Well every goalie has bad outings, its a long season.

The Flames gave up the 18th most high danger scoring chances this season, so they actually rank higher in chance against counts than they do in save percentage.

I like Smith, but this narrative just isn't supported.

He was lights out on the road, and struggled on home ice, and with that his numbers are middling.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #58
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
8-2-0 needed to hit 96 points.

Or 7-1-2
That’s not so bad. Seasons far from over, we’ve seen our boys win 7 straight before.
If nothing else, we’ve had a full season of hockey, where every game right until the end will have mattered. Which is more than can be said about some of the other western Canadian teams.
GFG, make it count.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #59
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hard to ignore though that the team declined steeply since Smith started breaking down and missed all that time. I think given the circumstances Gillies and Rittich did quite well but you could see this was not the same team. On the flip side the times Gaudreau went cold the team also really struggled. It's probably a close race between the two IMO.
Team save percentage tanked. That cost them a LOT of points. It went from above .915 when Smith was healthy to below .900. You aren't going to win a lot of games with that kind of goaltending. They only started to win again when Rittich regained his form, and even then they were playing a tight shutdown defensive game in order to win.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #60
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well every goalie has bad outings, its a long season.

The Flames gave up the 18th most high danger scoring chances this season, so they actually rank higher in chance against counts than they do in save percentage.

I like Smith, but this narrative just isn't supported.

He was lights out on the road, and struggled on home ice, and with that his numbers are middling.
Sometimes, you have to pull away from the math book and watch the games. This is why I hate advanced stats. Mike smith makes saves that turns momentum in games, you can see with your own eyes. And even if he did't "steal" a lot of games, he certainly has done a remarkable job keeping the team in games.

Can you honestly say that the team has saved mike smith more than smith has saved the team?

Just from a pure eyeball perspective, The problem hasn't been smith, and desprite gaudreaus remarkable season, team scoring has let this team down far more.

so Smith MVP.
Closed Thread