Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #81
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bottlescrew Bill's and the Bear and Kilt were my usual spots back when I lived and worked in that area. Around the World in 80 beers was great, I always like to go find the plaque where my name is when I'm back to visit. Do they still have the Lanny statue outside?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #82
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to The Ship last night. I can't say I understand the hype. I didn't hate it like some here, but I didn't find much to like there either. House draft Pilzner was bad, like Saddledome-quality bad. Anyone who had a chance to try real draft Pilzner in Prague bars would laugh at whatever they call Pilzner at The Ship. Draft Guinness was OK. Food was just OK, nothing special. Our table was quite shaky, needed to put a bunch of coasters underneath to support it. It's a low-end pub; nothing more. I could see my impression being different (better) when the patio is open though. Will go try Palomino next.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #83
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Brigg's on 10th Ave is quite good.
you must also serve on the NHL Hall of fame/guys who were pretty good at hockey Committee.

The OP is looking for the Best Pub - not a list of pubs that are quite good or just ok.

may as well throw in a plug for brewsters in McKenzie towne - I know it is not in the beltline, but they have a great patio - although it is probably not open today

Last edited by Northendzone; 03-15-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #84
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When I lived in Calgary, my go to spots were Last Best Brewery, Local on 8th, the three Nationals (8th Ave for rooftop patio during summer) and Wurst (yes not in the Beltline technically, but a fantastic place). Also any original joes is decent, but maybe unimpressive.

The Ship is a hole. I'm not sure what the hype is about.

Yes I know some of these places are technically beer halls or breweries, but come on. Any place with a great atmosphere and decent selection of beer should be talked about here.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #85
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ship is popular because:

* For the longest time it was one of the few places in the area that had a good selection of craft and imported beer on tap.

* It has good service, owing to the fact the staff are paid well, get benefits, etc. You don't see too many places these days where the bar managers, let alone the servers and bartenders, have been around for 5+ years.

* It's big and sprawling enough that you can go to listen to live music, or just chill in the alcoves on the other side, depending on your mood. It feels like a small bar, but it's big enough that you're liable to run into people you know on a busy afternoon.

* The patio is probably the best place in the city for people-watching.

* It's pretty lively at a time of the day when many other pubs are dead.

* It's longevity and the fact it's never really been tied to a particular scene or demographic means you'll find 19 year old students, 32 year old hipsters, and 49 year old former hipsters all mingling together. Not many other bars where that's true.

I can see how it may seem like nothing special compared with a lot of new places on the scene that offer the same kind of vibe. But there's a reason it's stayed busy and kept attracting new generations for 30 years now.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #86
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd venture that if you went to any old little town pub in England, it would more resemble the "hole" that is the Ship versus a National or Local etc. For me, you can't beat the vibe there. I've had more random conversations at the Ship than any other watering hole I've been to in the city.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #87
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I'd venture that if you went to any old little town pub in England, it would more resemble the "hole" that is the Ship versus a National or Local etc. For me, you can't beat the vibe there. I've had more random conversations at the Ship than any other watering hole I've been to in the city.
I get what you're saying and I kinda agree but only in part. I've been to little old town pubs in Scotland and England and they do LOOK similar to The Ship. But the vibe over there comes from the whole village being at the bar - old, young, middle-age mixing together and knowing each other well. We don't have that vibe in Calgary at all - in any pub, unfortunately. But then again, Calgary is not a little village.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #88
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The Ship was also good when we moved to the city many years ago when spending the holidays here, while family was in another province. Lots of folks were out for what we called Shipmas!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #89
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you (or any CP’r) decide you want to come down to Craft on Sat evening(s), come bug me at the Dj Booth and I’ll get ya a few libations.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #90
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The Ship was also good when we moved to the city many years ago when spending the holidays here, while family was in another province. Lots of folks were out for what we called Shipmas!
The Christmas jam the Saturday before Christmas at the Ship is a great tradition. It really does feel like a big house party.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote