Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #41
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
Chronic underachievers when it counts - just like the Stampeders. Must be something in the drinking water.
But... but... we took the fluoride out of the water!
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #42
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I started following the Flames during the '04 run having just moved to the city. Since then the only time I've felt good about the team after a season was beating the Canucks in the playoffs. Every other year has been disappointment and doesn't look to be changing anytime soon

I just don't care anymore. The Flames continued mediocrity coupled with dickish ownership and the arena debacle have sapped away any joy I had from watching hockey
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #43
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post
At the very least, I can proudly say that I have watched my favourite team win a Stanley Cup.
You can. Many of us were infants or not even born in 1989.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 12:10 AM   #44
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You can. Many of us were infants or not even born in 1989.
I was 5, and am tired of fooling myself to feel like I was part of it just because I was alive.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 02:42 AM   #45
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

This thread is depressing
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #46
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
The Jay Feaster era was just as embarrassing, albeit for slightly different reasons and not for quite as long.
If Garth Snow drafts 1st overall it will be embarrassing. But it will be better if he wears a Flames pin on his suit while making the pick.

Travis Hamonic, our Tom Kurvers.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #47
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Franchises in the NHL - Where do the Flames Rank Over Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I started following the Flames during the '04 run having just moved to the city. Since then the only time I've felt good about the team after a season was beating the Canucks in the playoffs. Every other year has been disappointment and doesn't look to be changing anytime soon

I just don't care anymore. The Flames continued mediocrity coupled with dickish ownership and the arena debacle have sapped away any joy I had from watching hockey

My feelings exactly. I continue to browse CP for the Off Topic forum and find myself spending less and less time actually following the team. I might start watching again once the Flames get their head out of their ass and actually play some decent hockey, and ownership stops treating the public with such contempt. But it seems unlikely either of those things happen before the team relocates so I’ve really just given up caring.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 03-03-2018 at 08:57 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #48
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you were lucky to watch the Flames in the 80s they were a good team, always in the playoffs had a handful of first round wins, President Cup champs twice, two Stanley Cup appearances, one championship. If you compare that to New Jersey Devils of the 80's that was the standard of what joke of a franchise was. Now that its 2018 and I look at the Flames from 1980-2018 and compare them to the Devils from 1982-2018. Well....we suck.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #49
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

it is seriously bad when there are only 4 playoff round victories in 30 years - and 3 of those were in 2004. And had Smyl managed to pot one past Vernie in that game 7 OT, the Flames would most definitely be sitting near the bottom of the pile. if you weren't a flames fan you wouldn't spend much time thinking about this franchise - if any. The team is a terrible draw in many NHL cities.

i'll always be a fan - but long ago checked my expectations at the door. The young guns era just about extinguished the fan in me - but that was largely because of high expectations from following the team in the 1980s and early 1990s. Iginla and Kiprusoff were worth the price of admission for many years.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote