Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #861
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Some fans need to take a step back and relax. They expect the team to go from 77 points to cup contender in 4 years. I don't think the Hamonic trade necessarily signaled that Treliving thought we were a contender but more so was a move to help try and push the team forward while we still have our core together. He had 3 years on his deal at a low cap hit so I'm sure he saw the move as something that helped immediately and helped as the team grew together. If we miss this year whoever the Islanders pick likely isn't going to be an immediate help, maybe not for a while, and maybe never. The window didn't close this year I feel like it just started to open.

The team is still set up to be good moving forward. Gulutzan and his staff are likely gone. Stajan gone. Brouwer good chance bought out. We should have guys like Valimaki, Andersson, Dube, Mangiapane, etc all trying to make the team. Hopefully guys like Tkachuk, Jankowski, Bennett, etc are able to take a step forward. I'm sure Treliving will try and make a trade for some scoring depth. A top 6 winger is likely top of his list. With some injected youth and maybe a signing in the bottom 6 that should help the depth. Obviously not everything will pan out but I still see optimism with this team. A mid first round pick likely isn't going to decide the fate of this organization moving forward.
I agree with you but we still need to see GG and his staff fired, Stajan not re-signed, Brouwer bought out, and a decent UFA signing/trade or 2. Then I'll relax.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #862
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke holding a season ending press conference introducing Maloney and Tippett as GM and coach wouldn’t bother me at this point.

I am not privy to Treliving’s plan for this team so not really fair for me to call for his firing, but no team in this situation should be trading away high value draft picks the way he has.

Hard to deny he has had some big misses. Maybe a different coach squeezes some more points out of this team while the core is still locked up but really thought the goal was to build a winning organization that can compete for championships.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #863
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Firing BT would be making the same mistake the Flames always make by canning GMs too early

Didn’t Thomas Edison once say the definition of crazy is making the same mistakes without learning from them. Pretty sure that’s accurate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #864
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trelivings biggest mistake was hiring Gulutzan. Gulutzan is gone. That has to happen. There could be some really good coaches available this off season. Get one of them. Tre deserves more time, but his next coach has to be a known commodity, a winner!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #865
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
No ones freaking out, but our current position in the standings would give us an 8.8% chance of a top 3 pick. That's not nothing either.
Still a 91.2% chance they won't have a top 3 pick.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #866
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Firing BT would be making the same mistake the Flames always make by canning GMs too early

Didn’t Thomas Edison once say the definition of crazy is making the same mistakes without learning from them. Pretty sure that’s accurate
Depends how you define the same.

They have never fired a coach or GM with the same body of work as another.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #867
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Here's the heat that Brad is going to feel

"Brad, you're going to fix this fracking mess"

"and I am going to watch this Battlestar Galactica DVD set"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #868
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
Trelivings biggest mistake was hiring Gulutzan. Gulutzan is gone. That has to happen. There could be some really good coaches available this off season. Get one of them. Tre deserves more time, but his next coach has to be a known commodity, a winner!
Treliving hasn't addressed the lack of team speed. That is a big issue for me. He has to make the team faster, younger and more skilled.

He is too in love with intangibles. I like Hamonic, I'm glad he's on the team but Treliving paid the same price you pay for offence on guy who's good in his end and brings intangibles. That's a problem - the value he puts on traits not related to speed and skill.

That needs to change or this team will get run out of rinks on the regular.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #869
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hamonic trade and the GG hire should place deserved heat on Treliving. Couldn’t envision a worse season outside our pick hitting the lottery. Tkachuk, Gaudreau, and Gio are the only reasons to watch this team.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #870
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You’re saying the mistake the Flames organization continually makes is firing their GM? Isn’t that the result of hiring the wrong person, or worse yet an organizational emphasis that is misguided?

Or maybe they should have just kept Feaster.

Anyway I think it was Alexander Graham Bell who said the definition of insanity was continuing to go down the wrong path because you hadn’t yet found the right path.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #871
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

By that logic, it makes zero sense to fire gully too.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #872
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no basis for this belief, but I think Burke had a lot of pull in the acquisition of Brouwer. Just never seemed like a Treliving move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #873
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I have no basis for this belief, but I think Burke had a lot of pull in the acquisition of Brouwer. Just never seemed like a Treliving move.
Brouwer was the best available RHS RW on the UFA list that year. Which was a bad UFA year. I don't think it had much to do with Burkies Truculuence theory at all. Flames had Frolik and that was it on RW. and the message was get a RHS. they did, it was Brouwer, it has been largely unsuccsessful.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #874
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Brouwer was the best available RHS RW on the UFA list that year. Which was a bad UFA year. I don't think it had much to do with Burkies Truculuence theory at all. Flames had Frolik and that was it on RW. and the message was get a RHS. they did, it was Brouwer, it has been largely unsuccsessful.
Brouwer's underlying numbers had been declining for several seasons prior to the signing. It's just hard to believe Treliving would make such a mistake that was so obvious to many others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #875
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Brouwer's underlying numbers had been declining for several seasons prior to the signing. It's just hard to believe Treliving would make such a mistake that was so obvious to many others.
Hamonic had a bad year last season, and he traded a first and two seconds for him. Just saying...
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #876
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Brouwer was the best available RHS RW on the UFA list that year. Which was a bad UFA year.
David Backes
Kyle Okposo
Jonathan Marchessault

all UFAs.
all available.

let's not revise history. Brouwer was the most mediocre option available, and that was if he were signed at an expected 2.5M AAV. More proven than Marchessault who was a good player buried on a great team, and less ambitious than he other two who had actually established themselves as true top 6 guys.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 03-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #877
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Hamonic had a bad year last season, and he traded a first and two seconds for him. Just saying...
was surprised at the price paid, Hamonic asked for a trade, BT should've been trading from a position of strength.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barca For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #878
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
was surprised at the price paid, Hamonic asked for a trade, BT should've been trading from a position of strength.
He asked for a trade to a team in Western Canada, IIRC.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #879
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He asked for a trade to a team in Western Canada, IIRC.
Yeah, there are no other foolhardy spenders needing D in Western Canada.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #880
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Burke holding a season ending press conference introducing Maloney and Tippett as GM and coach wouldn’t bother me at this point.

I am not privy to Treliving’s plan for this team so not really fair for me to call for his firing, but no team in this situation should be trading away high value draft picks the way he has.
Please anyone but coaches from coyotes... As if the team isn't already boring enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread