Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #241
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I think I read an interview suggesting that Iggy wasn't going to sign for less than $2m (ie would rather retire). Also has to make sense for his family
He may get 2 mil in a bonus laden contract. I can see 1 mil base salary with 500k bonus if hitting 20 goals and an additional 500k bonus hitting 20 assists.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 01:29 AM   #242
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel kinda bad for laughing so hard at this

Old 07-06-2017, 07:24 AM   #243
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's July 6
Old 07-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #244
Jonrox
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have no problem with Iggy going to Edmonton. During most of the years he spent in Calgary the "Battle of Alberta" was almost non-existent.

Although there were flashes of it at times over the last 10 or 15 years, this "Battle" was borne by the fans, not the players. There were long stretches where one, if not both, of the teams royally sucked and the games were meaningless and played with almost no passion.

You can hate on Edmonton for nostalgic reasons, but there was very little actual hate between the two teams for most of the last decade (at least). Rivalries aren't born through regular season games and these two teams haven't faced each other in a meaningful series in a long, long time.

So for me the "Battle of Alberta" died a long time ago and if Iggy thinks Edmonton gives him the best shot at a Cup, I'm all for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonrox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #245
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonrox View Post
I have no problem with Iggy going to Edmonton. During most of the years he spent in Calgary the "Battle of Alberta" was almost non-existent.

Although there were flashes of it at times over the last 10 or 15 years, this "Battle" was borne by the fans, not the players. There were long stretches where one, if not both, of the teams royally sucked and the games were meaningless and played with almost no passion.

You can hate on Edmonton for nostalgic reasons, but there was very little actual hate between the two teams for most of the last decade (at least). Rivalries aren't born through regular season games and these two teams haven't faced each other in a meaningful series in a long, long time.

So for me the "Battle of Alberta" died a long time ago and if Iggy thinks Edmonton gives him the best shot at a Cup, I'm all for it.
That is your take. For me you never take a big crap on your legacy by signing with the enemy. Anywhere else is fine.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #246
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We should bring back Alex Tangauy too.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:23 AM   #247
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Imagine the Oilers winning the Cup. Connor McDavid passed the Stanley Cup to Iginla. Jarome raises the Cup and skates around the ice wearing an Oilers jersey.

Pictures and video of this event will forever be part of hockey history. You will see it in playoff montage videos for decades. The Oilers could include the pictures and videos in their marketing material. Battle of Alberta stuff there. Stanley Cup winner Edmonton Oiler Jarome Iginla.
Fffff that stht !
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #248
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess Iginla will retire...

Teams are getting younger and faster.....

Players like Doan and Iginla will have a really tough time getting a contract.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #249
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
My guess Iginla will retire...

Teams are getting younger and faster.....

Players like Doan and Iginla will have a really tough time getting a contract.
I bet you they have offers at league minimum or close to that and I just don't see Doan or Iginla playing for that.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #250
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I bet you they have offers at league minimum or close to that and I just don't see Doan or Iginla playing for that.
A player like Doan might have to agree to a PTO.

Not sure why, he would want to follow that route.

He had a tough season....
Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #251
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
A player like Doan might have to agree to a PTO.

Not sure why, he would want to follow that route.

He had a tough season....
Very true.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #252
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy and Jagr have something in the tank IMO. Doan has been finished for a couple years now.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #253
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Iggy and Jagr have something in the tank IMO. Doan has been finished for a couple years now.
Shane Doan scored 28 goals just before this season. Not bad for being finished.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #254
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
What was his pace without Monahan and Gaudreau? He had 25 points on the season, even though he spent considerable time on the top line. You can't focus on one aspect of a sample size, while ignoring the rest. Ferland may have scored at a strong pace while playing with them, but who's to say that Frolik, Tkachuk, or even Jagr couldn't do the same? At least Frolik and Tkachuk don't have to be on the top line to produce. Yes, he's a late bloomer in the sense that he started playing hockey later in life. But I don't really see how he's a late bloomer in any other way. Overall, his progression has been slow and steady. Everything else you said is purely baseless speculation. He hasn't had 30 points at any level since the 11-12 season in the WHL (which was a breakout season, making him not a late bloomer).

Yes, he has another level to his game. We have seen it during the 14-15 playoffs. But consistency has been a huge issue in the years since. That level of play, as reckless as it is, is simply not sustainable. Do you think Tkachuk would let anyone slash Gaudreau more than Ferland would? The NHL is also apparently going to crack down on the slashing. Not to mention, Tkachuk had as many points in one season as Ferland has had in his entire career. Tkachuk quite simply makes a lot more sense. Tremendously more offensive upside, while still providing the grit.

As for Jankowski and Stajan, I can't really say why. It's just how the organization usually operates. I'm not saying I agree, it's just what I predict.
Can't forget his battles with substance abuse. He is not far removed from that.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #255
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla and Doan have had identical stats the last two seasons, and Doan has the better underlying/advanced stats.

Not sure why he is done if Iginla still has anything left in the tank.

The crazy part is 45 year old Jagr has been better than both of them the last two years. Actually has been better than Marleau too - crazy that he is still unsigned IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #256
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Shane Doan scored 28 goals just before this season. Not bad for being finished.
Sure, however he only scored 6 goals in 74 games last season.

That has to be a red flag for lots of teams...

Is this an off season or simply a player reaching the end of his career....
Old 07-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #257
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Imagine the Oilers winning the Cup. Connor McDavid passed the Stanley Cup to Iginla. Jarome raises the Cup and skates around the ice wearing an Oilers jersey.

Pictures and video of this event will forever be part of hockey history. You will see it in playoff montage videos for decades. The Oilers could include the pictures and videos in their marketing material. Battle of Alberta stuff there. Stanley Cup winner Edmonton Oiler Jarome Iginla.
Fffff that stht !
You just described one of my worst nightmares.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #258
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Fffff that stht !
That's an unpleasant thought, but no more unpleasant because of Iginla IMO.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:42 AM   #259
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Fffff that stht !
Lol the nightmare here is oilers lifting another cup. I hope McDavid never lifts the cup until he leaves Edmonton willingly.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2017, 02:47 AM   #260
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sentimentally I kinda want to see him here, but there's no room for sentimentality when running a hockey team.

Unless a space opens up on the roster for a veteran bottom 6 RW then there really isn't a role on this team for Iggy. I'd rather have Iggy on the team than Brouwer, based on last season's form, but I'm afraid we're stuck Brouwer, barring a miracle. Brouwer could also turn it all around and become a uselful player for us. Stranger things have happened.

I'd like to see Lazar and Jankowski on the team, but adding someone like Iggy lessens the chances of that happening.
Closed Thread