Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #101
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Move to Houston already...
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #102
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kucherov scores!!! Need to make sure he wins the Art Ross over McDavid. Nice Russian kid that Nikita Kucherov he is
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #103
rustycana
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought the Flames 10 Greatest Games on DVD at the flea market this morning for a few bucks. I can watch these games for the remainder of the season. Way more entertaining than this garbage.
rustycana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #104
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

First period fine. But that’s it. Flames can get past one adverse situation, but not the second or third.

Thing is, rhetorical question, what’s different then last year...the players abilities didn’t change over last year, we got good defence, goaltending and a better season from JG than last.
The addition of Hamonic and Smith didn’t make this team worse over a playoff team last year?

So why such a down year? Beaten to death, but the players are no longer responding to whatever motivational techniques the coaching staff is continuing to roll out to get them reset after a bad play. Or to push them to the next level in game to put teams away earlier in the year, or, translate a out shooting and out chancing game into wins, not losses.

The Vegas disaster at home last month was really the end. And the Isles game, 2 seconds away from a healthy Smith, which would’ve likely meant not losing the next 4 games. Of course the dominant games in Dec and Jan that ended as losses can also be pointed to.

Last edited by browna; 03-18-2018 at 05:17 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #105
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
When does the system® kick in.
Soon™
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #106
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
I see team heart and toughness issues that coaching changes won't solve. Need a full roster overhaul IMO.
Agree on the team toughness issue, especially mentally.

We definitely need an overhaul of the bottom 6 for sure, and obviously some added scoring help for the top two lines. The core (Johnny, Mony, Tkachuk, Gio, Hamilton, Backlund) aren't going anywhere.

Goaltending is fine. I don't blame Smith at all for today's game, as his team left him completely out to dry. And Rittich has proven to be a solid back up. Smith had a tough game against the Sharks, but I'm thinking they may have rushed him back too early.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #107
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a team like this. Something is just so confusing about them. I can’t wrap my head around it
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #108
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #109
cofias
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
didnt watch this particular game but saw the "highlights". Anyone who thinks the Hamonic trade was a solid move, i dont see it. I realize players have bad games but it seems like a lot of his games are not that great... seems like a great guy but that doesnt win games. he isnt alone but this team needs draft picks not an underperforming d man.
Agreed, it was an awful trade. It's not like he's taken a dive this season either, he was never an impact player.
cofias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cofias For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #110
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The 41 shots are a red herring. So many shots were of the routine variety, Fleury just in his butterfly sucking up the shots.

This offence is not one of bad luck with bad shooting%. For me shooting% is not really how accurate the shot is but where the shot is coming from. If you're in the middle of the ice that's a high percentage shot and players who get chances from there will have better shooting%

CGY offense is very low % - even shots they register in the high danger spots are largely contested and not the same quality of others who convert their high danger chances.

It's the pace of play and transition where CGY is getting killed. This is an easy to defend hockey team.

Treliving needs to address the speed and skill issues. Yesterday. I want that fast, dynamic team we thought was coming with the Gaudreau era.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #111
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Why anyone would want playoffs this year is beyond me. We need to fix the foundation before we can build the house
Because playoffs is better than no playoffs?

There is zero reason to not want the Flames to make the playoffs because of no first round pick.

Unless you think Gulutzan could save his job if they make it. That's the only reason I see.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #112
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Agree on the team toughness issue, especially mentally.

We definitely need an overhaul of the bottom 6 for sure, and obviously some added scoring help for the top two lines. The core (Johnny, Mony, Tkachuk, Gio, Hamilton, Backlund) aren't going anywhere.

Goaltending is fine. I don't blame Smith at all for today's game, as his team left him completely out to dry. And Rittich has proven to be a solid back up. Smith had a tough game against the Sharks, but I'm thinking they may have rushed him back too early.
isnt that Glass and Stewarts job?
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #113
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Biggest priorities this summer:

-Get some scoring help up front. If this means trading Brodie, then so be it.
-Complete overhaul of the coaching staff and systems, especially the PP.
Would be nice if we could package up Brodie and whatever else for the #2 draft pick this year and draft the big Russian center Andrei Svechnikov. Svechnikov and Johnny Gaudreau playing
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #114
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a team like this. Something is just so confusing about them. I can’t wrap my head around it
I don't feel it's that confusing. We play for stats, hence people thinking we're unlucky and close to turning it around.

The best teams for check relentlessly, cause turnovers and get true high danger chances and make teams pay on a high rate of them. We go back and start a defined rush when we get the puck to stay within a rigid system.

"Stay in the system, trust the system, the system will reward". Hockey is too dynamic and quick for that mentality. This isn't baseball.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #115
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was at the game today. Great turnout by Flames fans. Great meeting a lot of new faces in red jerseys! Brodie looked like garbage today. Team is mentally weak as wet soiled toilet paper. After 3-0 I just started drinking heavily to numb the pain. On the bright side I placed a nice wager on Vegas to win before the game. Bittersweet.

Last edited by Angelino; 03-18-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Angelino For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #116
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
isnt that Glass and Stewarts job?
He's talking toughness that can actually play at an NHL level though. Stewart is AHL caliber at this point in his career and Glass is fringe AHLer skill now.

We could use someone with bite that can actually play, like an Engelland. No I'm not saying oh we should have never let Engelland go, he's 35 so it was a reasonable decision to, but we certainly could use more skilled nastiness.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetfire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #117
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
The team is not good enough this year. Too many not good enough players on this team.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #118
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Because playoffs is better than no playoffs?

There is zero reason to not want the Flames to make the playoffs because of no first round pick.

Unless you think Gulutzan could save his job if they make it. That's the only reason I see.
No. I’m saying that this team as assembled and coached, would be easy fodder for almost any team.

Plus, playoffs may give management and players the belief that it was just a rough spell, and small tweaks are all that’s needed.

I want the playoffs as much as any fan. But I actually really want a Stanley cup. This team has 0 shot of that right now.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #119
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
Move to Houston already...
Feel free to set up a message board for them and go away.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #120
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who wanted to keep score, since deadline

E. Kane 5G 5A 10p 8pim +5
C. Stewart -2
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post: