Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default All Toys R Us American Stores are Closing

After it closes, everybody will have no choice to grow up, whether they want to or not...

This is rather sad story. A few years ago Bain/KK Capital got the company to buy back all its shares and Toys R Us got saddled with a huge amount of debt as well as millions in monthly financial payments and management fees, sucking money out of TRU and into the hands of the financiers. Originally, the US stores were hoping to find a buyer but it looks like it's not happening. All 75 UK stores are also closing:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle38285596/

In a twist of fate, the Canadian operation has always been very stable, only suffering financial problems due to the American arm taking out multiple loans from the Canadian operations. The Canadian TRU may be the only survivor. I know I will be sad to see them go. I've been going to the same two Calgary stores for 3 decades. It's the only thing left from my childhood!

https://globalnews.ca/news/4083991/b...s-r-us-canada/
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if FAO Schwarz will move back in to the Manhattan location. I seem to recall the rent was too high for them, but who knows now.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

read an article on CNN that said the closure is their own fault and had very little to do with Amazon and online sales.
like H&L said, they spend so much money servicing debt that they neglected stores and paid their staff poorly.

really too bad, but to be honest, other than getting a few items at babies r' us when preparing for my child, I never shopped there.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/15/news...ame/index.html

Even Toys "R" Us CEO David Brandon conceded in an SEC filing last fall that the company had fallen behind competitors "on various fronts, including with regard to general upkeep and the condition of our stores."

much of the chain's resources were devoted to paying off massive debt load rather than staying competitive. When Toys "R" Us filed for bankruptcy in September 2017, it disclosed it had about $5 billion in debt and was spending about $400 million a year just to service that debt.
That burden crowded out critical strategic priorities, like making its stores a nice place to shop and paying employees

Despite sharply declining sales, Toys "R" Us was also extremely late to the game in closing stores. At the time of its bankruptcy filing, the chain had 1,697 stores -- more than it had ever had.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Could someone buy the stores/trademark etc in the bankruptcy proceedings or is this it for them?

Very sad, TrU has alot of self branded toys so if the US parent goes under I cant see it being along time before Canada goes under and Mastermind or some other store grows in it place.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

parents: "If the R is backwards, it means Toys R Us is closed. Maybe next time."
Old 03-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I don't wanna grow up, cause I'm a Toys'R'Us kid...."
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Amazing, we went to one last November and it was packed. Never would have seen this. Guess that’s what bad management does.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The kid in me is sad to see them go, although I much prefer Mastermind or Castle Toys for my kids toys these days. Although in general toy stores don’t feel quite as special these days... lots of the same toys and a little too much low-grade Chinese junk now.

The Times Square Toys R Us was pretty insane back in the day. FAO Schwartz (they toy store from Big) was even better.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:42 AM   #9
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/toys...nada-1.4577484

A California toymaker that owns the Bratz, Little Tikes and Num Nums brands is trying to buy all 82 Canadian locations of Toys "R" Us while the retailer's U.S. operations are in the process of liquidating.

Toys "R" Us Canada "operates autonomously from U.S. operations, and continues to be a stable and profitable market leader in Canada," the toy-seller said in a release, adding that the Canadian stores have enough cash to continue funding themselves "without disruption."
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #10
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

So does Geoffrey go to a zoo, is he released the in the wild or is he out down?