Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #81
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Has anyone seen a site that will be streaming live video?
Here's the link to Engadget's live coverage, though I don't think it will include streaming video. It's usually just a live blog with text and pictures.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/l...reation-event/
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #82
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'll be watching Twit Live with the Macbreak people (http://live.twit.tv/) unless I can find a live stream, but I don't think they are offering one.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #83
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leo mentioned apple doesnt allow live streaming of their events, they will be doing a live blog ala endgadget but thats it.

Its 9 hours of MacBreak coverage tomorrow, Apple better announce something
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #84
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

What do you think the battery life will be like on this thing? I know they always claim it will last X amount under "regular use", and to get anywhere close to that I need to have the brightness to 0 and use only one program etc. I think for this to be successful it would have to have a huge battery life.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #85
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
What do you think the battery life will be like on this thing? I know they always claim it will last X amount under "regular use", and to get anywhere close to that I need to have the brightness to 0 and use only one program etc. I think for this to be successful it would have to have a huge battery life.
I'm guessing it'll still do alright; the internal hardware isn't going to take much more space than it does in the iphone, so they'll be able to scale up the battery size significantly. The lithium polymer batteries are pretty flexible in how they can design them for the hardware. But you're right, that'll be something they really need to get right.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #86
maverickstruth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

In a CNBC segment, McGraw-Hill CEO says:

Quote:
Yeah, Very exciting. Yes, they'll make their announcement tomorrow on this one. We have worked with Apple for quite a while. And the Tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system and so it will be transferable. So what you are going to be able to do now is we have a consortium of e-books. And we have 95% of all our materials that are in e-book format. So now with the tablet you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is going to be just really terrific.
Sounds like the first real substantial info on the device. Having access to the McGraw-Hill library is absolutely huge for the post-secondary market.

Gizmodo Link
maverickstruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #87
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickstruth View Post
In a CNBC segment, McGraw-Hill CEO says:

Sounds like the first real substantial info on the device. Having access to the McGraw-Hill library is absolutely huge for the post-secondary market.

Gizmodo Link
Yeah, saw that earlier too. I wouldn't mind having this for my textbooks.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #88
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Yeah, saw that earlier too. I wouldn't mind having this for my textbooks.
My problem with what he said is that with the iPhone you can only install what Apple allows you to off the apps store. I want to be able to install what I want, say Microsoft Office, also iPhone OS doesn't have flash.

He did say something like "based off of iPhone OS", so hopefully it allows for things like what I wrote.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #89
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
My problem with what he said is that with the iPhone you can only install what Apple allows you to off the apps store. I want to be able to install what I want, say Microsoft Office, also iPhone OS doesn't have flash.

He did say something like "based off of iPhone OS", so hopefully it allows for things like what I wrote.
I am just guessing because I don't know but I would say that it is a hardware inadequacy problem. Flash just needs more hardware to run itself.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #90
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Global News claims to have a "sneak peek" coming up in a bit. They even showed some brief video footage in the treaser...

Edit: Never mind. In typical local news fashion, it was actually pretty gay. In fact, the "video" was just that random 3D model that was made a couple months back. What a waste of time.

Oh well. All will be known tomorrow.

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-26-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #91
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finding out it only has the power of iPhone OS is somewhat disappointing. Wait and see I guess.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #92
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

You might me misinterpreting the meaning of "based on iPhone OS." I hope so, at least.

Although, it's not like iPhone OS is a slouch.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #93
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I am just guessing because I don't know but I would say that it is a hardware inadequacy problem. Flash just needs more hardware to run itself.
Flash runs fine on phones. Its coming to basically all smart phones except the iPhone (barring an announcement tomorrow) early this year. There are plenty of Adobe's videos around of it running on the Droid, Nexus One, etc, and it already works on some Windows Mobile devices.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #94
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just going to guess this (and it may seem obvious), but when Steve Jobs said this was going to be his most interesting project of his career (more or less his supposed quote), from all accounts it's really starting to look like he's more aimed at saving print media by putting it into digital form while maintaining a book-type look. It really doesn't look all that special anymore right now when it comes to a crazy entertainment machine, or groundbreaking, but more something that in the bigger picture, will help a lot of industries survive (ie: newspapers, magazines, textbooks, etc). I'm sure it'll have media capabilities, but won't compare to a desktop, or laptop, for that matter. I'm just curious now to see the specs and design now.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #95
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All I know is that I'm going to bust a nut tomorrow when the announcement comes out.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #96
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I'm just going to guess this (and it may seem obvious), but when Steve Jobs said this was going to be his most interesting project of his career (more or less his supposed quote)...
Without wanting to be "that guy"... he called it the most important thing he's ever done... not the most interesting. Quite a big difference in meaning.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #97
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dear Internet,

Flash is dead.

Your's truly,

HTML 5, AOL, Apple, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Mozilla, Nokia, Opera
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #98
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Without wanting to be "that guy"... he called it the most important thing he's ever done... not the most interesting. Quite a big difference in meaning.
Is this like Christmas for your? I get the impression that you are going to have a hard time sleeping tonight!

What time does this thing go down...I think its weird that apple doesn't allow streaming of their events, but I just want it to be over already. I'm still not sold on the utility here, but I guess it remains to be seen.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #99
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is this like Christmas for your? I get the impression that you are going to have a hard time sleeping tonight!

What time does this thing go down...I think its weird that apple doesn't allow streaming of their events, but I just want it to be over already. I'm still not sold on the utility here, but I guess it remains to be seen.
I am pretty excited, but not really for the device itself. I just like new stuffs. I'm about 95% sure I won't be buying whatever it ends up being... I'm just eager to see what it's finally going to be.

Having said that, I am mostly interested in the things that people aren't talking about... iPhone 4.0, Mac Pro refresh, i5/7 MBPs... etc etc. There's even been some whispers of a new 10.7 OS X (with the long-rumored "Marble" GUI).
Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #100
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My only prediction is iPhone 4.0 having a screen that can compete with the Droid and Nexus One. I'll be interested to see how high of resolution they go with it.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote