Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Oh, that'll never happen in the NH-

OH FFS ISLANDERS
The sightlines in that arena are so bad you wouldnt even notice.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #22
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Don't you diss honky!
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #23
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

CP fans pitch in and make this happen

Old 04-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #24
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

The one that really bugs me is the ads on the goal posts which they've been ding in the dub for a couple years now. I don't know how it affects shooters but it sure washes out the posts when I'm looking down the ice.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #25
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Not a fan. I think the ice surface should be clean, leave the ads off the ice for me.

Seems like they are going to just milk every penny they can out of the game until it's so corporate looking and expensive to buy tickets that they completely strangle out any new fans accessing the game.
Pro sports started rolling that boulder down the hill years ago. What we're seeing now is the unstoppable decline and desperate moves to milk what they can out of who they have left. There's no "they're going to" with regards to the next generation.

They aren't buying cable packages to watch sports, they're not buying subscriptions services to watch sports, and this is because they weren't spending $70+ for a night out with a decent view of a live sport.

Pro sports chased the dollar with revenue maximization as their only goal and they got what they wanted in the short term, now comes the long term death.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #26
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I even brought up maximizing revenue as a shortsighted goal when discussing the Flames having empty seats. I kept getting simple revenue strategy thrown my way like it was enlightening. "You know if they sell 16000 seats at X instead of 19000 seats at X they're actually making more money".

Yep, they were. No value assigned to teenagers being able to afford to watch from a decent seat or families not having to pay $150+ to bring their kids out that could easily turn into the next generation of fans?

Nope, who cares, just maximize!! Simple business! And they can easily afford it, look at these seats! All they have to do is pay $120 for four, sit too far away to see anything and not buy anything to eat or drink!!!!

Last edited by jayswin; 04-23-2018 at 04:06 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #27
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
We're not far off. The Flames are literally toying with "this tweet brought to you by..." ads now.
Their FB and Insta posts are sponsored too.

One of the last games of the season the goalie pull was brought to us by some company.

Honestly the bombardment of ads is driving me away from watching games quicker than our horrendous season did.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #28
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ugh, I hate this so much. We shouldn't be trying to cram ads into every piece of empty space. Not worth the money gained.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #29
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

"This high sticking penalty is brought to you by Lumber King."

When does this stop? I long for the days when we had none of this crap.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #30
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I even brought up maximizing revenue as a shortsighted goal when discussing the Flames having empty seats. I kept getting simple revenue strategy thrown my way like it was enlightening. "You know if they sell 16000 seats at X instead of 19000 seats at X they're actually making more money".

Yep, they were. No value assigned to teenagers being able to afford to watch from a decent seat or families not having to pay $150+ to bring their kids out that could easily turn into the next generation of fans?

Nope, who cares, just maximize!! Simple business! And they can easily afford it, look at these seats! All they have to do is pay $120 for four, sit too far away to see anything and not buy anything to eat or drink!!!!
Terrific post.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #31
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Something about the NHL in general these days is highly detestable. It has become so obsessive about money and business that the sport itself continues to sort of erode over the long term.

And, there’s virtually no chance that any of these egos running the show have the balls to look at their decisions and really ask the tough questions or look in the mirror about if they’re doing the right thing.

That all sounds dramatic and I don’t mean that strictly in the context of ads on the ice, but the overall bigger picture. The whole thing. Just entirely, strictly, obsessively, greedily, exclusively about money. Nothing else matters. Literally.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #32
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh. I won’t like it at first but I’m sure i’ll get used to it after a few games and won’t care anymore.

Jersey ads are the only thing I don’t think I could forgive. It’s been a year and I still think the NBA jerseys make them look like a 2nd rate league.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #33
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Yeah, they’ll get there with these clowns running the show don’t you worry.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #34
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think most of the NBA jersey ads are actually well done. Small logos like the Goodyear one on the Cavaliers jersey look great. The Harley Davidson patch on the Bucks jersey looks out of place, like putting a blue flag patch on a red jersey.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 AM   #35
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Betty Crocker should place an ad so we can have announcers say "That's the icing on the cake".

I'll show myself out.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cycling76er For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 06:57 AM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL of all sports should be doing more of this IMO. They simply don't get the TV revenue of the other big sports so this makes a lot of sense.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:00 AM   #37
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Oh, that'll never happen in the NH-

OH FFS ISLANDERS
Sitting in that vehicle is probably the best seat in the house.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #38
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally i can't say i like this; however, it is not much different that the electronic ads that are placed on teh back glass for tv advertising.

i'd like to think that the NHL will not go full euro, but that day is coming.

on the flip side, it sometimes looks odd to see footage from old games where there was no rinkboard advertising.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #39
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Oh.
Good point.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #40
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

The Flames priced me out of going to games live years ago when I was single. Now that I'm married and have a kid I couldn't imagine paying $200 or more for a single night out with no guarantee if the game will be entertaining or not. And after raising prices so high as to make live hockey unaffordable, the Flames have the gall to ask us to subsidize their arena that many will never get the chance to see a game at. God I hate this ownership
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: