Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want as the Flames' new coach
Darryl Sutter 232 27.59%
Alain Vigneault 395 46.97%
Barry Trotz 72 8.56%
Bill Peters 31 3.69%
Lindy Ruff 16 1.90%
Dallas Eakins 16 1.90%
Sheldon Keefe 6 0.71%
Dave Tippett 30 3.57%
Someone else... 43 5.11%
Voters: 841. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #41
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
GG is not going anywhere, he will still be our coach next year.
I’m not so sure on that
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #42
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
GG is not going anywhere, he will still be our coach next year.
Surely game 220 is where his elaborate system finally clicks.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #43
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Jesus...pump the brakes a little.

He hasn't been fired, there aren't even rumors of him being fired, yet we are all assuming it's a foregone conclusion.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see him stay on and a new group of assistants brought in to supplement his game plan.

Be mad if you want, but I think this is a legitimate possibility.
Well to be fair apparently the One with the Shellacked Hair was only signed up to this year.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #44
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Well to be fair apparently the One with the Shellacked Hair was only signed up to this year.
Source?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #45
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Source?
There's some stuff on here. I'm too lazy to look and frankly I don't really care.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jesus...pump the brakes a little.

He hasn't been fired, there aren't even rumors of him being fired, yet we are all assuming it's a foregone conclusion.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see him stay on and a new group of assistants brought in to supplement his game plan.

Be mad if you want, but I think this is a legitimate possibility.
I do believe Treliving may want to give him another chance but I feel this would be very, very, very bad for season ticket sales which at the end of the day may be the deciding factor. A lot of season ticket holders I talk to including family members would consider not renewing if this coach is brought back. A lot of people will not want to pay $$$ for another year of this product. It's been decades since I've seen this amount of fan unrest regarding a coach.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #47
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point I would be completely shocked(along with pissed off) if Gulutzan isn't fired this summer. The only thing that I think would save him is if the Flames somehow find a way to get a playoff spot these last ten games and win a round. It's been two years of inconsistent underachieving hockey with a ton of fan backlash over him being coach.

Treliving's job is on the line next season whether he fires him or not but I think his odds are better by bringing in a new coaching staff. I don't see things getting any better by giving Gulutzan another year no matter what roster changes are made. The guy just isn't head coaching material.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #48
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

This thread, and the first line of the first post, are both criminally misleading.

Here I was having hope, looked on Twitter, no talk of the sort.

Hope crushed. Thanks OP.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #49
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lol at the posters thinking Treliving and Burke are going to put their jobs on the line next season by keeping GG for another season. They go out and get a proven coach plain and simple.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #50
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dream scenario is Nashville blows it in the first round and Laviolette becomes available.

But more realistically, I say Tippett
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #51
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

The definition of insanity is (supposedly) doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Sure, let's blame the coach..... Again....

I don't like GG, like at all, but at a certain point the onus has to be on the players. Lately, they have been in the position to win many games.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #52
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
The definition of insanity is (supposedly) doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Sure, let's blame the coach..... Again....

I don't like GG, like at all, but at a certain point the onus has to be on the players. Lately, they have been in the position to win many games.
Pretty much how GG rolls.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #53
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
My dream scenario is Nashville blows it in the first round and Laviolette becomes available.

But more realistically, I say Tippett
I'd be ok with Tippett. Overall, his coaching record over the years is pretty impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_T...ars_(2002–2009)

Quote:
In his first season with the club in 2002–03, Tippett led the Stars to a 46–17–15–4 record, finishing in first place in the Pacific Division with 111 points, which represented a 21-point improvement over the previous year. In the first round of the 2003 playoffs, Dallas eliminated the Edmonton Oilers in six games, before losing in six games to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in the second round.

The Stars point total slipped in the 2003–04 season, as Dallas went 41–26–13–2, earning 97 points and a fifth-place finish in the Western Conference. In the first round of the post-season, the Stars lost in five games to the Colorado Avalanche.

The 2004–05 NHL lockout cancelled the entire season, but when NHL play resumed in 2005–06, Tippett led the Stars to a 53–23–6 record, earning 112 points, the second-highest total in the Conference and a 15-point increase over the last season. Dallas' playoff run ended quickly, however, as they were upset by Colorado in five games in the first round.

Tippett joined an exclusive club during the 2006–07, as he led the Stars to a 50–25–7 record, earning 107 points. He joined Mike Babcock (Detroit), Scotty Bowman (Montreal), Tom Johnson (Boston), Mike Keenan (Philadelphia), Glen Sather (Edmonton) and Fred Shero (Philadelphia) as head coaches who led their teams to back-to-back 50-win seasons. In the 2007 playoffs, the Stars fell to the Vancouver Canucks in seven games in the first round.

In 2007–08, the Stars once again had a great regular season, going 45–30–7, earning 97 points and finishing in fifth place in the Conference. In the 2008 playoffs, Dallas defeated the defending Stanley Cup champion Anaheim Ducks in six games in the first round, followed by another six-game series victory over the San Jose Sharks in the second round. In the Western Conference Finals, the Stars faced the Detroit Red Wings, who ended the Stars' season after winning the series in six games.
Quote:
In his first season with the Coyotes in 2009–10, the team overcame its off-ice troubles to finish with a club-record 50 wins, as they went 50–25–7, earning 107 points, a 28-point improvement over the 2008–09 season and helping the Coyotes to their first playoff berth since the 2001–02 season. Phoenix faced the Detroit Red Wings in the first round of the playoffs. Although the Coyotes had home-ice advantage for the first time since 1985 — when they were still the Winnipeg Jets — it was the Red Wings who came out victorious, defeating the Coyotes in seven games. After the season, Tippett won the Jack Adams Award as NHL Coach of the Year.

In 2010–11, Tippett led the Coyotes to the playoffs once again, as they had a 43–26–13 record, earning 99 points and sixth place in the Western Conference. Phoenix once again faced the Red Wings in the first round, however, and the Red Wings quickly ended the Coyotes' season with a four-game series sweep.

In 2011–12, Tippett led the Coyotes to the Pacific Division title — the franchise's first as an NHL team, and their first of any sort since the Jets won the 1978–79 World Hockey Association (WHA) regular-season title. With a 42–27–13 record and 97 points, they were the third seed in the Western Conference. They defeated the Chicago Blackhawks in six games for the franchise's first playoff series win since 1987. In the Western Conference Semi-finals, they defeated the Nashville Predators in five games, thus notching more playoff series wins than they had in their entire NHL history. Their run ended with a five-game loss to the eventual Stanley Cup champions, the Los Angeles Kings, in the Conference Finals.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #54
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Pretty much how GG rolls.
Agreed, it's frustrating how he can't adapt. I just don't see a big change with a new coach. There are too many massive holes up front IMO
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #55
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This thread, and the first line of the first post, are both criminally misleading.

Here I was having hope, looked on Twitter, no talk of the sort.

Hope crushed. Thanks OP.
I suggest you need to learn how to use twitter then.

search- fire Gulutzan

And there's even a popular hash tag
#FireGulutzan

Even facebook is in on the game.

Pauls Pizza(Airdrie) said:
"If the Flames fire Gulutzan tonight I will give their new coach free pizza for life"

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 03-17-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #56
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
... my choice would be Dave Lowry. Successful at all levels, a proven leader, and a good guy to show these kids how to win. Currently he is an Assistant in LA.
After the 2016 World Juniors, I doubt any team has any interest.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 11:40 PM   #57
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple honest questions, that I'm not certain of.
Does this team, finally spend top dollar on a coach?
Has this team EVER spent top dollar on a coach?

Found this article, which has detailed many top coaches and their salaries. Do the Flames have the appetite to pay, $2m/yr?

https://hockey-graphs.com/2015/11/18...-bench-bosses/
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 11:45 PM   #58
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
After the 2016 World Juniors, I doubt any team has any interest.
Lowered his stock in my book, for sure
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:46 PM   #59
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

In despite of the Flames being mediocre to terrible for the last 10 years GG is still not the answer. I sincerely hope people aren't actually thinking we should keep GG just due to the fact we have had a lot of turnover over the years. A bad coach is a bad coach regardless of if Treliving needs to put more work into this roster or not.

Hopefully we pay up for once for someone like AV or Quenville and then we can go ahead and sit on them for the sake of continuity as some posters seem to be suggesting with GG. GG isn't a coach i'm confident enough in to keep around just for the sake of not learning a new system.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 11:49 PM   #60
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave Cameron
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote