Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #761
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon has 500,000 employees - all over the place. They already have a presence in Boston, it's likely just boosting a local presence. That does not mean Boston is not amongst the favourites for HQ2, but I doubt this has much to do with that decision.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #762
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
That's interesting. If it comes out that the decision was practically made before the bid process even started, can Amazon be legally liable for all the costs put in by the cities bidding?
The whole point of an RFP is for companies, or in this case cities, to take on the risk of spending money in attempt to win work. The RFP also states they are not required to select anyone if they so choose.

Last edited by Weitz; 01-12-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #763
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Amazon has 500,000 employees - all over the place. They already have a presence in Boston, it's likely just boosting a local presence. That does not mean Boston is not amongst the favourites for HQ2, but I doubt this has much to do with that decision.
Not only that but Boston has a very high cost of living, comparatively speaking. Just a quick search on Expatistan, Boston is 10th on COL index, Calgary is 29th, Atlanta is 33rd, and Austin, TX is 36th.

At this point I'm putting my money on Atlanta given all the factors involved, including COL, travel ability, office space (see the "Gulch" development), and workforce requirements. Would be surprised to not see it there at this point.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #764
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I dunno, 500,000 square feet of office space doesn't sound like a lot for a company like Amazon. Sounds to me like this is separate from the HQ2 pursuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
No kidding, 500,000 sq feet of Office Space for 50,000 workers? Seems like it would be a little cramped...
Seriously? From the article:

"Though the second headquarters is ultimately projected to house 50,000 workers in a $5 billion, 8-million square foot campus by 2027, Amazon said the first phase of the project would be to open about 500,000 square feet of space in 2019 in the new city."

Opening the article:

"Amazon is in talks to lease 500,000 square feet of offices in Boston’s Fort Point Channel neighborhood, a hot destination for tech companies, with an option to double the amount of space also being discussed..."

It should be pointed out that Amazon's HQ in Seattle eats up 8.1M square feet across 40+ buildings in the downtown area. They have 40,000+ employees in those spaces, and built that up over years of expansion. Amazon is not going to open a shiny new tower in a new location and drop 50,000 people in it. They have stated they are going to start with 500,000 square feet of office space and expand from there, with expectations of growing to 50,000 and 8M+ square feet of space over the next decade.

Seems this matches up with what Amazon stated they were going to do as far as opening HQ2. And this is office space is in the heart of the tech company community in Boston, and not far from where they opened up their first major office, outside Seattle, in Cambridge.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #765
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

edit: not worth it....
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #766
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Seriously? From the article:

"Though the second headquarters is ultimately projected to house 50,000 workers in a $5 billion, 8-million square foot campus by 2027, Amazon said the first phase of the project would be to open about 500,000 square feet of space in 2019 in the new city."

Opening the article:

"Amazon is in talks to lease 500,000 square feet of offices in Boston’s Fort Point Channel neighborhood, a hot destination for tech companies, with an option to double the amount of space also being discussed..."

It should be pointed out that Amazon's HQ in Seattle eats up 8.1M square feet across 40+ buildings in the downtown area. They have 40,000+ employees in those spaces, and built that up over years of expansion. Amazon is not going to open a shiny new tower in a new location and drop 50,000 people in it. They have stated they are going to start with 500,000 square feet of office space and expand from there, with expectations of growing to 50,000 and 8M+ square feet of space over the next decade.

Seems this matches up with what Amazon stated they were going to do as far as opening HQ2. And this is office space is in the heart of the tech company community in Boston, and not far from where they opened up their first major office, outside Seattle, in Cambridge.

Did you watch the video in the link? It's titled:

Search for space not connected to Amazon bid, mayor says

Here's the link to the story again for your convenience. Watch the main video a the top of the article, where they interview the BOSTON MAYOR who directly says it's not connected:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartanntp

It's also important to note that the Boston office space was being planned before the release of the HQ2 RFP last year. That's a major sign that they aren't connected.

Last edited by Muta; 01-12-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #767
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Did you watch the video in the link? It's titled:

Search for space not connected to Amazon bid, mayor says

Here's the link to the story again for your convenience. Watch the main video a the top of the article, where they interview the BOSTON MAYOR who directly says it's not connected:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartanntp

It's also important to note that the Boston office space was being planned before the release of the HQ2 RFP last year. That's a major sign that they aren't connected.
Point made, but that's a lot of coincidences. A lot. It's also a lot of office space for a basic expansion. That is all of the TD Square tower (33 stories) in Calgary for comparison. Basically room for about 2,000 people.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #768
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

in some ways I am trying to wrap my head around this number of employees and what they would all be doing.

right now the amazon website runs and you buy stuff, I know amazon is expanding into offering video - but makes you wonder what else they will be doing, or what toehr markets they have left to tap.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #769
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
in some ways I am trying to wrap my head around this number of employees and what they would all be doing.

right now the amazon website runs and you buy stuff, I know amazon is expanding into offering video - but makes you wonder what else they will be doing, or what toehr markets they have left to tap.
They don't make their money on the website and video or prime.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #770
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
No kidding, 500,000 sq feet of Office Space for 50,000 workers? Seems like it would be a little cramped...
We work with a number of clients who try and get max density out of their space. Your typical office with a mix of open area and closed is 1 person per 200 SF which will factor each persons proportionate share of meeting rooms, kitchens, lobbies, elevators and other common area.

Generally max density is 1:150 which would be 100% open office on a fairly large floor-plate (20,000 SF+). Most closed offices (lawyers, oil & gas, etc.) get around 1:300 density. So 500,000 SF would likely max out a ~3,300 people.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #771
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Umm, what?

Amazon makes about 85% of their money on direct retail sales and 3rd party sales from their website. If you include prime it is just under 90%.

From an article less than a month old:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-a...-money-2017-12

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-15-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #772
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Wut?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #773
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My apologies didn't really explain that well. They bring in more of their profit from their AWS divison. AWS now hosts over 1/3 of internet e-commerce, and something like 70% of NA internet traffic.

Last edited by Weitz; 01-15-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #774
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

AWS is expected to grow significantly year-over-year as they compete with Google and Microsoft in the cloud computing space.

I am confident that HQ2 will house an army of tech workers focused on storage, infrastructure and netoworking, cybersecurity, front-end GUI, app development, quality testing, data science, AI and algorithmic learning, IoT, ERP, CRM, ECM, and managed services. This is in addition to project managers, account managers, sales, marketing, business development, customer service, accounting, HR, Communications, and more.

I can see why it would be so big.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #775
itcrossedtheline
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Calgary Didn't make the final 20

https://www.streetinsider.com/Corpor.../13697777.html

Toronto the only Canadian City

Here's the list

Atlanta, GA

- Austin, TX

- Boston, MA

- Chicago, IL

- Columbus, OH

- Dallas, TX

- Denver, CO

- Indianapolis, IN

- Los Angeles, CA

- Miami, FL

- Montgomery County, MD

- Nashville, TN

- Newark, NJ

- New York City, NY

- Northern Virginia, VA

- Philadelphia, PA

- Pittsburgh, PA

- Raleigh, NC

- Toronto, ON

- Washington D.C

Last edited by itcrossedtheline; 01-18-2018 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Issues with the link
itcrossedtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #776
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itcrossedtheline View Post
Calgary Didn't make the final 20

https://www.streetinsider.com/Corpor.../13697777.html

Toronto the only Canadian City

Here's the list

Atlanta, GA

- Austin, TX

- Boston, MA

- Chicago, IL

- Columbus, OH

- Dallas, TX

- Denver, CO

- Indianapolis, IN

- Los Angeles, CA

- Miami, FL

- Montgomery County, MD

- Nashville, TN

- Newark, NJ

- New York City, NY

- Northern Virginia, VA

- Philadelphia, PA

- Pittsburgh, PA

- Raleigh, NC

- Toronto, ON

- Washington D.C
Unfortunate, but not entirely surprising either. I think it's Atlanta all the way.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #777
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given mostly all those cities are eastern based it's pretty clear that Calgary probably never really had a shot based on geography alone.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #778
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it's interesting that the Washington DC area are on the list three times (DC, Northern Virginia and Montgomery County). Also interesting that Bezos has property in the area.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #779
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a shame, I wasn't expecting to win, but I was really hoping we would make the shortlist to give the city some exposure. The Calgary pitch was really solid, but clearly we just don't align with what they need.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #780
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Release the bears
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: