Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #2481
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the focus on Presidential children, and obviously the Trumps were far more corrupt, but a lot of what Hunter does gives me the absolute heebie jeebies... selling art for 1/2 a mil a pop is definitely suspect. Is it actually good art or is it the name attached?

Here's an article from an art community discussing it: https://news.artnet.com/opinion/hunt...en-art-1988251
I agree. If he's in it for the art, why on earth would he sell it right now?

He's a funky fellow. No monster like Ivanka but there's something up there.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #2482
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess what I am trying to say is we shouldn't just hold the corruption or wrongness stick up to the level of the trump family, because then some seriously corrupt #### is still going to walk right over it. Our standards need to exist as they did prior to Trumps ####ting all over them, and IMO this is another instance in a line of curious/ poor decisions from Hunter Biden that normally would set off alarm bells.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #2483
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course if you question the value of the art, you then sound like a complete arse.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #2484
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I hate the focus on Presidential children
I think when they're children they're absolutely off limits ie. Malia & Sasha Obama, Barron Trump, etc. But if they're adults who do shady stuff to monetarily benefit from their parent's presidency they're definitely fair game.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:08 AM   #2485
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
One of the worst things about MAGA's rise has been it has allowed some neocons to have a kinda, sorta, rehabilitation of their image. Like take Liz Cheney. She sucks, I don't like almost anything about her policies. But then she tells someone even worse, like Jim Jordan, to #### right off, and you're left torn: On the one hand she's still a neocon warmongerer, on the other.....yeah, #### Jim Jordan.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/whodun...aw-him-commit/
Even without the MAGAs, liberals and liberal media outlets providing neocon scumbags and war criminals with redemption arcs is a time-honoured tradition in American politics.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #2486
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
There's been some reported concerns from the Ethics Watchdog that Hunter Biden is selling his art work which has been valued as high as $500K a piece. One can get a Matisse piece for the same amount of money. While it's not the same as Trump giving his daughter and son-in-law jobs in the WH, it's also a concern that this is happening, as a buyer could leverage their purchase of one of the paintings to secure support from the WH on other things they have an interest in.
That's got literally nothing to do with anything.

First of all, art prices aren't comparable between artists.

Second, art prices are nonsense and have nothing to do with quality.

Third, if it was possible to get to Joe Biden with just money, his and Hunter Bidens and his whole families net worth would be a lot more than what it is. This is a guy who's been a prominent figure in US politics for ages, he's had a lifetime of chances to cash in on that already.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:57 PM   #2487
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

'This has to stop': Ivanka Trump repeatedly tried to convince Trump to tell his supporters to leave the Capitol on January 6, book says

Quote:
Ivanka Trump repeatedly tried to sway her father and then-boss, President Donald Trump, to tell his supporters storming the Capitol on January 6 to leave the complex, according to an excerpt of a forthcoming book by Washington Post journalists Carol D. Leonnig and Philip Rucker published in the outlet on Thursday.

The authors wrote that Ivanka, then Trump's senior advisor, left her second-floor office in the White House after she saw on TV that a mob breached the Capitol. She wanted to find Trump and convince him to speak forcefully against the violence, the book says.

"I'm going down to my dad. This has to stop," she reportedly told her aides.

What ensued was Ivanka spending "several hours walking back and forth" to the Oval Office, trying to convince Trump to order his supporters to stand down, per the book.

At times, Trump's then-chief of staff Mark Meadows would call Ivanka to come downstairs to get through to Trump, the book says.

"I need you to come back down here," Meadows reportedly told her. "We've got to get this under control."

Meadows would direct other Trump aides to step out of the room, saying: "I only want Ivanka, myself and the president in here," the authors wrote.

One White House advisor said that "Ivanka was described to me like a stable pony," the book says. "When the racehorse gets too agitated, you bring the stable pony in to calm him down," the person reportedly said.

GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Trump's ally, had also called Ivanka on her cellphone "numerous times" before she answered, the book says.

"You need to tell [Trump] to tell these people to leave," Graham reportedly said.

"We're working on it," Ivanka responded, according to the book.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...edgdhp&pc=U531
Old 07-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #2488
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
'This has to stop': Ivanka Trump repeatedly tried to convince Trump to tell his supporters to leave the Capitol on January 6, book says

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...edgdhp&pc=U531
Snicker.

White supremacy Barbie tried to convince her Dad to call off his peeps.

What a hero.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 07-16-2021 at 05:39 PM. Reason: MOD EDIT: Removed inappropriate language
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #2489
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seth on fire lately. (Warning: videos 10m and 14m long):

Old 07-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #2490
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1415841197269073921
Old 07-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #2491
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good stuff, Joe. These au pairs have had it far too good for too long.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-...search&index=0

Quote:
The Biden administration plans to advance its predecessor’s proposal to keep state and local worker protections from applying to foreign au pairs, angering labor advocates who doubt the Department of State—as overseer of the visa program—has the means to shield the young and mostly female workforce from abuse.

“There is a huge problem with the federal State Department’s inability to actually administer and provide oversight of this program,” said Rocio Avila, senior employment law counsel and state policy director at the#National Domestic Workers Alliance.

The live-in childcare workers are recruited through sponsor companies and can stay in the U.S. with a#J-1 exchange visitor visa. Families pay an agency fee, and those they employ can work a maximum of 45 hours per week and get paid weekly at a rate of $4.35 per hour, as the cost of au pair room and board is deducted from their federal minimum wage. They’re tied to their host families and sponsoring companies. Many have reportedly faced threats of deportation, as well as financial, physical, and sexual abuse.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #2492
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I guess what I am trying to say is we shouldn't just hold the corruption or wrongness stick up to the level of the trump family, because then some seriously corrupt #### is still going to walk right over it. Our standards need to exist as they did prior to Trumps ####ting all over them, and IMO this is another instance in a line of curious/ poor decisions from Hunter Biden that normally would set off alarm bells.

Art is a classic way of money laundering, art's worth whatever someones willing to pay for it. There's a lot of way to use art as a tax shelter, so it works well on both ends.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:45 PM   #2493
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Seth on fire lately. (Warning: videos 10m and 14m long):

Between this and Jon Oliver, I feel like I'm waking up from the guise of laughtracks.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:54 PM   #2494
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1416136462161137665
Old 07-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #2495
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1416543236152197120
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #2496
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

In case we needed anymore evidence that the Democrats' "concern" regarding corruption in the Trump administration was anything other than pure politics...

https://www.govexec.com/management/2...census/183843/

Quote:
The Biden administration has declined to prosecute former Trump administration officials, including former Commerce Department Secretary Wilbur Ross, after an inspector general confirmed they provided false testimony regarding the origins of the proposed citizenship question on the 2020 census.#

The Commerce IG launched its probe in 2019, following a#request#from lawmakers. The investigators did not make their report public, citing Privacy Act concerns, but said in a#letter#to Senate#Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., that Ross and other officials played a “substantive role” in proposing the addition of the citizenship question to the census. The proposal caused significant controversy as critics said it would deter non-citizens from participating in the count at all and it was eventually struck down by the Supreme Court.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #2497
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Good stuff, Joe. These au pairs have had it far too good for too long.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-...search&index=0
This is pretty obviously a bad system. Maybe half of the people using it can't actually find nannys in the States, or can't afford them and go overseas. The other half, I'd be pretty confident saying that it's likely sex trafficking. As long as that's state sponsored, I guess that's fine.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #2498
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
In case we needed anymore evidence that the Democrats' "concern" regarding corruption in the Trump administration was anything other than pure politics...

https://www.govexec.com/management/2...census/183843/
I don't think this means the democrats were not honestly concerned, they just have decided to leave it be now as the Trump'ers are gone and not actively doing damage.

The reasons for leaving it be could be simply that Biden doesn't want to be seen as seeking out and attacking political opponents.

I don't understand your point? What motivation could the Dems have to leave it be that is concerning?

Last edited by Mull; 07-19-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #2499
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I don't think this means the democrats were not honestly concerned, they just have decided to leave it be now as the Trump'ers are gone and not actively doing damage.

The reasons for leaving it be could be simply that Biden doesn't want to be seen as seeking out and attacking political opponents.

I don't understand your point? What motivation could the Dems have to leave it be that is concerning?
The thing that puzzles me is if the Biden administration is doing what you suggest, why don't they also see that if the Repugnants get control again they will not do the same. Trump wants revenge.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #2500
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
The thing that puzzles me is if the Biden administration is doing what you suggest, why don't they also see that if the Repugnants get control again they will not do the same. Trump wants revenge.
One reason could be is time and time again the Dems don't play by the same rules as the republicans.
but I don't know if that is the reason, I just wanted to point out that the argument they only were concerned about Trump's antics was politics didn't really pass mustard with me
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote