Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #621
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I still can't get over how dumb it is that McDavid being even faster is somehow going to be the salvation this season. his crap linemates already have trouble keeping up as it is, doesn't this make the problem worse and simplify things even more for the opposing team in terms of keying on just the one guy?

as far as I'm concerned, McDavid could have gotten rocket engines grafted on to his ass, and it still wouldn't make a lick of difference because this isn't basketball. unless he literally becomes Quicksilver and is able to freeze time for himself, it's just another stupid thing to distract from how they've yet again failed to build a proper NHL squad around him.
Its also hilarious because McDavid basically winding up at the Redline to enter the zone is already so obvious every defender in the league is already expecting it. Doing it a little faster isnt going to change anything.

McDavid could score 200 points and that team still isnt going anywhere.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #622
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man if they don’t get Nurse signed, whoooooo boy
Old 09-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #623
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dude won the Art Ross trophy and they still sucked. He can win the Art Ross again and they will still suck with the roster they have.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #624
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Stauffer reported that the Oilers were working on their powerplay today:

PP 1
Klefbom
McDavid - Draisaitl - RNH
Lucic

PP 2
Benning
Puljujarvi - Strome - Caggiula
Rieder

Has to be one of the worst looking second units in the league, no? Also, isn't that all left shot players on the first unit? That really sunk Calgary's PP last year in my opinion.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #625
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

double post

Last edited by bax; 09-17-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: double post
Old 09-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #626
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Stauffer reported that the Oilers were working on their powerplay today:

PP 1
Klefbom
McDavid - Draisaitl - RNH
Lucic

PP 2
Benning
Puljujarvi - Strome - Caggiula
Rieder

Has to be one of the worst looking second units in the league, no? Also, isn't that all left shot players on the first unit? That really sunk Calgary's PP last year in my opinion.
That is all left shot players. It will be better for all the players besides McDavid as they will all be on their one time side.

Will it work? I dunno.

McDavid is better than Gaudreau so maybe he will be successful at running a PP on the wrong side.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #627
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
That is all left shot players. It will be better for all the players besides McDavid as they will all be on their one time side.

Will it work? I dunno.

McDavid is better than Gaudreau so maybe he will be successful at running a PP on the wrong side.
I don't think it's about being able to run the powerplay better. Last year, I just found that type of system was so predictable and easy to defend.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #628
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it's about being able to run the powerplay better. Last year, I just found that type of system was so predictable and easy to defend.
The 1-3-1?

I think most teams use it.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #629
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
The 1-3-1?

He may mean always tossing it back to Klefbom who seemed to shoot every time.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #630
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The 1-3-1?

The 1-3-1 with all the players having the same hand shot. Just from watching last year it makes the puck movement very predictable as it limits the options of every player on the ice.

The QB will be posted up on the half wall and will always look to pass because his shooting option is a bad angle. If the puck is on the other half of the ice the play is always clear to get it back to the QB on the left side.

Is Gulutzan running the powerplay in Edmonton? I don't know how much input he had on it here in Calgary, but it was a lot of low percentage shots and hope for a rebound. My point is that it's nice to have left and right shots on a PP. More angles of attack and a better balance of options- harder to read.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #631
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
when was it again that Johnny unsuccessfully ran the Flames PP on his weak side? are you talking about last year where he spent the entire season stapled to the left (strong) side? or the one preseason game where the Flames finally started using their weak sides and scored 2 PPGs?
Old 09-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #632
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy that the team with the Art Ross Trophy winner had the worst PP in the league last year.

Not only that, but the Oilers' 31 PP goals last season was the 4th fewest PP goals scored by any team in one 80+ game season in NHL history.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #633
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Maybe, but they did that a lot in 2017 and got results.

You're a stats guy.

The stats had the Flames second best in the NHL last season on the PP in generating High Danger Chances. Oilers 15th.

Stats were wrong there or not?
Old 09-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #634
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Well his name isn’t ‘Klefpass’.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #635
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The 1-3-1 with all the players having the same hand shot. Just from watching last year it makes the puck movement very predictable as it limits the options of every player on the ice.

The QB will be posted up on the half wall and will always look to pass because his shooting option is a bad angle. If the puck is on the other half of the ice the play is always clear to get it back to the QB on the left side.

Is Gulutzan running the powerplay in Edmonton? I don't know how much input he had on it here in Calgary, but it was a lot of low percentage shots and hope for a rebound. My point is that it's nice to have left and right shots on a PP. More angles of attack and a better balance of options- harder to read.
Ok. 1-3-1 is the system. Players all having left shots is a personnel issue.

I think its definitely not ideal to have all lefthand shots. Ideally you want a Washington situation were your best lefthand passer is passing to three good right handed shooters. That's nearly impossible for most teams to put together though.

Manny Viveiros is doing the PP. Guy from junior. His team had a good PP but it was junior.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 09-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #636
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
when was it again that Johnny unsuccessfully ran the Flames PP on his weak side? are you talking about last year where he spent the entire season stapled to the left (strong) side? or the one preseason game where the Flames finally started using their weak sides and scored 2 PPGs?
Left side for a left handed shot is the "wrong" side to be running a PP from.

It takes away from your shooting angle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 AM   #637
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently in Edmonton. For those of you who are curious and would like an update, it still sucks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 01:34 AM   #638
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Currently in Edmonton. For those of you who are curious and would like an update, it still sucks.
My condolences. I had to live there for 6 years, so I know what it's like.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #639
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Left side for a left handed shot is the "wrong" side to be running a PP from.

It takes away from your shooting angle.
Strong side is better for protecting the puck and if you are going to be passing. And it's a better angle for a short side shot. Weak side is a better angel for a one timer generally.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #640
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Strong side is better for protecting the puck and if you are going to be passing. And it's a better angle for a short side shot. Weak side is a better angel for a one timer generally.
I'd agree that strong side is better for protecting the puck at 5 on 5. Especially in your own end and carrying the puck through the neutral zone and on rush attempts.

In the fairly static PP setup I think weak side is as good or better for basically everything.

1 vs 3. Both are left hand shots.

Both are in position to make passes on their forehand.

3 can one time.

If 3 skates into the middle of the ice he is on his forehand and is a huge threat. That's a massive advantage over 1.

I would say puck protection is relatively equal here. If 3 gets pressured hard they can spin towards the boards and puck the puck deep on their backhand or make a pass to the point on their forehand. 1 in the same situation has to make the less safe point pass on their backhand if they spin. Perhaps 3 has a slight advantage here too.

Washington has the ideal setup up with an ideal shooter in Ovechkin.

I guess the Oilers will look like that this year in the five lefty set up but McDavid will be in the 1 position from the first picture which is going to hurt his ability to walk into the middle. He will have lots of options to set up a one timer, but will he be able to create that space if the defenders don't have to respect him walking into the middle?

Calgary was playing the weak side QB with Johnny this all last year and it didn't work that well. Did they do it the first year of Gulutzan as well?

Either way, at the end of the day I strongly suspect that player execution and luck both play a larger role on PP effectiveness than coaching.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 09-18-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Closed Thread