Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2020, 09:15 PM   #2301
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I had a goal of 7000km, but the pandemic and moving to BC while working Eastern Time
Hours from Pacific time threw me for a loop and I couldn’t manage my usual 32km a day. I managed about 2700km this year.

Amazing work Aaron and Kevin. I need to get out more.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:48 PM   #2302
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I had a goal of 7000km, but the pandemic and moving to BC while working Eastern Time
Hours from Pacific time threw me for a loop and I couldn’t manage my usual 32km a day. I managed about 2700km this year.

Amazing work Aaron and Kevin. I need to get out more.
All of us would love to have your riding weather (maybe not Bigtime because he's a borderline psychopath). You'll be able kill your 2021 goal without the huge distraction of moving.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:53 PM   #2303
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
All of us would love to have your riding weather (maybe not Bigtime because he's a borderline psychopath). You'll be able kill your 2021 goal without the huge distraction of moving.

Honestly, I’m just working too much. I start between 5-6 and can’t seem to stop at 2 like I should based on when I start work. It’s like 4 when I’m done and it gets SO dark here, and drivers are the worst. I miss Calgary’s pathways like you couldn’t imagine. I do like my 20km seaside ride though.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:40 PM   #2304
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Honestly, I’m just working too much. I start between 5-6 and can’t seem to stop at 2 like I should based on when I start work. It’s like 4 when I’m done and it gets SO dark here, and drivers are the worst. I miss Calgary’s pathways like you couldn’t imagine. I do like my 20km seaside ride though.
That sucks man. Hopefully you're able to find some balance and time to get in some more riding.

I did make a conscious decision to go for rides when the weather was good this year. Regardless of work (sorry clients). Calgary's just too fickle so waiting till the afternoon. Too many rainy afternoons. It's too easy to be head down in code and just say you'll get out later. Then the kids come home from school and wife is off work and being away on a ride is tougher.

A 1 1/2 ride seems to be the equivalent to an hour or less of work. Especially with client/contractor/employee messages.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:06 AM   #2305
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would be cool to meet some of y’all crazy cats out on the bike sometime in the spring in whatever form that is... gravel or road. Mtb is a whole lot harder for group rides and meetups but an in town gravel with a cafe stop or two hits the spot. The Speedy McSpeedersons can just ride heavier slower bikes and pull everyone.

Was just a bit shy my 9000km total goal distance after all. But that includes road gravel mtb hike run walk swim grovel. More than I put on our primary vehicle at least.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 03:33 AM   #2306
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished the year off with 26, 867.87 kms done this year. Not as good as 2019 unfortunately, where I had 31,967 kms.

Before people start calling bull#### I don't drive. I have a 70 km commute each day . I am also a bike packer and ultra endurance tourer. They plan this year was to travel and do some bikepack races but covid hit. Races would be things like the dirty kanza, trans continental etc. Training often includes blasting out to Lake Cowichan from Victoria via the great trail and back mostly over nighting but in 1 day lots of times because I would need to do at least 180 to 210 kms a day to even get a decent showing in self supported ultra endurance events.

The main goal is to compete in the tour divide in the next decade. I don't want to compete I wanna get like top 6 or 7 which would mean getting it done in under 17 days on average.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 01-01-2021 at 03:43 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #2307
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

KMs were very low this year. Lost most of July and Aug with a torn calf muscle. Had a decent fall, need to work on some dietary habits and just get out there. Met some new riders in December out on a gravel ride so I have more people to push me now as well.

Shooting for 10,000km and a big weight loss this year.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 08:52 AM   #2308
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Impressive numbers, all of you.

I did around 5000 km outside, a combination of road, mountain, and fat bike. Another 3000 on the trainer, which I got just as Covid was hitting and I realized going to the gym was going to be coming to an end. The trainer was a life saver in those first couple of months of shutdowns, really helped with the professional and personal stressors at that time.

Overall I have been able to take advantage of and enjoy the increased free time I have had due to decreased work hours, and get on the bike more than usual. Cycling is a great option during a pandemic for getting exercise.

The thing I miss the most is the going to organized road events; fondos and the like. I’m not a racer, but I like the semi competitive aspect, and the elements of strategy with group riding. I’m hopeful, though maybe not confident, that we’ll be able to get some group road events happening again this summer. We’ll see.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 01-01-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 08:57 AM   #2309
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to start it off with a ride today, I don't have too many Jan 1 rides in my past.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #2310
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hah! Heading down onto the trainer right now too.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #2311
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm debating the January 1st ride too, usually I'm up in the mountains and not near a bike to do it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #2312
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just need work to end first
Old 01-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #2313
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I think I'll try my hand at a January 1 ride too.

It's a classic Vancouver winter day out there (i.e. miserable in every respect) so it'll be the trainer for me. Thank goodness for that thing. I'd be a blimp by now without it.

Edit: Started the year off with a nice 50 km on the trainer, with the bonus that I discovered my rear tire was down to about 20 psi, so I'm giving myself extra credit for the rides I've done over the last couple of weeks

Good start to the year.

Last edited by flylock shox; 01-01-2021 at 03:55 PM.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #2314
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of you guys are really killing it! Just shy of 4,000 km for me, they were nearly all training rides for races and events that didn’t happen. The last few months have been rides for mental health and maintaining base.

There is a CP Zwift group??
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 04:59 PM   #2315
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'm debating the January 1st ride too, usually I'm up in the mountains and not near a bike to do it.

Didn't happen, kids kept me busy all day. But that is totally ok.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #2316
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I got stuck working until 4. Tomorrow I'll do a decent one.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #2317
kermitology

Exp:

You guys inspired me so my wife and I went out for a 29km ride in the rain.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #2318
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ended 2020 with 10,183 kms cycled and a streak of 63 days with a minimum of one hour of cycling to end the year. With only one race on February 29, I didn’t think I’d hit my goal of 10,000 kms. I held out hope for a fall season but when that was cancelled I stopped cycling for 5 weeks.

I did the Alpe du Zwift today for the first time. I don’t get the point of it. I don’t believe that Zwift ascent is actually ascent. Yes, the trainer increases the resistance and the speed goes down when you’re going up a virtual hill, but it’s not ascent. The bike isn’t on an incline and you aren’t using the same muscles you are when climbing outdoors. I got the same workout today that I would have if I had ridden on Tempus Fugit, but I just had substantially less kms ridden. I don’t see me riding it again. As a guy that rides up hills outside, I just don’t consider Zwift ascent actual climbing.

I think my only goal this year will be to ride 12,000 kms. If there are races I’ll add some goals. I realized I can do golf and cycling instead of just focusing on one, so I intend to gold more this year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #2319
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, humbled by some stats posted here. Good job!! I hit 5,243 km last year, all outside, with the vast majority commuting to work.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope04 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #2320
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I emailed my local bike shop inquiring about ordering a Trek road bike I had researched.

Unfortunately, the global bicycle shortage has continued into 2021. I'm told it's impossible to place new orders for bicycles. It comes down to what they already have, or what was previously ordered, which I have a strong suspicion will be only very expensive models rather than the $1000 entry level model I want.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote