Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #1101
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rare 1930s Bugatti found in workshop expected to fetch up to $9.5 million at auction

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/ra...gbr/index.html

1937 Bugatti Type 57S

The "outstanding" Bugatti is in "exceptionally rare condition" and is being sold by Bonhams after being found in the workshop of its late owner, engineer and car enthusiast Bill Turnbull, in the English county of Staffordshire, the auction house said.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #1102
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I don't see bringing bikes into the 21st century while also trying to move them away from being 'donorcycles' a bad thing necessarily.
I can understand, maybe even support the sentiment, but I feel (like most things( they are designed for the lowest common denominator.

Riding a motorcycle is a skill, and requires diligent practise and work to be the best possible rider you can. If a cpu needs to adjust your throttle input to prevent you from flipping it over, then you have no business whatsoever handling a machine with that kind of power. Likewise, if the only thing stopping you from hopelessly skidding into the back of a truck is your ABS, systems that allow you to continually just mash the rear brake don’t do anything nag to make you a safer rider.
Sure, these safety features may prevent most basic of riders commuting the most basic of fatal errors. But the same asshat who needs anti-wheelie to keep his bike right side up is the same guy who loses it in the corner afterwards because he has never developed the skills required to ride his machine.

To me, it’s a double edged sword. Make riding ‘safe’ and accessible to everyone, which is great. But like everything else, it’s likely nothing more than a casual hobby where you can just hop on, like a musical instrument or hobbycrafts. Except, if I spend no time working on my drumming skills, all that happens is I sound terrible. Treat your motorcycle riding the same way, and death is a very real consequence. ABS might help you avoid looking silly on 17th Ave, but it’s not going to help you learn anything
I could rant forever on this.

Motorcycles are not a casual thing. Even if you only ride a few times a year, you’d better be spending half that time developing skills and techniques, because all the throttle control in the world won’t help you anticipate situations where you’re about to die.

Also, I’m sure I’m statistically wrong about all this. So in that case, keep your GD electronics off my motorcycle. How soft are we
Old 01-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #1103
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

What you're talking about (people riding like sh-t) already happens and leads to people dying, in the same way it does with cars. Your answer is to keep the status quo and make people try harder... I don't think society is on board with your solution. Besides, these assists are kind of like training wheels. You can turn them off if you want.

I mean I get it, at first I found the technology on my E-Class really cool, but after a while it became intrusive while also making me a little more reliant on them in some situations. I didn't like that and started turning them off, and I'm glad my new car doesn't have any of those features.

ABS has been on bigger touring bikes forever now though, a relative's BMW K-series had it back in 2007.

Besides, getting more people interested in motorcycles and making it more accessible to beginners is a net-positive IMO. Imagine if the motorcycle was invented today, you'd get laughed out of the room trying to get it approved for street use. More people on bikes, the less likely to see their use get clamped down on by some road safety nitwit politician.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-08-2021 at 03:54 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:09 AM   #1104
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's getting better actually, more licensers are mandating courses before being able to get a license and people are usually learning on bikes without all those features.

I was not much of a fan of abs and whatnot, can't even imagine have tc on a bike, but I don't think they are bad things for the average rider and anything that keeps accident rates down should help keep insurance rates down, and that's a win win for everyone.

Besides, if we didn't let our machines move forward via tech we'd still be squeezing drum brakes, adjusting carbs every morning, f***king with a choke for 15 minutes, and reaching for a suicide shifter. it's not wrong to innovate, the basics of riding are still there and regardless of the computers attached it's still about the wind in your face and the open road.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 07:06 AM   #1105
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one's for Sliver since i know he loves Nissan...I saw one of these yesterday, and couldn't get over how much of a disaster the designers made of this section specifically. The wavy chrome and body panel, the black plastic not-window bits, the tail lights...it's all just so offensive. It's much worse in person.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 08:51 AM   #1106
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never mind the fact that it makes already bad rearward visibility even worse, and the aggressively sloping roofline cuts into cargo space. Ugly and useless, what a combo.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #1107
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This angle shows it better(worse).

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #1108
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

At least that one is in that sweet burnt orange baby poo colour haha. Oh Nissan...how are you still in business?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #1109
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Those wheels are hideous too.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #1110
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is the cost (approximate) to have some tiny rust spots fixed? Or is that an easy DIY
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #1111
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Need an better obp2 reader for a fleet of 10-12 vehicles. Any recommendations in the $500 $700 range

(Our $200 reader was accidentally crushed..)
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:34 PM   #1112
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do you need to spend that much on an OBD-2 reader?

An Innova 3160 from Canadian Tire is under $400, and will do OBD2, SRS, and will let you update the software for free using a PC. I have one of their older units and it has been fantastic. I scanned my cars plus those of a few friends. The only reason I’m getting rid of it is for a Launch X-431 Pro S Mini that supports the newer AM software that allows me to run the clutch learn “Special Function” without paying a dealer with AMDS.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:47 AM   #1113
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What is the cost (approximate) to have some tiny rust spots fixed? Or is that an easy DIY
Surface rust or perforation? Once there's perforation it's not likely worth it especially if it's around wheel wells as chances are the car has cancer and rust will sprout in other areas. It's only really worth repairing rust on collectable cars or garage queens as a lot of work is involved to properly repair rust spots and usually the rust will come back. Sometimes people confuse rail dust for rust as you will get lots of little rust particles sticking to your car in the winter.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:12 PM   #1114
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Why do you need to spend that much on an OBD-2 reader?

An Innova 3160 from Canadian Tire is under $400, and will do OBD2, SRS, and will let you update the software for free using a PC. I have one of their older units and it has been fantastic. I scanned my cars plus those of a few friends. The only reason I’m getting rid of it is for a Launch X-431 Pro S Mini that supports the newer AM software that allows me to run the clutch learn “Special Function” without paying a dealer with AMDS.
The Innova 3160RS looks like a strong contender
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 08:03 PM   #1115
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Surface rust or perforation? Once there's perforation it's not likely worth it especially if it's around wheel wells as chances are the car has cancer and rust will sprout in other areas. It's only really worth repairing rust on collectable cars or garage queens as a lot of work is involved to properly repair rust spots and usually the rust will come back. Sometimes people confuse rail dust for rust as you will get lots of little rust particles sticking to your car in the winter.
Just small surface spots, problem is there are quite a few scattered throughout the body. Nothing too serious just more of an eye sore. Nothing big and nowhere near known problem spots like wheel wells
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:20 PM   #1116
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

A very annoying lady at my old work got a brand new Murano. She was making a big deal at what a luxury vehicle it was, but honestly, they are hideous. The entire was kind of nice, but not nearly where it should be for the price tag. And she got the awful brown normal poo color. Just a complete eyesore of a vehicle that went well with her personality. The sad thing is my brother had an original model Murano and that thing was awesome!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 09:21 PM   #1117
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many cars have a floating roof design now. Little late to complain here, don't you think?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:02 PM   #1118
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
A very annoying lady at my old work got a brand new Murano. She was making a big deal at what a luxury vehicle it was, but honestly, they are hideous. The entire was kind of nice, but not nearly where it should be for the price tag. And she got the awful brown normal poo color. Just a complete eyesore of a vehicle that went well with her personality. The sad thing is my brother had an original model Murano and that thing was awesome!
I love how much you hate this woman.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 06:36 AM   #1119
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Nothing says luxury vehicle like a CVT transmission. As you say they used to be pretty decent when they first game out but like most Nissan products they have largely been carryover from last decade as the VQ V6/CVT combo was adequate 15 years ago but long on the tooth today.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #1120
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I love how much you hate this woman.
Haha, apparently I’m holding a grudge. She was the definition of an “office Karen.” She was an admin, but the company didn’t like that title, so they called her something else that made her feel much higher up in the organization. She was the type to show up at 9 and leave at 2 if her manager was out of town, but still complain how busy she was to everyone and anyone. I always wonder what some of these people are doing now that everyone is working from home. Her core competency seemed to be guarding the director’s door from anyone she didn’t deem worthy to talk to him. Not sure how that translates to work from home.

I can’t remember what year it was, but my brother completely bagged his Murano and that thing was a champ. He had it as a company vehicle, so he put a ton of city miles on it and it just kept on going without needing any major repairs.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote