Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #41
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
What about the buyers' realtor fees?
You think a guy who works for a home builder isn't buying new houses from the company he works for?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #42
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
You think a guy who works for a home builder isn't buying new houses from the company he works for?
Who's buying his houses? Do you know how realtor fees work?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #43
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

This doesn't sound like too much of an issue if you were to upsize from your current home. The real question is: can you make do I with the house you have and do you actually need a bigger house? Lots of people have big houses but they don't actually use the extra space. I'd also be curious to know if your TFSA and RRSPs are maxed out. It's great to be aggressive with paying down a mortgage but with interest rates so low you're likely to get a better return in your TFSA (or RRSP).

Would having a bigger home make you happier? If you go into any show home you're guaranteed to fall in love with the idea of a nice, big home. Also, there's the costs of moving (usually underestimated), increase in taxes, utilities, upkeep etc. with a bigger home
Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #44
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
That sounds f'n horrible, just absolutely horrible in every respect. I can't imagine wanting to move every single year. The fees associated with moving would be astronomically high, just the movers and time aspect, plus how would you ever get comfortable living somewhere when you finally unpack, it would be mere months until you have to pack everything back up again, that is assuming he has more than a bindle and stick setup.
When I had our home built the salesperson told us about a lady and her husband who moved about 8 times in 12 years. Similar situation, they always went short or variable with their mortgage (lower penalties) and had a relative who was a realtor, and another was a lawyer. They would build a new home for a cheap price, move in for a short time, then sell. The gains were tax free and costs were kept low.

Anyway over that period of time they managed to make a gain each time they sold, and now they've accumulated enough to not have a mortgage.

Interesting scenario, makes sense though in a rising market. Personally the idea of moving so much seems ridiculous, but personal preference for them. I'd never do it though just because you'd be living out of boxes for a decade.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #45
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm fata

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 06-15-2014 at 08:38 PM.