Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 6th and 10th Condo

Realtor 1 - Please let me know if this is not appropriate and needs changing.....

After many months of eager anticipation, Brad Lamb's "6th and 10th" Sales Center opened yesterday. I'm curious to know if anyone else attended, and if so, what the impressions were. I will say that I am not just a little disappointed, but actually VERY disappointed.

Location: The location (right beside the 10th street railroad tracks) is a bit iffy for me, but the central location is an understandable trade-off.

Floorplans: Tiny compared to some of the other buildings going up. The three sizes of 1BR are 534sqft, 482sqft, and 449sqft. There is a 2BR at 825sqft that I can see being popular though. Of the 8 non-penthouse floorplans, only 3 of them are particularly decent.

Finishes: A good job here, although some of the materials are patterned and will look dated within 5 years. Color schemes are pretty nice though and the materials appear solid. One thing that irks me though is that (almost) every bedroom in the building have semi-translucent sliding doors. It looks tacky and has a "You're trying too hard" feel.

Pricing: I think that the pricing (compared to existing projects) is a bit out to lunch, but most of the downtown/beltline condos are at this point. Units under 768sqft do not come with parking and stalls are $29,900 each and are only available to 1BR+Den Units. The extra $3,000 for a storage locker seems excessive.

I would rate this project as a C-

Pricing Examples (from the list)

6th Floor, North Face, 1BR, 449sqft: $210,900 (No parking)
5th Floor, Northwest Face, 1BR, 534sqft: $248,900 (No parking)
2nd Floor, West Face, 1BR + Den, 638sqft: $286,900 (Parking $29,900 extra)
3rd Floor, Southeast Face, 2BR, 770sqft: $369,900 (Incl Parking)
5th Floor, Northeast Face, 2BR, 825sqft: $404,900 (Incl Parking)

Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

400k for an 800 sq ft place? That is very expensive.

Prices like that are a big reason why there is so much sprawl in this city.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Was this that stalled project that caused damage to some historic buildings on 11 Ave?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post

Agreed. As someone who wants to live downtown, prices like this make it very difficult to justify spending over $400k for the square footage you get. With that said my mentality may be out to lunch as I've always wanted a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unit and maybe that's just not realistic for someone buying their first place in a new building. At the end of the day, if you have guests and company over you want to have your own separate bathroom and maybe even a spare room. Maybe my mentality needs to change on that. I saw video of a high rise in Tokyo squeezing people into 450 sqft units and they seemed to manage. But that was Tokyo and not Calgary.

As you said, probably a big reason for so much sprawl as you can get townhouses and houses for that price. Throw in condo fees and that's a lot of money.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nothing like putting in a higher end condo building right by the bottle depot.

The noise and clients that come from the bottle depot are going to have a negative impact on the resale of anyone that purchases here.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I used to work right beside where this building is getting constructed. In fact, I would pay $12 bucks a day to park right where they are building the tower. Lots of bums hang out there due to the bottle depot. Not the greatest spot for a condo tower.

Its like the Chocolate tower being across from a homeless shelter.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post

It's pricey, but for people that choose to live there, they'll likely be saving thousands in transportation costs every year. There's always tradeoffs.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
Was this that stalled project that caused damage to some historic buildings on 11 Ave?
No, this is a new build.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
JMN
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm happy because it just makes me feel that much better about my condo purchase -- just need it to be completed.

3rd Floor, Southeast Face, 2BR, 770sqft: $369,900 --> WOW. Those prices and the location aren't very attractive.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think $500 a square foot for unit + parking + locker is pretty standard for new builds nowadays for prime locations.

A lot of those east village condos are selling for 500-600. Keynote 2/Calla were about 450-550. Guardian is a lower end development and even that was 400-500.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I believe that bottle depot is getting torn down and turned into parking. I remember something about them selling it
Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I believe that bottle depot is getting torn down and turned into parking. I remember something about them selling it
I can't find anything concrete on this, I believe the plan was to get rid of the bottle depot, but that changed and now it's going to be sticking around.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well that sucks! Good thing since i'm moving to cochrane I get to walk past mec instead of the bottle depot every morning. Can get pretty sketchy there some times
Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
It's pricey, but for people that choose to live there, they'll likely be saving thousands in transportation costs every year. There's always tradeoffs.
Sure, but unless you buy in cash, you will also spend thousands more in interest to the bank every day than you would for a similarly sized condo in the suburbs. Wouldn't it make more sense to move 12 blocks west and pay 225k for the same sq footage in an older building?

I'm a huge proponent of living in the inner city, but prices like these are just outlandish.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The invite I got in the mail made this development look/sound way better than the OP is describing it. Damn.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

- 3rd Floor, Southeast Face, 2BR, 770sqft: $369,900 (Incl Parking)

For downtown, it's average I suppose.

Mine is appraised at the same price range but square footage in the 500s, 1 BR, and high teens in floor number. I hear the average premium is $5000 a floor you go up.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #17
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I hear the average premium is $5000 a floor you go up.
I think that varies by floor. The difference between being on 3 versus 2 is a pretty big deal, and the difference between being on the top versus 2nd highest floor is a big deal, but I wouldn't pay 5k extra to move (for example) from 14 to 15, and I think most people would feel the same way.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #18
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
- 3rd Floor, Southeast Face, 2BR, 770sqft: $369,900 (Incl Parking)

For downtown, it's average I suppose.

Mine is appraised at the same price range but square footage in the 500s, 1 BR, and high teens in floor number. I hear the average premium is $5000 a floor you go up.
Do you also have the Train rumbling (literally) 25 feet from your home?

I would suggest that this particular unit is competitively priced as far as downtown condos go, but the location just sucks the value out of that number. Getting 10 floors up, I see the train being a non-factor. But for that you need to add another 50k to the price.

If you're hitting the 400k mark, there are far better options than 6th and 10th. (imo)

Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Height makes no difference on hearing the CP trains or not, but I can tell you that you quickly get used to them and they will not prevent you from falling asleep or wake you up.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
Do you also have the Train rumbling (literally) 25 feet from your home?

I would suggest that this particular unit is competitively priced as far as downtown condos go, but the location just sucks the value out of that number. Getting 10 floors up, I see the train being a non-factor. But for that you need to add another 50k to the price.

If you're hitting the 400k mark, there are far better options than 6th and 10th. (imo)
Working in an adjacent building at a higher floor, you definitely still feel and hear the trains. I don't think it would be enough to wake you up in the middle of the night though, but you couldn't keep the windows open it would really be too loud. Frankly being close to a fire department, or be on a road that fire trucks frequently use is much more annoying.

Last edited by Firebot; 09-17-2012 at 08:01 PM.