Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #441
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
30s I agree, there has been a slow steady drop.
13+ not using it at all.

What I've observed in the past year, is that messenger-kids has become very popular with the under 13 crowd, and it's dragging parents back into messenger. in 5 years that under 13 crowd will be the tip of the social media spear.

cam_wmh

It's a social media thread, so I don't want to get into why Apple is the worst. But;
  • planned obsolescence
    borderline theft of intellectual property
    locking other platforms out in an effort to create mini-monopolies
    bad corporate citizenship
    over priced

If you think you data is somehow magically safe because your on the apple platform your dreaming, and to the extent that they were less virus laden in the early 2000's while building that reputation, that's because nobody gave a crap about apple back then, not be cause they were more secure. It's been a long time since there was a noticeable difference in security, most it probably comes down to how many stupid game apps you download from foreign publishers.
Again.

Any evidence to support your argument? I would love to read it.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #442
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Again.

Any evidence to support your argument? I would love to read it.
Well the fappening comes to mind. Honestly. Nothing is hack proof as far as consumer electronics go. Its only a matter of when.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #443
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Well the fappening comes to mind. Honestly. Nothing is hack proof as far as consumer electronics go. Its only a matter of when.
That was a phishing attack; the Achilles' heel was not the technology, it was the person using it.

Apple is certainly not infallible, but if I'm entrusting my data and privacy to an entity and I can pick between Google or Apple, I'm picking Apple.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #444
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The question was "Is Apple sharing data, and selling it like the other platforms?" and the answer to that is no.

Specifically to address the underlined, apparently they do. Further, every time I copy something from one app (say, a piece of text from a Safari webpage) and paste it into another (eg: e-mail body in the Outlook app), I get a small notification at the top of the screen alerting me that the app in question pasted data from another app. If you have an app like a web browser that will allow you to 'paste and go' by determining if the text in the clipboard is a web address, iOS will alert you as soon as you click in the text field that kicks off the check.

If I'm wilfully using an Apple product and they're using pseudononimized data to make their product better for me, that's one thing. If they're turning around and selling that data / access to said data to third-parties, that's a different scenario entirely.
If they were really dedicated to user privacy, they could have been doing much more, much earlier. They could still be doing much more now.

No doubt, Apple views user privacy as a value wedge to bring people into their ecosystem or keep them in, and once you're in all future hardware purchase decisions start to become shaped and controlled by Apple. It's a different model, but it's not virtuously focused on users being free from control. Control is just via another mechanism.

Anyways, exposure still exists when people install and use third party apps.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:52 PM   #445
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Anyways, exposure still exists when people install and use third party apps.
I have the solution for that.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #446
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have the solution for that.

That's kind of the point that was being made. You can't play in the pool without getting wet. If you're active in the modern digital world, you don't have privacy.

The steps that need to be taken to really have anonymity online are pretty extreme.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #447
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, it's not really the device that's collecting most of the user data, it's the apps. If you use an iPhone but install Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, or any data that tracks your location, or use services like Gmail, Google searches, etc. on it, you essentially have no privacy and are having your data sold off. Apple is a little better about handling permissions and whatnot, but the apps most people load onto their phones are what are collecting their data.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #448
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

what I like is when home depot sells your data, spend a little too long in the welding aisle and next thing you know you get welding ads on your facebook page as Home Depot is geocaching your actual store browsing history
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #449
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
what I like is when home depot sells your data, spend a little too long in the welding aisle and next thing you know you get welding ads on your facebook page as Home Depot is geocaching your actual store browsing history
Maybe don’t use their wifi, that’s the tradeoff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #450
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess what it comes down to is a value thing, I don't really believe there is value in Apples "increased" privacy for me. Where I feel there is a great deal of value in not being beholden to their ecosystem, paying less money, and having hardware with the potential to function beyond 7 years.

It's entirely possible there are people out there who get value out of being in that eco system, but if you have facebook, taptalk, tiktok, chrome, two dots................................... installed or your logging into the coffee shops wifi, I doubt you're one of them.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:43 PM   #451
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This thread sucks.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #452
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe don’t use their wifi, that’s the tradeoff.
I dont
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #453
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...uspension-from

Quote:
Banning President Donald Trump from Twitter and Facebook sent online misinformation, specifically false assertions of election fraud, plummeting, new research says. Zignal Labs, a San Francisco digital analytics company, found misinformation about election fraud fell by 73 percent, The Washington Post reports. Mentions of election fraud dropped from 2.5 million to 688,000 in the week after Trump’s Jan. 8 ban from the social networks, according to the company.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 01:42 AM   #454
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Too little too late. The seeds been planted and the crop is being harvested. It's nice the traffic has slowed down put the info has already been hammered into the head of these people. A terrorist attack has happened after months of inaction of these companies and I believe that more incidents will continue to take place because of slow reactions.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 01-17-2021 at 01:45 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #455
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Where I feel there is a great deal of value in not being beholden to their ecosystem, paying less money, and having hardware with the potential to function beyond 7 years.
We’re really getting off topic here, but we have had this discussion in the Apple thread (Tech forum) already, and the idea that Apple cuts the lifespan of their devices short relative to Android competitors is a common misconception. ~7 years ago, the iPhone 5C and 5S came out. The last update for the iPhone 5S was January 11, 2021. Comparing to a well-known Android flagship, the Galaxy S-series, the S5 also came out roughly seven years ago (as of March this year in fact). It stopped getting Android updates in 2017.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #456
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Deplatforming always works.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #457
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm happy the de-platforming seems to have worked. It will be really nice if the positive impacts outweigh the backfire effect.

Quote:
We’re really getting off topic here, but we have had this discussion in the Apple thread (Tech forum) already, and the idea that Apple cuts the lifespan of their devices short relative to Android competitors is a common misconception. ~7 years ago, the iPhone 5C and 5S came out. The last update for the iPhone 5S was January 11, 2021. Comparing to a well-known Android flagship, the Galaxy S-series, the S5 also came out roughly seven years ago (as of March this year in fact). It stopped getting Android updates in 2017.
It's not really about the updates, it's about the removal of functionality.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #458
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing to remember about this deplatforming is that the white supremacist, Q-Anon, and other pro-Trump discussions will move to darker corners of the internet and encrypted apps, where the discussions will be much harder to track and keep tabs on. I'm not against Twitter's decision to ban Trump and Q-Anon content, I'm just saying there are unintended side effects to doing it.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:09 PM   #459
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
The thing to remember about this deplatforming is that the white supremacist, Q-Anon, and other pro-Trump discussions will move to darker corners of the internet and encrypted apps, where the discussions will be much harder to track and keep tabs on. I'm not against Twitter's decision to ban Trump and Q-Anon content, I'm just saying there are unintended side effects to doing it.

I'm willing to bet that the effects of having these people reaching and recruiting millions on the biggest social media platforms was far, far, far more damaging than them being harder to track on the far reaches of the internet in small groups. .
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #460
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think pushing the crazies to the dark corners of the internet will pose much of a challenge for the FBI and NSA.

It will be much harder for Jethro in his single wide trailer to find his kindred spirits. And misguided edge Lords living in their Mom's basement will be less likely to stumble across a neo nazi group.

So IMO, a net positive, but like you said, not a perfect solution.
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post: