Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #241
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You honestly come across as a bit of a repressed, buttoned up, dork
Wow, I thought we were just kidding around but thanks for the feedback.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #242
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Ya, Sunshine's the best for boarders!
Quote:
^ that video never gets old

...then again, neither does making fun of snowboarders
Quote:
Lol this guy begs to differ. Unless you think snowboarder bros doing sick jumps and shredding the gnar with their boyz in the quest for radical stoke are "steezy"

TannerHallorNateBozung.jpeg

——

Quote:
Wow, I thought we were just kidding around but thanks for the feedback.
Maybe after the first or second, or even third chirp. But, when you’re unrelenting, surely you’re self aware.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #243
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry to drag you into this Sliver, as I enjoyed our exchange.

@cam_wmh: if you single out one person's comments, sure it looks like being unrelenting. But if you look back on the thread I'd say it's proportional and all in good fun.

Quote:
Hey I think I saw you in this video.
Quote:
We'll take our lumps. Pretty hard to be cooler than the guys doing spread eagles and daffys all over the place.
Quote:
BTW, I think I saw Flames0910 and his buddies at Louise last week:
Quote:
The insult is ski ballet is the cheesiest looking thing humans have ever invented just behind spread eagles and daffys.
Not sure how you can justify your choice to sling personal attacks however as that's not even close to proportional. Maybe there's more than one person in this thread who could be a little more self aware?

---

ANYWHO, I'm sure the mods would appreciate everybody moving on. So in that spirit, it's the weekend — who's getting out to the mountains?

Last edited by Flames0910; 01-08-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #244
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Drag away...I live for internet squabbles hah.

Heading to Louise in the morning with the boards already on the roof and the van packed. I'm going to actually try to get first tracks for once this season. I've been weirdly enjoying speed blasts down Juniper Jungle. There are these great floaters near the bottom (maybe three of them) that you can totally fly off. I want to run those a couple of times while they're still freshly groomed.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 05:09 PM   #245
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Drag away...I live for internet squabbles hah.

Heading to Louise in the morning with the boards already on the roof and the van packed. I'm going to actually try to get first tracks for once this season. I've been weirdly enjoying speed blasts down Juniper Jungle. There are these great floaters near the bottom (maybe three of them) that you can totally fly off. I want to run those a couple of times while they're still freshly groomed.
Say his name and he appears!

Nothing wrong with a good groomer ripper! At Aspen (and I think out east too) they do "nooner groomers" and people line up at a single fenced off run for fresh corduroy like the rest of us do for a powder lap. It's hilarious but also so much fun.

Friends and I are hitting Hwy 93 for some backcountry laps tomorrow but we've been so spoiled over the holiday break. Despite what you'd think, backcountry is often pretty hit or miss with sun crusts, melt/freeze, heavy wind effect, tracked out moguls on light skis, etc etc. Plus the crowds this year... Still, somehow we milked that one pre-Christmas storm for fresh tracks everywhere we went, right through till Jan 4. Some of the best skiing I've ever had right in our back yard. Hoping that luck continues in 2021 because I think I've forgotten how to ski groomers

Last edited by Flames0910; 01-08-2021 at 05:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #246
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strangely, there was a lot of fresh in certain spots yesterday despite not much new snow for the last little while. The wind just did a job for us. Boot deep in Boundary Bowl and Brownshirt, certain spots in West Bowl and even a little in the gullies. One of the deepest lines I got was on summit front side. A few people were dropping into Upper 5 on the Paradise side.

Today was nice too, sunny and clear although no more fresh tracks to be found really, unless you hunted for them in West Bowl.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #247
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We just had a ton of skis dropped off by the Rossignol Rep. These were his demo skis and most are hardly used, some brand new. Great deals if you are looking.

http://www.sportsrent.ca/skis-for-sale/

Remove this if it's not appropriate. I just wanted to share here.
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slots881 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #248
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What's the theory behind some (all?) shops not wanting to adjust ski bindings that are 10+ years old?

Not questioning it, just curious.

I have a few pairs of kids skis/boots which were handed down to my kids from older niece's and nephews. When I was calling around to get prices /availability this was one of the questions posed to me which was a surprise.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:10 PM   #249
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's mostly liability. After a certain amount of time the binding manufacturers remove bindings from their indemnified (safe) list. They say that after an amount of time the mechanisms/springs could not function properly and potentially the binding would not work appropriately.
*They could by all means be perfectly fine, but shops wouldn't be covered by the manufacturers liability on the bindings if they did any work to them and they did end up failing.

So, two fold:
Binding manufacturers don't want skiers on bindings that might not function properly.
Shops don't want to work on bindings that they aren't covered for liability on.

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
What's the theory behind some (all?) shops not wanting to adjust ski bindings that are 10+ years old?

Not questioning it, just curious.

I have a few pairs of kids skis/boots which were handed down to my kids from older niece's and nephews. When I was calling around to get prices /availability this was one of the questions posed to me which was a surprise.

Last edited by slots881; 01-11-2021 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added more
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:33 PM   #250
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cool, thanks.

I had no idea shops could be liable for tune-ups on skis. I guess it does make sense though.

You learn something new every day!
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:45 PM   #251
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Has anyone been to Sunshine during a weekday recently? Just curious how busy it is and how gondola lines are - I’m hesitant to roll the dice for Sunshine on the weekends but wondering if weekday powder days will fill the parking lot or not.
delayedreflex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #252
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Fernie was great this AM. 10-15 overnight, everything open. Weather got warm and it was wet as hell down low, but it was great up top. Lapped out concussion, Easter bowl, KC chutes and bear chutes by lunch.

Hardly anyone on mountain either. Maybe 8 people in line at the chairs max, nothing getting ski’d off particularly fast either.

I’m a little surprised there wasn’t more people out.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:49 PM   #253
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

posted in buy and sell but selling brand new in box Zeal beacon goggles. Bought for Son but they don't fit right with his helmet. Check out the buy page for details
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #254
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunshine was a blast today. Lots of fresh tracks to be had in the morning then got super windy around lunch and they shut a few chairs down. Probably snowed until one or two and then it calmed down for the afternoon and the sun came out. Overall a great day of riding even though I had to swap my lenses about 4 times!
Old 01-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #255
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Saturday at Louise was god awful. So cold, the snow was so crusty with hidden little spots of ice, and the lines were fairly long. Even West Bowl couldn't save things...just a garbage day all around.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #256
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunday was pretty okay. Morning was much the same, maybe not quite as cold as Saturday was reported to be, but still flat light and crusty. But the afternoon, the sun came back and I got some good lines off summit, including some soft snow in the gullies. And there were no lines whatsoever, presumably because everyone had heard how cold it was the day before and were expecting the same situation.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #257
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Sunday was pretty okay. Morning was much the same, maybe not quite as cold as Saturday was reported to be, but still flat light and crusty. But the afternoon, the sun came back and I got some good lines off summit, including some soft snow in the gullies. And there were no lines whatsoever, presumably because everyone had heard how cold it was the day before and were expecting the same situation.
Yeah, my friend texted me a photo on Sunday and the lines were non-existent. Sounds like you picked the right day.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #258
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Yep. Fernie has been absolute garbage the last week. Definitely need another 20-30cms to bury the rain crust that runs almost to the top of Timber.

Just picked up a new set of skis as well which I'm pretty stoked to try out. Nabbed a pair of Lib Tech Wunderstick 118's with Dynafit ST12 touring bindings for $1000. Should come in handy if I ever decide to tour instead of sled somewhere.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #259
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Backcountry was similar too. We were out a couple times over the weekend (it was so cold) and I've never seen such as a bulletproof crust as we saw on Friday. Skis didn't penetrate the top layer, most of the snow was blown off windward ridges so we had to bootpack, and even then our boots barely put a dent in it. Just a solid sheet of hardened snow / ice just about anywhere that's exposed to the wind.

We did find some decent skiing on the SW side of 93 on Sunday but it was still pretty wind affected. One of my skis submarine'd and got stuck underneath the crust while bombing down on our final lap. Bindings didn't release so I'm nursing my knee a bit today.

Not seeing much snow in the forecast either, so hope ya'll can work on your snow dances this week...

Last edited by Flames0910; 01-25-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:30 AM   #260
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, I echo what you previous fellas shared. Wind blown, and tracked out.

Gonna check out Big White today.

Last edited by cam_wmh; 01-26-2021 at 09:33 AM.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote