Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #61
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Best of luck to buff.

Came in here to disparage the posters who don't want to make a play for Laine- not that I think it's realistic that he's traded, but give your head a firm shake. Laine would be amazing.

Hamonic+Frolik (salary) + any prospect + 1st is where I would start.
Bizarre take in this thread.

That starting point isn’t even in the realm of possibility anyway. The Jets need Laine to sign a bridge deal it is the only thing that makes sense unless a team wants to bet he is the best scorer of his generation and offer him $11M+ long term
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #62
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Best of luck to buff.

Came in here to disparage the posters who don't want to make a play for Laine- not that I think it's realistic that he's traded, but give your head a firm shake. Laine would be amazing.

Laine (a) scored 50 points last year and (b) is looking to be a holdout. He's -24 on a team where most players are pluses and the next lowest is -12. And now he seems to complain about ice time and linemates.

Hamonic is a valuable and rare commodity on a great contract. Frolik is a gamer and plays RW which is Calgary's thinnest position. And "any" prospect as in Pelletier? And a first?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #63
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Best of luck to buff.

how about Tkachuk then, 1 for 1.

you don't seem that attached to him to the point you think he's greedy and it's not a big deal if he sits out a year.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #64
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Best of luck to buff.

UFA in 1 year + UFA in 1 year + someone from the 31st ranked prospect pool + a pick probably in the 20s. Where you would start would get you hung up on and your phone number blocked.

Never mind the fact that we'd still have to figure out how to sign both him and a far more valuable Tkachuk.

The reason I don't find much point in engaging in trade fantasies is the fact that 99% of them are junk.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #65
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
how about Tkachuk then, 1 for 1.

you don't seem that attached to him to the point you think he's greedy and it's not a big deal if he sits out a year.

Not a chance. I’d rather have Tkachuk any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #66
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laine's time in Winnipeg is done, imo.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #67
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Laine's time in Winnipeg is done, imo.
If so, I wonder what the Flames could trade to get him.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #68
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
If so, I wonder what the Flames could trade to get him.
We can’t afford Tkachuk so how can we afford Laine?

The Jets would probably ask for Lindholm + Andersson +
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #69
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading for Laine would have to include salary, as would the proposal from almost every team.

Frolik (for salary, and he's only 1 yr, so it is palatable)
Hamonic (Jets need D if Buff is done, well, even if he isn't)
1st, 2nd

That is $8.157 in cap space

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Lindholm - Laine
Dube - Backlund - Jankowski/Czarnik
Mangiapane - Ryan - Lucic

LW: Bennett, Dube and Mangiapane are pretty interchangeable with those lines, just go with whichever combos work.

Jankowski doesn't fit, but you can look to trade him for a decent two-way RW (lots of teams could use help at C). Then you have 4 really solid lines. The biggest problem is on D, it would be REALLY thin until Valimaki gets back.

Giving Tkachuk and Laine $8M each would give this lineup a cap of $80.8M (with Valimaki on LTIR)

I know that the Jets wouldn't go for that, but I couldn't come up with anything else that made sense for the Flames.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #70
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Trading for Laine would have to include salary, as would the proposal from almost every team.

1st, 2nd

LW: Bennett, Dube and Mangiapane are pretty interchangeable with those lines, just go with whichever combos work.

Jankowski doesn't fit, but you can look to trade him for a decent two-way RW (lots of teams could use help at C). Then you have 4 really solid lines. The biggest problem is on D, it would be REALLY thin until Valimaki gets back.

Giving Tkachuk and Laine $8M each would give this lineup a cap of $80.8M (with Valimaki on LTIR)

I know that the Jets wouldn't go for that, but I couldn't come up with anything else that made sense for the Flames.
Laine has to be on the 1st line. He was complaining only a few days ago about being on the 2nd line. He said he could do better if he played with 1st line talent and only in Winnipeg is he on the 2nd line.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #71
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laine is an amazing shooter, and very possibly one of the best in the league.

He is also a defensive liability, and a bit of a floater.

In the long term, Kyle Conner might actually have more real value in terms of winning a cup.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #72
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Laine has to be on the 1st line. He was complaining only a few days ago about being on the 2nd line. He said he could do better if he played with 1st line talent and only in Winnipeg is he on the 2nd line.
Well, players don't decide what line they are on, coaches do
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #73
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, players don't decide what line they are on, coaches do
True, but if he's not 1st line on his new team he won't be very happy. It may not go well for the new team to have an unhappy star player.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #74
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
True, but if he's not 1st line on his new team he won't be very happy. It may not go well for the new team to have an unhappy star player.
If this ends up being the case, then I suspect that Winnipeg will struggle to find a willing trading partner for an unhappy player who wants to dictate his usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #75
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

1st, 2nd

I don't quite get those numbers. Even with LTIR for Valimaki that 21 man lineup with Tkachuk and Laine both at 8M gets me just over the cap of 81.5. I had to send down Czarnik in favour of Quine.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #76
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, but the way to deal with an issue like this is not to just kowtow to the player. You play him where it is appropriate and explain to him that he gets over it, or his time in the NHL might be shorter than he thinks.

Also, if we were to acquire him, it might then turn out that he works well on the top line - who knows? So why have this debate?
Old 09-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #77
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laine had some really serious attitude problems in junior, bad enough that they threatened to derail his career before it even started. He got over them for a while, saw a sports therapist, said all the right things in public. But that was before he scored a ton of goals in the NHL.

Let's also remember there were about 40 better goalscorers in the league last season.

I would love a focused Laine on the team, he's a fantastic goal scorer when he's on. But as things are now, I worry Laine's ego would also become a serious disruption.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #78
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't quite get those numbers. Even with LTIR for Valimaki that 21 man lineup with Tkachuk and Laine both at 8M gets me just over the cap of 81.5. I had to send down Czarnik in favour of Quine.
You are correct. For some reason I had my speadsheet subtracting one number out. In order for the cap to work with a 23 man roster, Tkachuk and Laine would have to total no more than $14.2M. Or we would have to gain salary room in another trade (Jankowski).

Or (preferably) bridge Laine and get Tkachuk done for term.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #79
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Laine had some really serious attitude problems in junior, bad enough that they threatened to derail his career before it even started. He got over them for a while, saw a sports therapist, said all the right things in public. But that was before he scored a ton of goals in the NHL.

Let's also remember there were about 40 better goalscorers in the league last season.

I would love a focused Laine on the team, he's a fantastic goal scorer when he's on. But as things are now, I worry Laine's ego would also become a serious disruption.
There are definitely some pretty concerning warning signs. But he is 21, and there is a pretty good chance he smartens up.

But that is why I think he needs a bridge deal - too much risk, at this point, to throw the bank at him.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #80
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't imagine we would be in the running for Laine unless we are moving out a core forward
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote