Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2023, 11:34 AM   #1801
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yo Fuzz, I'mma let you finish, but ^that link^ is full of bull####.

The main danger for the human eye exposed to blue light comes from the electromagnetic radiation in wavelength between 400 and 450nm. The eye can perceive photopic luminous flux while the blue light emits radiometric radiance.

Lolololol, that's a bunch of horse####. "Radiometric radiance" in the 400-450 nm wavelengths is luminance... The whole thing is just gobbledy#### bafflegab.

Last edited by timun; 11-03-2023 at 11:37 AM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2023, 11:56 AM   #1802
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, fair enough, poor article for an example! I do find it much less tiring on my eyes though. I presume that's mostly due to reflected light vs direct, but I'm not an optogoligist.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 08:25 PM   #1803
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My receiver started to develop an issue recently where the audio won't work sometimes after I change the tv channel on the set top box. The video plays but there is no audio. If I change the channel again I get a pop from the speakers and audio returns. It seems to be starting to get more frequent. Anyone know what the issue is and whether it could be a cheap fix at a shop or even at home on my own? Or should I just start keeping an eye open for receiver sales to find a replacement?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 10:14 AM   #1804
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m a bit of a minimalist so I opted to go with a Sonos setup and absolutely love it.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:39 AM   #1805
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I’m a bit of a minimalist so I opted to go with a Sonos setup and absolutely love it.
Could not agree more. I made the change to Sonos about 3 years ago and I would never go back to a regular system. No more hdmi handshake issues, no more dynamic range blackouts for 1-2 seconds, no more pops through speakers etc. And the biggest thing is I have stopped adjusting every single setting for every movie and on a daily basis to get the best sound.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:17 PM   #1806
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
My receiver started to develop an issue recently where the audio won't work sometimes after I change the tv channel on the set top box. The video plays but there is no audio. If I change the channel again I get a pop from the speakers and audio returns. It seems to be starting to get more frequent. Anyone know what the issue is and whether it could be a cheap fix at a shop or even at home on my own? Or should I just start keeping an eye open for receiver sales to find a replacement?
Could it be a cable issue? Check for loose cables or damaged cables?

Did you try resetting the receiver to factor settings to see if it addresses the issue?

My Vizio soundbar is starting to do that for the back speakers. I was thinking to reset it to factory settings to see if it helps and if not, I might spend a few bucks on replacement wires before considering a replacement soundbar. Soundbars are just too convenient for family room TV scenarios where everyone else is playing with the remotes and occasionally screw up the settings.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 01:04 PM   #1807
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Could it be a cable issue? Check for loose cables or damaged cables?

Did you try resetting the receiver to factor settings to see if it addresses the issue?

My Vizio soundbar is starting to do that for the back speakers. I was thinking to reset it to factory settings to see if it helps and if not, I might spend a few bucks on replacement wires before considering a replacement soundbar. Soundbars are just too convenient for family room TV scenarios where everyone else is playing with the remotes and occasionally screw up the settings.
I can try different HDMI cables to see if anything changes. I don't necessarily want to do a factory reset because I don't want to send a half day restoring everything afterwards.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 05:11 PM   #1808
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I can try different HDMI cables to see if anything changes. I don't necessarily want to do a factory reset because I don't want to send a half day restoring everything afterwards.
I meant to give that a try just prior to spending a bunch of money on replacing the receiver.

I'd suggest checking both the input and output cables.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:02 PM   #1809
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I have a Samsung soundbar connected to my Sony TV in the downstairs living room, and it seems like it's a 50/50 shot whether it will power on via the HDMI CEC connection when I turn the TV on, I end up having to dig out the Samsung remote to power it on manually a lot of the time. Is there any way to make the CEC power on more reliable?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 11:27 AM   #1810
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on my experiences, HDMI CEC is an absolute gong show. Nowhere near as reliable as it should. Too many players trying to roll out their own version. I really wish it was standardized.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 03:44 PM   #1811
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ironically, I was updating the firmware on a Marantz receiver and now it won't display the menus on the TV. Strange, what's a good place to get a repair perhaps?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:18 PM   #1812
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ironically, I was updating the firmware on a Marantz receiver and now it won't display the menus on the TV. Strange, what's a good place to get a repair perhaps?
Have you tried running it through a different output to the TV? Perhaps after the update it defaults to only composite out or something, or only HDMI1.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:01 PM   #1813
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you tried running it through a different output to the TV? Perhaps after the update it defaults to only composite out or something, or only HDMI1.
Yeah, I tried some various monitors, cables and the all outputs even the old school component out. I'm kinda at the end of what I can figure out lol.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 11:22 AM   #1814
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if you have already Googled it as well, I'm all out of ideas too!
Old 03-28-2024, 12:24 PM   #1815
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Yeah, I tried some various monitors, cables and the all outputs even the old school component out. I'm kinda at the end of what I can figure out lol.
Maybe this might help?
Post in thread 'Marantz NR1711 no set up menu on TV' https://www.avforums.com/threads/mar.../post-29317605
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote