Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #501
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought the game last night. I love playing tank characters so I made a Sith Warrior Juggernaut. Level 11 right now and just finished Korriban before going to bed (way too late for a work night mind you!)

Which professions would you guys/girls recommend for a tank? I was thinking maybe like an Armormech / Scavenging / Underworld Trading combo.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #502
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Bought the game last night. I love playing tank characters so I made a Sith Warrior Juggernaut. Level 11 right now and just finished Korriban before going to bed (way too late for a work night mind you!)

Which professions would you guys/girls recommend for a tank? I was thinking maybe like an Armormech / Scavenging / Underworld Trading combo.
i went with that combo for my Commando and it's working quite nicely so far, but for a tank i'd almost go with Biochem. in the higher levels you can make purple medpaks and stims that are re-useable with a timer, very valuable. cybertech is also great for being able to make armor mods (you can take any orange piece of equipment and make it high level by swapping out the mods)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #503
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post

Holy crap you preogressed 11 levels and finished Korriban in one night, did you play for like 6 hours?

Armormech and scavenging are good, I didn't get much out of underworld training. Slicing or treasure hunting bring the best instant dollar rewards.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #504
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Holy crap you preogressed 11 levels and finished Korriban in one night, did you play for like 6 hours?

Armormech and scavenging are good, I didn't get much out of underworld training. Slicing or treasure hunting bring the best instant dollar rewards.
6 hours sounds pretty much bang on. I think I played from 7:30 or so until 1:30 am. I was playing with two friends though who made new alt characters to level up with me. I think this sped it up a lot as we could kill most enemies in under 2 seconds and they knew exactly where they were going.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #505
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

you need underworld trading stuff for the blue and purple armormech stuff (if you reverse engineer a green, you have a chance to learn the blue schematic for that item, and a purple schematic if you RE a blue item). the underworld stuff also sells for fairly high dollar amounts on the auction house, so even if you don't use the mats you can still make a lot of money with it
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #506
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Purchased the digital deluxe edition, downloading now...

Is daragon trail the CP server of choice?
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #507
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Seems like it, its been pretty stable in terms of login times, the longest I've had to wait is about 10 minutes, most of the time I get on right away.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #508
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
Purchased the digital deluxe edition, downloading now...

Is daragon trail the CP server of choice?
that's where my Sith characters are, though i'm playing with a group of Calgary friends as Republic so we put those on The Bastion server
Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #509
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on your playstyle, I guess. I have a lvl 10 or 11 character of every class now. It takes me an average of 3 hours per toon get them that high. What I do is turn on subtitles, and read instead of using the voiceovers, unless I feel like listening to them. I can read very, very quickly, so it speeds things up quite a bit when you start "spacing" through the voice acting scenes.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #510
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

You get a lot of experience for pvp. 11000 first match bonus, 8700 normal. Took just under 10 mins.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #511
Mav
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Swapped on of my 1gb ram chips out for a 2gb and I can at least run the game now, I couldn't find the other port (apparently on some dell laptops you have to remove the keyboard to access it, but I had some difficultly doing this) so I just changed the 1 for now.

I still have some lag when I try entering a chat scene, entering/exiting rest areas or high traffic areas but at least I can play.

Started a Bounty Hunter on Daragon Trail, name is Spillex if anyone wants to add me.

Seems like fun so far, I really like how all the quests actually feel like you're accomplishing something, not just gathering 10 wolf turds or 10 owl teeth or whatever.

Back in I go.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #512
Mav
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Made it to level 9, have maybe half of the Hutta map covered. The social aspect to the game is interesting, not sure how the social points are going to be used but I like that the conversations count for something.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #513
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Made it to level 9, have maybe half of the Hutta map covered. The social aspect to the game is interesting, not sure how the social points are going to be used but I like that the conversations count for something.
it's really quite satisfying when you're the only dark sided person in your group, you win the roll, and the others watch in horror as you decide to blow up an orphanage or something
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #514
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
it's really quite satisfying when you're the only dark sided person in your group, you win the roll, and the others watch in horror as you decide to blow up an orphanage or something
I've been playing a republic jedi consular recently - and have been dutifully picking all the "good" options. Good lord those choices are boring. I'm tempted to start doing all the dark side options for fun. Will kinda suck to have my companions hating on me though.

The republic side of my server seems less populated, at least at lower levels. Took me waay longer to find a group for the first flashpoint (not helped by the terrible LFG system). Did everyone go all evil and join the empire?
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #515
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I've been playing a republic jedi consular recently - and have been dutifully picking all the "good" options. Good lord those choices are boring. I'm tempted to start doing all the dark side options for fun. Will kinda suck to have my companions hating on me though.

The republic side of my server seems less populated, at least at lower levels. Took me waay longer to find a group for the first flashpoint (not helped by the terrible LFG system). Did everyone go all evil and join the empire?
Yeah, they did.

I play repub, and usually around prime time there's about 80-90 people on the republic fleet. Flip to empire, there's at least 220 or so.

Empire basically has better everything though - better looks, better gear, better classes (every mirrored ability has a slight advantage to empire), and just more people that want to be the "bad guys". It makes perfect sense.

I was smart though and rolled on a PvE server where the imbalance is already considered to be not as bad. I can't imagine how bad it'd be on a PvP server.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #516
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Yeah, they did.

I play repub, and usually around prime time there's about 80-90 people on the republic fleet. Flip to empire, there's at least 220 or so.

Empire basically has better everything though - better looks, better gear, better classes (every mirrored ability has a slight advantage to empire), and just more people that want to be the "bad guys". It makes perfect sense.

I was smart though and rolled on a PvE server where the imbalance is already considered to be not as bad. I can't imagine how bad it'd be on a PvP server.
I don't know... I'm level 26 and I haven't even encountered one person on the republic side yet in an open field, let alone had a pvp match with them. Yes, I'm on a PvP server.

Just from my experience with the PvP instances (only PvP I've done) - my god, it needs a LOT of work.

Basically if you're at a level below 50, you get a 'stat boost', to lvl 50, but still you aren't wearing close to lvl 50 type gear, so you still get rocked. Still fun, but it is an imbalanced gong show.

Not to mention you really have no idea what you're supposed to do in it. The objective explainations are very suspect and you kind of have to learn your way.

Still fun though.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #517
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I don't know... I'm level 26 and I haven't even encountered one person on the republic side yet in an open field, let alone had a pvp match with them. Yes, I'm on a PvP server.

Just from my experience with the PvP instances (only PvP I've done) - my god, it needs a LOT of work.

Basically if you're at a level below 50, you get a 'stat boost', to lvl 50, but still you aren't wearing close to lvl 50 type gear, so you still get rocked. Still fun, but it is an imbalanced gong show.

Not to mention you really have no idea what you're supposed to do in it. The objective explainations are very suspect and you kind of have to learn your way.

Still fun though.
Tatooine was the first place I started to encounter the other side in open world. A bunch of them decided to take over one of our towns for a while

Now that there are a whole bunch of lvl 50's they are going to be placed in their own bracket. As far as I know all the lower levels will still get the boost but they won't be facing geared up lvl 50's anymore.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #518
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Yeah, they did.

I find this really hard to believe - unless you mean things like the instant stun spell for Sorcerors versus the Jedi equivalent. Noticed the Sith one is instant, but the Jedi version has a slight delay (rock hovers, then strikes). But I wouldn't call the Sith version better - I kinda like the delay, feels more involving then a simple tap and zap.

Honestly, I don't see why they can't make factions an optional part of these games. Why the heck hasn't anyone iterated on the EQ2 concept of moving between the factions? It's entirely reasonable for an Imperial officer to get disgusted with life and join the republic.

A Sith to Jedi quest line would be really interesting too - hope that's in Bioware's battleplan.

Last edited by llama64; 01-06-2012 at 01:14 PM.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #519
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I find this really hard to believe - unless you mean things like the instant stun spell for Sorcerors versus the Jedi equivalent. Noticed the Sith one is instant, but the Jedi version has a slight delay (rock hovers, then strikes). But I wouldn't call the Sith version better - I kinda like the delay, feels more involving then a simple tap and zap.

Honestly, I don't see why they can't make factions an optional part of these games. Why the heck hasn't anyone iterated on the EQ2 concept of moving between the factions? It's entirely reasonable for an Imperial officer to get disgusted with life and join the republic.

A Sith to Jedi quest line would be really interesting too - hope that's in Bioware's battleplan.
Jedi to Sith would be more realistic.

Us Sith just get things done, you know a couple of guys ruling the universe, and if we you know do it once in a while its no big deal really.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #520
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Jedi to Sith would be more realistic.

Us Sith just get things done, you know a couple of guys ruling the universe, and if we you know do it once in a while its no big deal really.
sith or dark jedi returning to the light side of the force happens all the time in the SW universe. i imagine this will be something that Bioware does in the future, the mechanic would work even better than WoW's faction transfering