Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #401
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just hit level 12 as a Sith Warrior, but I seem to be fairly neutral through no thought of my own.

Who knew that mass murdering people quickly instead of slowly would give me light side point.

There are some pretty monsterous opponents in the game, I was carving through one mission killing the crap out of everyone and I ran into some girl in a tower and she pretty well pushed my stool in if you know what I'm saying.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #402
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Are CP people playing this game together at all? Or has everyone just been doing their own thing?

Thinking of picking it up this week.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #403
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've been doin my own thing but I'm on the same server as a bunch of other CP'ers

Old 12-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #404
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've been doin my own thing but I'm on the same server as a bunch of other CP'ers
Same. Haven't been playing that server much the last few days, since it's generally full or very heavy, though. My alt on a less populated server has become my main.

Last edited by Superfraggle; 12-27-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #405
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The Old Republic is the fastest growing MMO ever

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011...n_1171028.html

so does that worry Blizzard at all? their next WoW expansion looks pretty sad (kung fu pandas? really?) and the graphics engine is getting pretty long in the tooth. do they try to throw more money into WoW to compete against TOR, or do they invest more into their next MMO that's already in development?

either way i'm pretty happy, i was a bit worried about TOR's longevity considering how many other games have tried to take on WoW and failed. but with such strong individual stories to play though and probably the deepest lore to draw upon of any MMO, i think Bioware has a keeper here
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #406
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

so does that worry Blizzard at all? their next WoW expansion looks pretty sad (kung fu pandas? really?) and the graphics engine is getting pretty long in the tooth. do they try to throw more money into WoW to compete against TOR, or do they invest more into their next MMO that's already in development?

either way i'm pretty happy, i was a bit worried about TOR's longevity considering how many other games have tried to take on WoW and failed. but with such strong individual stories to play though and probably the deepest lore to draw upon of any MMO, i think Bioware has a keeper here
The game itself is just massive, I've been playing for over a week and I don't even think I'm a quarter way through the world of Drummond Kas and the missions are getting progressively harder.

I finally killed a rival Sith Lord and put his son in his mask, and I did it so that I could plow the dead sith lords wife.

And with 8 different story lines and more content coming this is a great investment.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #407
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

#### it. I'm going to buy a new PC today. I want to explore Drummond Kas!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 AM   #408
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

The question is if SWTOR is going to have an active players from a year from now... Warhammer/DC Universe Online had alright releases but now the servers are basically empty. I believe Blizzard are already making another MMO - 'Titans' I think it's called? And yeah WoW is just gets old, and never seems to excite veteran MMO players.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #409
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Blizzard said years ago they were developing the next best thing in MMO's because if they didn't, someone else would. They understand that every game, despite its popularity, has a shelf life. Some last 1 year (WAR) some last 5-6 years (UO, AC) and some last 10 (WOW) at the top of their game. They admit this and are trying to adapt to it, which puts them above any other MMO company currently out there. (Unless you want to make the argument well EA owns Mythic which is technically part of both companies so TOR was their way of developing 'the next best thing". Valid argument)

As for WoW not exciting veteran MMO players. I started UO in 97, and I still find that WoW has the best PvP among any other game hands down. Maybe besides IPY, but with EasyUO scripts the PvP in any UO version has become a cheaters paradise.

I haven't tried TOR yet and have been waiting to hear feedback on the PvP. So far what I read it is pretty darn good, which peaks my interest.

But WOW is far from a dieing game, and will still be successful for years to come even with this supposive crappy looking x pac, that I actually think has a really cool class concept.

Sorry not trying to derail thread just wanted to talk about some of your points.

The reason why Blizzard has been such a dominant company and has such a great product is because they are willing to admit when they are wrong. They will take hundreds of hours of employee work and scrap it if they feel there is a better option. Lots of MMO's over the years cling to dieing, out dated or just inferior systems based on the resources it took to build it.

They adapt, and adapt well. I think Bioware will be just as good at this if not better, and as long as EA keeps giving them their freedome this MMO will smash records and stay competitive for many years. Bioware has the same advantage that Blizzard had, stand on the shoulders of a great game before you and build on its weaknesses.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 12-28-2011 at 10:08 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #410
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

hahaha I totally just nailed a chick in my story line.

Spoiler for Inquisitors on Nar Shaddaa
Spoiler!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #411
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The game itself is just massive, I've been playing for over a week and I don't even think I'm a quarter way through the world of Drummond Kas and the missions are getting progressively harder.

I finally killed a rival Sith Lord and put his son in his mask, and I did it so that I could plow the dead sith lords wife.

And with 8 different story lines and more content coming this is a great investment.
Too funny I know the part your referring to as I played a warrior too... I just killed them both though. I think that was the dark path, but know I'm P/O'ed I didn't get laid - lol.

level 29 last night almost got to my legacy name.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #412
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why must TOR be a "WoW killer"? Can't both exist?

Gonna give TOR a try later this week. Got bored of WoW largely because I played for waaaaay too long (over 4 years). Plus, it's not the same old boring swords and magic theme that most mmorpg's go for.

Ok, fine, it's swords and magic IN SPAAAAACE, but still.

Any advice on a class? I played a druid in WoW, gravitated towards "tanking" - but largely I liked the versatility of the class. Any class in TOR that maps generally to a druid?
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #413
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post

Gonna give TOR a try later this week. Got bored of WoW largely because I played for waaaaay too long (over 4 years). Plus, it's not the same old boring swords and magic theme that most mmorpg's go for.

Any advice on a class? I played a druid in WoW, gravitated towards "tanking" - but largely I liked the versatility of the class. Any class in TOR that maps generally to a druid?
well your not going to get all 3 aspects out of any class (tank, heal, dps) due to the advance classes.

if you are looking at a class that can tank/dps you have quite a few options

Empire:
Bounty Hunter Powertech (my second char)
Sith Warrior Juggernaut

Republic:
Jedi Knight Guardian
Trooper Vanguard

these classes can all tank or be viable dps depending on how you spec them

currently your allowed to respec within your advanced class, but until(or if) they allow advance class changes, no class will have the versatility of a druid/paladin from wow
Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #414
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Whom are you arguing with? I personally think wow is killing itself and its age is not helping. More a natural death than being "killed" Although if TOR continues to grow in popularity and stays strong they sure won't help wow.

Quote:

Although you start out as 1 of 4 classes on each side, the Advance class you choose around level 10 makes it sort of like having 8 classes per side...

Right now you cannot switch advance classes. I personally hope it stays this way... each Advance class has 3 skill trees (which can be reset) - its exactly how wow does it now. No single Advance Class can tank, dps and heal. If they do allow Advance Class switching down the road then yes there are lots of druid/paladin like classes, well 50% - Consular/Inquisitor and Trooper/Bounty Hunter. So if you wanted to hedge your bet you'd pick one of those.

Republic
-Jedi Knight:
Jedi Sentinel (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing. Wields dual Lightsabers)
Jedi Guardian (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing, Tanking. Wields a
single Lightsaber)

-Jedi Consular:
Jedi Shadow (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)
Jedi Sage (Roles: Mid-Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)

-Trooper:
Vanguard (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Ranged Tanking)
Commando (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)

-Smuggler:
Gunslinger (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, wields dual pistols)
Scoundrel (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Healing, wields scatter gun)

Empire
-Sith Warrior:
Sith Marauder (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing. Wields dual Lightsabers)
Sith Juggernaut (Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing, Tanking. Wields a
single Lightsaber)

-Sith Inquisitor:
Sith Assassin (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)
Sith Sorcerer (Roles: Mid-Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)

-Bounty Hunter:
Mercenary (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)
PowerTech (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)

-Imperial Agent:
Sniper (Roles: Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing)
Operative (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Healing)

Last edited by MaDMaN_26; 12-28-2011 at 11:46 AM.
MaDMaN_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDMaN_26 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #415
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
hahaha I totally just nailed a chick in my story line.

Spoiler for Inquisitors on Nar Shaddaa
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #416
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
Whom are you arguing with? I personally think wow is killing itself and its age is not helping. More a natural death than being "killed" Although if TOR continues to grow in popularity and stays strong they sure won't help wow.

No one specifically - just always found it odd that people approach the mmo market as an all or nothing, king of the hill situation.

The jedi consular/sith inquisitor sounds interesting. Do the ranged weapon based classes function like hunters do in WoW (select target, click auto-attack, go get sandwich) or is it more interactive (click to shoot)?

Getting irritated that I'm stuck at the office today now :P
Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #417
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
well your not going to get all 3 aspects out of any class (tank, heal, dps) due to the advance classes.

if you are looking at a class that can tank/dps you have quite a few options

Empire:
Bounty Hunter Powertech (my second char)
Sith Warrior Juggernaut

Republic:
Jedi Knight Guardian
Trooper Vanguard

these classes can all tank or be viable dps depending on how you spec them

Jedi Consular Shadows have a tank tree as do Sith Inquisitor Assassins. They are both considered Avoidance tanks.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #418
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No one specifically - just always found it odd that people approach the mmo market as an all or nothing, king of the hill situation.

The jedi consular/sith inquisitor sounds interesting. Do the ranged weapon based classes function like hunters do in WoW (select target, click auto-attack, go get sandwich) or is it more interactive (click to shoot)?

no auto attack in this game so the sandwich will have to wait until a pause in the action
Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #419
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

There is no auto attack in this game. Each attack must be activated by you. It may seem like a small difference but I find it makes the combat alot more engaging...

My main is a Sith warrior Juggernaut. But I did try a Inquis as a healer in beta and have one at level 14 currently. I think the class is a blast. I have not tried the tanking tree though... I like purple lightning too much :P

I also have not tried the ranged tanking of a BH/Trooper - the idea is interesting to me... might be really fun or a very weird mechanic. People that are Powertechs have been saying they are fun on my server.

As for "wow killing" - I agree with you. But there are a few caveats... even Blizz came out and said they think their is room in the market place for two or more large and successful MMO's like theirs. I tend to wonder though... if its a pay to play I see a problem... people can have as many F2P accounts as they want and try different games whenever they want. But with a subscription based game that's 12-15 bucks a month, so then 26-30 for two etc... I wonder how much people are willing to spend a month... especially when each game demands an significant investment of time... so if most subscribers due to either cost, time or both have to pick one or the other to play then the all or nothing view point comes into effect. I'm still not sure enough to say one "killed" the other but certainly they impact each other a little.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #420
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Removing auto-attack is probably the best thing I could hope for. Yup, definitely loading this up tonight. How long did it take to download off the EA store?

I think Blizzard offering Diablo 3 for free for people who get a year subscription to WoW says volumes about where they think the marketplace is. But I doubt they have an answer - they are addicted to the cash cow atm.

I really wish the subscription cost on these games would drop to $5-$8. Or perhaps drop the initial cost of buying the client to 10-15$. More people would try more games which just seems healthier to me.