Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #261
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

How do you get into the beta this weekend? Applied to be a tester a few days ago, haven't seen anything from them since.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #262
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
How do you get into the beta this weekend? Applied to be a tester a few days ago, haven't seen anything from them since.
The cut off for testers was Nov. 11th. You might be able to get a beta code from another site, but chances of that now are slim.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #263
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They did give a bunch of codes out to partner sites... IGN, Curse - there is a post about it on SWTOR.com (or create a post and ask, someone will send you in the right direction after 10 trolls call you stupid) I would link it but I can't get to any game sites at work, blocked.

signing up this late your probably going to be in the Sunday 10 AM CST start time "wave" but you still might be able to get a beta code from one of these sites.

Hmmm I googled and although I cant go there as its blocked, I got this link as a result. um might work..?
www.curse.com/betas/swtor-na
Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #264
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the last beta has ended...and I am now pretty sure I'm going to be getting this game. I had a lot of fun, and was able to get both my Knights and my Consular up to lvl 10 to have a look at the advanced classes.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #265
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Well, the last beta has ended...and I am now pretty sure I'm going to be getting this game. I had a lot of fun, and was able to get both my Knights and my Consular up to lvl 10 to have a look at the advanced classes.
I too had a lot of fun, Spent entirely too much time on it this weekend. I got my Sith warrior to level 23 (very cool looking ship btw, from the outside anyway, they all seem to be the same inside) I tried the maruader AC, dual Lightsabers is fun. A counselor to 13-14 ish... enjoyable, tried healing tree and did the first flashpoint for the republic side successfully. Imperial Agent to level 12, tried sniper out... seems powerful and I like his first companion a lot. Took a smuggler to level 5 but was having so much fun with the other classes I didn't spend much time on him.

My biggest struggle with this game is going to be picking one class as a main. I honestly cant decide which story I want to see finished, I'm hooked on almost any I've tried... although the republic side interests me less than the empire still. I have also gotten a inquisitor to level 22 and a Bounty Hunter to level 12 or 13 in previous beta's so i have a lot of story lines to compare and choose from... classes I didn't think I'd enjoy I ended up loving.

Biggest worry/frustration this weekend was this build - which while it will be patched several time before launch - I hear may be the build they go live with and it was buggier than the previous builds I tested - the first two beta weekends. I saw more graphical glitches this weekend, the map glitch was a huge pain, other peoples companions spamming your chat and speakers constantly even when they are not around... tons of little bugs all over that where not there before... I don't understand how a later build can be so much more buggy than previous builds... A little worrisome. But all in all a lot of fun... although I will be expecting many patches the first few months.

I Grouped with a friend of mine on Saturday and we spent a good 12 hours questing together before real life reminded us to eat etc... tons of fun doing the same quests together while chatting on vent... it still needs some polish but I overall enjoyed myself. Can't wait for launch.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #266
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
My biggest struggle with this game is going to be picking one class as a main. I honestly cant decide which story I want to see finished, I'm hooked on almost any I've tried... although the republic side interests me less than the empire still. I have also gotten a inquisitor to level 22 and a Bounty Hunter to level 12 or 13 in previous beta's so i have a lot of story lines to compare and choose from... classes I didn't think I'd enjoy I ended up loving.
This is pretty much my problem, too. I think I will take a Sith up the Marauder route and see how that goes. I did quite like the Alliance Consular path, too. This is pretty much the first time I've ever been more interested in the 'bad' side over the 'good'. That'll be interesting, too.

Pre-ordered the digital version.

Here's hoping to be able to start playing on the 15th. ;P
Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #267
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This is pretty much my problem, too. I think I will take a Sith up the Marauder route and see how that goes. I did quite like the Alliance Consular path, too. This is pretty much the first time I've ever been more interested in the 'bad' side over the 'good'. That'll be interesting, too.

Pre-ordered the digital version.

Here's hoping to be able to start playing on the 15th. ;P

when did you enter your pre-order code? Sooner you entered it on the website the sooner you get early access... if your just doing it now... expect a day or two... just so your not super disappointed when you don't get 5 days...
Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #268
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BTW if you did betas this weekend and plan to play the game come release, do not delete the 20+gb install... they are patching this build to gold.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #269
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Only 2(ish) more weeks!!

I wonder how my boss will react when I tell him i'm going on vacation to a galaxy far, far away
Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #270
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
BTW if you did betas this weekend and plan to play the game come release, do not delete the 20+gb install... they are patching this build to gold.
I entered it yesterday when I decided to get the game. I figured if I got in early at all, that would be excellent.

I did uninstall the download though. >.<
Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #271
YYC-Solo
Draft Pick

Quote:
Thanks for that, I was wondering if this was the case and truley hoping it was! Now we dont have to worry about downloading a huge game for release

You can even keep patching it between now and then to lessen the load even more for your early access.
YYC-Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #272
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Invites went out yesterday for a much smaller final beta weekend, so check your spam folders...

I was not invited, and I'm happy with that as 3 beta weekends is lots, and leveling yet another toon just to have it deleted is not that appealing when the game is 2 weeks out from release... I just want to play the game in a live environment... If they released today I'd be fine with the existing bugs I saw last weekend.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #273
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are you guys giving this game so far out of 10 based on the beta?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #274
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on what I saw out of the beta, and knowing what I like in a game (keeping mind I saw it for a grand total of 3 days...) I'd say that it's a pretty solid 7 of 10.

Thing is, I expect a lot from an MMO's beginning area, and I expect a lot of work put into that and it to be polished. It was, so that's a good plus. The score may go higher or lower depending on what the higher level content is like.

What I really, really like is that it really is like a single player game with MMO elements added in.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #275
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I'd say that it's a pretty solid 7 of 10.

Yikes.

What's scary is that you're about dead on with that. I'd say 7 out of 10 is the correct review.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #276
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Yikes.

What's scary is that you're about dead on with that. I'd say 7 out of 10 is the correct review.
Why is that scary?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #277
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Why is that scary?
Because for the amount of time and money dumped in this should not and, from an EA perspective, cannot be an average 7/10 game.

I hate WoW with almost my entire being but, current story aside, I am still giving it 8 or 9 for the game it is and what it has available.

TOR, a game I was looking forward to and still am excited to play the finished product of is still only getting a 7 from me and now you. I suspect that if you weed out the fan boys after launch that 7 will be about right.

Yikes.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #278
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because for the amount of time and money dumped in this should not and, from an EA perspective, cannot be an average 7/10 game.

I hate WoW with almost my entire being but, current story aside, I am still giving it 8 or 9 for the game it is and what it has available.

TOR, a game I was looking forward to and still am excited to play the finished product of is still only getting a 7 from me and now you. I suspect that if you weed out the fan boys after launch that 7 will be about right.

Yikes.
Hm, true. While I do enjoy Star Wars, I've never really been a 'fan boy' of it.

Some friends of mine from different online communities were really looking forward to this. The only reason I tried it at all was because of the beta invite I got. From that invite, I went from "Yeah, I've heard some things about the game." to "I'm pre-ordering now!" I am excited for it, but don't want to let that get away from me. I am giving it a 7/10 based on the two starting areas I worked through (and the one I ran through without paying any attention to story) which, to me, is pretty good.

However, this is Bioware's first mmo. I am willing to give it ~6 months live or so before really taking a look at it and putting a 'real' rating on it. However, I also like it enough to recommend to a friend of mine who doesn't like MMO's...so he'll be coming over and giving my copy a whirl.

I guess I should have said "7, with the potential to be a 9".

I admit to a bit of curiosity about your WoW rating, too. I played WoW for a long, long time, and based on that in addition to what I know of the game these days (keeping in touch with friends who still play it) I'd say that it's sitting around a 6-7 and dropping. It could just be that my standards are rising, too, though.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #279
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

I admit to a bit of curiosity about your WoW rating, too. I played WoW for a long, long time, and based on that in addition to what I know of the game these days (keeping in touch with friends who still play it) I'd say that it's sitting around a 6-7 and dropping. It could just be that my standards are rising, too, though.
Playability. It's an easy game to jump into and know what you're doing.

Content. While the content may not be as hard as it once was raiding wise, there is still a lot and it is still with wide varieties and mechanics that do take time to learn as they come out. While they will do the same mechanic twice, they tweak it in some way. Factor in Battlgrounds, Arena, dailies, heroics. You're really never with something to do.

Graphics. They aren't off the chart omg amazing. But The first time you go to STV pre Cata, you're kinda in shock and awe. Dalaran is still one of the most impressive feats in gaming for such a populated game. Post-Cata Barrens looks amazing. The character models are the only thing that I have an issue with, but I know why they are the way they are and that look is what allows the game to have longevity.

Innovation. All the things WoW has brought to MMOs cannot be ignored or denied here. A big part of my problem with TOR is that it is an admitted clone of WoW that ignores much of the innovation given.

Customer Service. Blizzard is just ridiculously good at getting back to people hearing what they have to say. Very important in a game where feed back will come from every direction.

The only failing grade it gets is current story.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #280
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Playability. It's an easy game to jump into and know what you're doing.

Content. While the content may not be as hard as it once was raiding wise, there is still a lot and it is still with wide varieties and mechanics that do take time to learn as they come out. While they will do the same mechanic twice, they tweak it in some way. Factor in Battlgrounds, Arena, dailies, heroics. You're really never with something to do.

Graphics. They aren't off the chart omg amazing. But The first time you go to STV pre Cata, you're kinda in shock and awe. Dalaran is still one of the most impressive feats in gaming for such a populated game. Post-Cata Barrens looks amazing. The character models are the only thing that I have an issue with, but I know why they are the way they are and that look is what allows the game to have longevity.

Innovation. All the things WoW has brought to MMOs cannot be ignored or denied here. A big part of my problem with TOR is that it is an admitted clone of WoW that ignores much of the innovation given.

Customer Service. Blizzard is just ridiculously good at getting back to people hearing what they have to say. Very important in a game where feed back will come from every direction.

The only failing grade it gets is current story.
Ok, I can see that. As I've previously mentioned, I don't have a lot of experience with TOR, though I do know that Bioware does keep in touch with it's customers.

A lot of this stuff I have to wonder if it's due to WoW's time in the field, as it were. With it having been around for 7 years, there had better be a lot of things to do.

Now, Bioware needs to learn it's WoW lessons, and keep up the things to do, but I think that they are up to the task. Should be an interesting trip to watch, I think.